Thats how you should treat your e31.

• This is from Detailing world and I am just stunned.
    It was done by Defined Detail, no affiliation, but just wanted to share this. It blew my mind.

Just starting to work my way through the backlog of photos I have stored on my PC. Not all of them will make it to write up format though I'm afraid. I do post daily updates and photos on my Facebook and Twitter though :thumb:

This 850 CSI was bought to me to prepare ahead of the BMW National Festival at Gaydon with the brief of 'do what you can' - essentially concours prep without delving into the restoration side of things. The car was left with me at my unit in Billingshurst for 10 days.

The main area of concern was the engine bay that was coated in a combination of factory silicone coating and engine lacquer, and over the years the heat had had it's effect on it al and was now yellowing and peeling. This turned out to be the bane of my life for a full day in the end :mad:

First up, get the car up in the air and remove the wheels to access the arches fully, and clean the wheels inside and out:

Wheels cleaned with Smart Wheels, tyres and arches with Bilt Hamber Surfex.

Wheels prepped with Auto Finesse Rejuvenate and sealed with mint rims:

Arches dressed with Autosmart Finish:

Then on to the engine bay:

Before:

After:

Numerous products, brushes and tools were used to achieve the desired result, and a lot of hard graft and elbow grease started to get the engine bay looking far more presentable.

With the engine bay looking cleaner, the first coating of Autosmart Finish was applied and left to dry naturally which would be revisited later in the detail.

Next up, prepare the exterior - a thorough wash regime to start. Foamed with Bilt Hamber Autofoam:

and wash via the 2 bucket method:

Rinse, de-tar, Iron-X and finally clay with Bilt Hamber medium:

Rinse, roll the car inside and towel dry, before blowing any excess water out of crevices with warm, blown air:

Then begin mapping paint readings which highlited the boot was particularly low:

a couple of small areas of paintwork:

and a rough average around the remainder of the car:

hologrammes were visible upon delivery though, so it was clear the car had seen some machine polishing work in the past.

After trialling various polish and pad combinations I settled on ye olde faithful Scholl S17+ on a 3M yellow pad. All photos are prior to any refining work:

Some deeper RDS remaining, but achieving decent levels of correction and improvement in overall gloss / clarity levels without sacrificing the clearcoat at all, leaving plenty of scope for future work should it ever be required.

Paintwork was later refined with 3M ultrafina on matching pad and cleansed with Auto Finesse Rejuvenate ready for LSP.

Moving on to the interior, typically the camera was starting to run low on battery so the pictures become somewhat limited. That said, the interior was in fantastic condition to begin with, so there was very little for me to capture.
    A 50/50 on the leather:

followed by wet extraction of all carpets and overmats, deep cleaning of all plastics, polishing chrome trim, polishing windows etc etc.

The interior was completed between coats of Auto Finesse Tough Coat and Spirit curing on the paintwork.

By the time the car was ready to photograph in all it's glory, the rain had arrived, so I had to grab a very short break in the rain for some finished shots. I also took the remainder of these indoors.

Glass was cleaned with ValetPro Glass cleaner, front screen sealed with G-Techniq G5. Exhausts polished with Auto Finesse Mercury. Tyres dressed with CarPro Perl.

First up the interior:

the engine bay:

the exterior shots:

Thanks for looking,

Rich @ Refined Detail

• Have a friend that does this, he is one of two authorized Swissvax detailers in the country.
    It's absolutely amazing what he can do to a car.

This guy is up there with Paul Dalton.

Check his facebook site and behold some dream cars getting a detailing.

http://www.facebook.com/TommysCARSPA?fref=ts

This is his 97 M3 that he spent over 80 hours detailing.

http://www.detailersclub.no/fo…l__+e36%20+m3#entry266164

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I am fairly certain this is the car in question as I was talking to the owner at Gaydon about his engine detailing. I was staggered at the quality of the work and could not believe it had been done without stripping out a number of components from the engine bay but was assured it had all been done in-situ. The owner had not long had the car and did let me think for a few hours that he had done the work himself. It was only at the end of the day when he gave me the details for the chap in Billingshurst that had done the work that I realised it had been done professionally. Billingshurst is very near to me so I might go and visit for a chat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmwccgb/7846438554/

Just as a reality check for all of us wannabe detailers, this car didn't even get a place in the concours :shock:

Cheers
    Graham

• Outstanding...
    This seems to be CC88189, formerly owned by Peter Rice, sold only a couple of months ago.

With all that work done and reading "car was left with me at my unit in Billingshurst for 10 days." along with "turned out to be the bane of my life for a full day in the end" - what are the charges for such a painful experience?

Anyone an idea?

Cosmoline is actually quite easily removed via dry ice blasting. Half an hour and it´s gone (currently 100EUR for a "like new" engine compartment here).

Cheers
    Reinhard

• If you let them have your car please tell them to make a similar write up :D

• Just as a very rough price guide Reinhard, in 2010, I paid a little over 450 GBP for a full detail but be warned, that was Hungarian pricing. The whole job took nearly 4 days to complete. Such work I would expect to be more expensive in the UK but it's worth it - most especially if you're ever considering selling the car, the detailing costs can be more than offset by the sale value increase 8in an ideal market of course).
    Cheers,
    Jason

PS detailing pics of my car are in my galeries if you want to take a look at the sort of work that was done

• Zitat von reinhard;104303

Cosmoline is actually quite easily removed via dry ice blasting. Half an hour and it´s gone (currently 100EUR for a "like new" engine compartment here).

Cheers
    Reinhard

Is there anywhere in the uk ideally the south that offers this?

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Richard from Refined Detailing came to see me on Friday to discuss some work. He is going to have the car for three weeks while I am away and hopefully work his magic on the bits I find difficult to cope with, mainly the engine but a few other areas as well. I think there are times when it just makes sense to let the experts do things as they have the correct chemicals and know how. The engine bay alone is likely to be in the region of £200 and his first impression was that mine wasn't quite as bad as CC88189.

One question he asked is how do the side trims come off? I have searched a few posts but cannot locate the answer. Do they simply pull out and are there any nasty bits that might break off?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
    Graham

PS. Andre, I have asked him to take some progress photos and to do a similar write up to the CSI.

• I absolutely love these British detailing jobs, but it stuns me that they will spend so much time and energy on a car, always just to roll it out onto a dirt road right outside the garage.

• Well I finally got round to having my engine bay detailed and while it was there Richard did the wheels and arches for me and finally presented it with a good hand polish.

The photos are not in any particular order but I'm sure the differences will be obvious. I was blown away when I saw Richard's work and therefore had very high expectations.

I was not disappointed:) http://s589.photobucket.com/us…%20Harmes%20-%20BMW%20850

Cheers
    Graham

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!