Banjobolts again x 2

• Two cars in my garage with open hood :cool:

Checking of Banjobolts and other preventive maintenance like gasoline hoses and water hoses.

One car with 125k km and the other 225k km
    And guess what , 6 loose ones on my car and 4 loose on the other :ahhhhh:
    Luckily no damage to the camshafts :top:

• A very typical M70 picture. I dare to bet that there isn't a single M70/S70 out there which does not have or had this issue.
    Did you also check the cam timing?

Cheers
    Wolf

• Zitat von wokke;105174

A very typical M70 picture. I dare to bet that there isn't a single M70/S70 out there which does not have or had this issue.
    Did you also check the cam timing?

Cheers
    Wolf

Cam timing is on the plan as well, but we felt that we did a good job yesterday dismanteling both cars , so we stopped there.
    I see there is a lot of suggestions on hove to prevent / fix those bolts, but have also heard that byuing new bolts with treadlocking coumpound already applied is more then good enough :hmmmm::hmmmm:

What do you guys think??

Regards
    Terje

• the cam timing tool in in my mailbox, just pick it up this afternoon.

My car did not have any loose banjo bolts with ~150k km on the clock, but I lockwired them just like Gerry did just in case :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• As with many tasks like this, different people have differing preferences on locking them, usually dependant on experience and background.

As an old engineer, I prefer to see a positive mechanical lock in there so my vote goes to the wire locking.

I have also seen home made tab washers used but this seems like a lot more effort to no benefit.

I am mildly suspicious of the new bolts using the pre-impregnated loctite as BMW are just using the cheapest, easiest mass production fix.

My least favourite option is applying threadlock to the old banjo's. These will have threads that have been rattling about for many thousands of miles and are oil transfer vessels, so I dont see any solidified threadlocker anywhere near those tiny oil galleries as being a good idea, (any probably why BMW used a dry locker rather than just tell the technicians to use threadlock.)

I am just a split pin man rather than a nyloc nut kinda guy I spose!

Finally, after doing all that, you would be silly not to reset the cam timing.

• Zitat von chusher;105211

In Spain, several 8s have had that problem, I tighten past summer, the 8 screws
    2 were loose,:banghead:
    5 loose:stoned:
    1 very well :top:

http://www.e31.es/foro/showthr…llos-del-carril-de-aceite

Non with damages cam's? , I wonder hove often the cam's get damaged due to this :hmmmm:

And did you replace the banjo's ? I am now a bit confused on what to do :harhar: as it seems to be many good way's of doing this.
    I was planning to use new ones with preapplied torque locker fro BMW.

For sure it seems like many car's can have this issue.

Regards
    Terje

• It's would be best to replace the banjo-bolts completely. The pre-applied threadlocker may work, but you'll never be sure. It may be OK for a year or two and then... However, I guess for the threadlocker to have the best chance of working you'd need to degrease the female threads.

I would buy a set of new bolts and then drill the heads so that they can be wire-locked, or improvise a fold-over lock washer. Also, I am sure Nordlock washers would work well here, but as they fit in pairs, they may add too much height (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

• Much easier (for most) than drilling bolts although probably not certifiable by the Air Force:

Link already posted by Richard (smileitsme)

I quite like the Nordlock video esp. showing that all other methods commonly employed seem to be rubbish... :roll:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Yes, I quite like that system, Reinhard.

(I never could understand how spring washers would prevent bolts from undoing..)

We have been using NordLock washers at work for some 20 years. Particularly on transport, aerospace or military equipment, they do work very well.

But for banjo-bolts, normally a soft crush washer of copper or aluminium is used (like on oil-drain plug) to provide a seal. The Nordlock washers would not provide a tight seal, although I suspect a tiny leak would not matter too much here.

Still, I think your method looks simple and very good.

• Need to give Engl an order here I think :)

Regards
    terje

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!