Quick query about steering wheel

• On another forum, I was told:
    "4-spoke wheels got the colored emblem in 1994, prior to that, the "BMW" was just embossed into the airbag cover."

Is this correct?
    My car is a '98, has never had the wheel swapped out and has a plain embossed roundel..

Also, how come whenever I see an E31 4-spoke wheel on eBay, it never has a coloured roundel :hmmmm:

thanks if you know.

• Never heard of it, though it may be the 4 spoke sports wheel, the ones with thumbrests, used on E39's and E36 M3's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E3…sh=item3f129acf5b&vxp=mtr

or this E39 wheel with multi function buttons on it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OE…sh=item3a718f0872&vxp=mtr

Never seen an E31 wheel with coloured emblem.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• There are three types of the truck wheel.

Early S240 Airbag steering wheel in use from 1989/90 until the appearance of the M73 850 in 1994 (MY1995)

Post 1994 standard airbag wheel as pictured by Noggie - sold to the last day

Almost exclusively used for the UK following a period of S255 Sports steering wheel

was S710 M-steering wheel w thumb rests and embossed BMW logo without white/blue roundel (part of the "Sport" package for the UK)

S710 was available from ca. mid 1993 and regularly in use from MY1994.

Amongst the UK bound M60 and M62 there are only 2 cars where neither S255 nor S710 was specified in the build sheet which clearly explains why the steering wheel with the coloured roundel has not been spotted in an UK E31.

Here is the picture of an antipodean E31 with this wheel - for the Aussie M60 this was the standard steering wheel for 1995/1996.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Thanks Reinhard/ Noggie.

The wheel in Reinhard's second pic / Noggie's link (post '94 standard airbag wheel) - in case anyone happens to know, am I correct guessing it would be a straight swap-in to replace my S710 wheel?
    Also, Reinhard in case you're still reading this far - when you say only two appeared in UK market, I imagine they were more plentiful in the rest of Europe? (As in case I tried to source one, I could search eBay.de maybe..)
    (Always wanted a roundel but I don't buy into the three-spoke wheel myself).

ETA: The one for sale that Noggie linked to isn't that expensive even with postage from the US, I note.

• Zitat von BBMatic;98125

...am I correct guessing...?

Nope.*

Zitat

I could search eBay.de

Yes, they´re plentiful e.g. 280745916273

Zitat

Always wanted a roundel

I´d get myself a spare like Ebay 310385463168 and paint the embossed roundel to my liking, buy a stick on roundel in a colour I like etc...

*Although the old and new bus steering wheel look much the same it is indeed only the old (1989ff) and the M-steering wheel (S710) which have the identical slip ring setup.

For the sports wheel (S255) and the new style 4-spoke wheel you´d be required to make some (minor) changes on the steering column attachments, e.g. change bracket. You´d also require a 5-wire slip ring as pictured below and you´d have to fabricate a cable adapter (OEM is NLA)

Read up here what other options you have.

MF wheels as pictured by Noggie (lower) can be had cheap (ask e.g. Ebay 251031452144), all you need to take care of is to get one of the pre 1999 design, then you purchase the V8 MF module through Christoph/Martin (2-300GBP - don´t know exact figure) and you have a real improvement.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• OK - can't remember how hard it was as I did it a few years ago now, but I know it took no more than an afternoon putting this M3 E36 wheel on my car.
    Everything appears to work - air bag tests OK.

• Steering Wheel Retrim

I recently had my steering wheel re-trimmed in a combination of perforated and plain Alcantara with some red stitching. They managed to double trim it thereby adding 12mm to the overall thickness which is half what I wanted but it still feels very much nicer than the original.

I was originally tempted to have a couple of red sections in the wheel itself but thought I would regret it later, being the ultra conservative type that I am.

I also had the horn pad trimmed and it has worked well. The only problem I had with this was that the slight extra thickness prevented the horn contacts from meeting the copper strips underneath and it was necessary to insert a couple of washers to build out the gap.

I am very pleased with the overall result and I didn't think it was bad for £240 all in and turned around in a week.

• Nifty the local dealers recommended a place about 2 miles from me who re-trim etc. I plan to drop on on them and have a chat. Like you I would like it thicker etc possible with the M colours in the stitching etc There are wheels on the bay advertising

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• The steering wheel swap topic is surely one of the most often re-raised of all, sorry to start yet another thread on it.
    Only reason I did so was that despite having read up on numerous old threads (and started one or 2 on the topic already) I'd not realised there was a tractor wheel that had a coloured roundel. (& now mildly surprised I can't swap it straight into my ('98) 840 seeing as its a post-94 option, but thats neither here nor there...

• Zitat von stevep840;98150

I'm really pleased with my new wheel as recently fitted with the help of Tims Meeknet site:top: thanks bud.

Next up is to re trim airbag & fit new roundel

Steve that looks great, how is the wrapping going?

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Run out of vinyl Lloyd:harhar: should have been delivered last Wednesday so I could have finished this weekend??

After I had finished 4 or 5 panels I was getting so much more confident that looking at the first attempts I decided to remove & re-do.

I'm sick to the back teeth with it:laugh: but it does look f*****g awesome;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Steve, been quite busy recently and think the troops left without me:~)

-------------------------------------

“My hair combed back like a Ravens wing, my muscles hard and tight, and coming from the business end of my gun was a query mark of cordite”

• Zitat von e31gixxxer;98171

Is that what your talking about b?

Non roundel tractor wheel, with roundel fitted!

Well yes it is. But I was advised :naughty: ..the roundel could pose a hazard in the event of airbag deploy..but I really want one.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!