2012 May 6th DUXFORD meeting

• The meeting at Duxford is one of the best, and this year it is the only one as the summer show is cancelled due to the Olympics. The meeting is in the grounds of the Duxford Imperial War Museum which is not only a fascinating place, loaded with history of its important role in WWII, but also a working airbase with flying examples of warbirds - one of my favourite places in the UK.

The car show is not just for BMW's, all makes are present from all era's, even a few motorbikes make an appearance, a whole bunch of Vincent HRD's turned up last year. Here's the most Delorean's I've seen in one place, and yes, a few have been converted for time travel:

The BMW contingent was traditionally organised by the late, and much missed Bernie Howell. Bernie always managed to persuade a lot of members to turn up, the largest contingent being the 7-Series (E32/E38), but we have recently increased the number of E31's considerably:

This year, the 7-Series and the 8-Series are being organised by Tash from The7SeriesRegister:

http://the7seriesregister.co.u…index.php?showtopic=18773

We generally meet up at MacDonalds which is just East of Duxford on the A505, and then head for Duxford around 9:00 or so (depending on how quickly we manage to digest the food). We enter by the car show gate which is around 500 yards past the main entrance. The entrance fee is around a tenner per person, which is a lot cheaper than the standard entrance fee - sometimes the gate asks which car club we are affiliated to - just for statistics as far as I know.

For the last four years we have always parked in the same place as shown on the map below:

The gates stay open all day, you can also get out if you need to, although trying to get out while everyone is trying to get in is probably not a good plan.

This is not a formal meeting, our cars are not 'show cars' and everyone is friendly. We have only been beaten by the weather once, and we still had good fun, we normally get sunburnt. There is no need to register with me or The7SeriesRegister, you can just turn up on the day.

Not to be missed!

• Gents as we are only a week away I thought I would give this a bump. I had planned to spend today giving the car a clean etc but in the times of hose pipe bands what more can I expect... constant rain!!!!. Well I hope the weather gets better for next weekend. Timm are you going to be able to confirm the details of the Mcdonalds meeting point. Also is there anyone else coming from west london.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Wettest drought on record I think :hmmmm:

Been wanting to do stuff to the car all month but haven't been able to get near it. Made the the mistake of leaving the car cover off for one week, despite the wind and rain loads of tree buds landed on it and glued themselves on, can't get the bloody residue off.

Determined to go Duxford though whatever the weather.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Zitat von Lloyd;98947

Also is there anyone else coming from west london.

I'd be happy to try and meet you early Lloyd, so we could convoy it -- but as it happens I'm nearer the M11 than you probably..
    I know a killer shortcut from my area to the M11 via Muswell Hill, I'm not sure if you would use the North Circ or what but let me know if that maybe a good idea.

However in sheeting rain I'd probably forego it. And 'sheeting' is putting it as politely as possible.

• Talking of sheeting.
    Does anyone know how long Camskill take to deliver a sheeting tyre once ordered?

Currently got a scruffy 235/40 17 on my passenger rear side (should be 265) after a minor mishap this weekend..took me about 3 hours to loosen the sheeting nuts..plus I had to borrow an industrial jack from the local tyre fitters.

• Hope it clears up as really looking forward to this trip!
    As mentioned on another site I have over 250 various car mags if anyone wants them. Will bring to Duxford if you let me know by this Friday. BMW Car, Car and loads of Classic Car.

• Yes, The7SeriesRegister meets up at MacDonalds before the show (well, some of them do). We should be there as long as we don't get delayed. Don't miss it - even if it is pouring down and with a 90MPH wind (been there in those conditions before!), there is still loads of covered museum areas to explore - and a couple of restaurants.

• I think I may have improved the chances of good weather - have damaged a muscle in my shoulder digging up a tree. Driving is seriously painful.
    Murphy's Law dictates that if I can't get to this event which I've been looking forward to for some time, the weather should be ideal!

Haven't given up yet, so if I'm there, the same law will mean I'll bring the rain and gales with me ;)

• Zitat von ukzero;98990

I think I may have improved the chances of good weather - have damaged a muscle in my shoulder digging up a tree. Driving is seriously painful.
    Murphy's Law dictates that if I can't get to this event which I've been looking forward to for some time, the weather should be ideal!

Haven't given up yet, so if I'm there, the same law will mean I'll bring the rain and gales with me ;)

Only a shoulder! You've got another one

• Yes - this is to do with Duxford - hopefully.
    My shoulder was so bad I went to a Chiropractor yesterday to try and get some immediate relief. This was my first experience of such things.
    After some "gentle" manipulation of my neck (:bash:) my shoulder feels noticeably better, which is good, but I've now lost some feeling in my right arm :roll:

Anyway - as my car's an auto and steering's not that critical when driving, I'll still try and get there (unless other bits of me stop working or drop off before Sunday :hmmmm:).

I won't be alone if I get there because I'll bring someone I made earlier (20 years earlier). He likes aircraft; perhaps there might be something nearby that might be of interest to him ;)

• Zitat von Lloyd;99059

Sandwich I too will be Billy no mates!

Ditto, although a work colleague might come up in his newly purchased M Sport 3 Series 330d Convertible or Optimus Prime as we call it since he demonstrated the roof mechanism.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Found MacDonald's!
    Having ruined my car for 9 months after some last minute tinkering just before Gaydon last year:ahhhhh:, I have learned my lesson and plan to do some last minute tinkering on Saturday before seeing you all on Sun...:naughty:

• Zitat von Timm;99048

perfect conditions for sunburn - you've been warned

Thanks for the tip Tim, I've chuckled at it a few times by now but probably relevant to me - I don't tan, I stroke.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!