New stoppers.

• With 20" wheels my kit could have used 400mm discs with 8 pots on the front and 380mm rears with 6 pots. All my kits used the same braided hoses as the standard replacement hose kits I offer. But as you needed wheels that I considered so rare on an E31, I thought it pointless offering such a kit.

I stayed with the 355mm kit as at least the 18" wheel is the most common upgrade for the car and was an OEM option. Limiting the fit to a 17" wheel and you may as well just buy a set of CSi brakes.

8Tech.

• Zitat von arnie;106067

So what's a good upgrade for a CSi?

You really do not need to upgrade the CSi brakes. In full working order, they are as good as it gets and may only really start to complain on a track car.

The trouble with the Brembo kit is they only offer front kits, so the brake balance is lost.

This was my reasoning for creating a "brake performance option", maintaining the correct brake balance with a full 4 wheel kit. I also tried to actively discourage the term "Big Brake Kit" from my offering as I felt it was a more balanced performance option, not just bunging on some big calipers from something else, making them fit and then selling them more for appearance than function.

Never mind, I sell plenty of Brembo stickers!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…1&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

8Tech.

• 8Tech - i notice you're selling an EDC module.

Gerry sorry to go OT here a bit but would you mind telling me - i have an EDC car that had the 'EDC delete' carried out by BMW at some stage.

IF i wanted to restore EDC is there any chance you could list the separate tasks involved and also list every item i would need to acquire in order to restore it? I am really hoping to try and cost the reversal.

also, would it be likely that despite my EDC being deleted, the EDC module would remain inside my car somewhere (hopefully still working?) and therefore i wouldn't necessarily have to buy a spare like the one you have?

If this all sounds like too much effort then feel free to brush me off i'm just asking in case you feel kindly disposed or have a few spare minutes while its raining maybe!

I've seen rumours that there is a place in France that refurbs faulty EDC shocks at a reasonable price, but i'm not sure what i would need if trying that route - presumably i would need to re-acquire EDC shocks in any event? Just have no idea what kind of shopping list i'm looking at.

many thanks if so, Burn :top:

• BB. There is a shop in Poland that does that also and I know of shocks for you.
    Those breaks are amazing Gerry. Its a shame you wont be offering them, but someday you maybe change your mind.
    Are there any upgrades available for the CSI brakes like some super good brake pads and discs?

• Zitat von Fatandre;106099

BB. There is a shop in Poland that does that also and I know of shocks for you.

Are you saying you know someone with EDC shocks ?
    i need the facts about EDC restore checklist from someone before i even think about buying parts etc.

• Zitat von Fatandre;106103

I am saying I know of EDC shocks for sale.
    should be around 300 front and rear and the edc computer is 45

I may be interested depending on condition, and whether i can establish total amount of work / parts needed / cost. Thanks for letting me know. i get back to you!

• Hi Burn,

I maybe wrong but I thought the M Sport suspension you have in your car was generally an upgrade option over EDC, I know it was in mine. Why would you want to go down this route? Not criticising, just curious:dontknow:

Cheers
    Graham

• I believe in the UK the 840Ci (Sport) was available either with M-sport springs/dampers or EDC springs/dampers, but both were considered 'Sport' and EDC was more expensive. I've tried it in my friend's car and the option of the Komfort setting is great for smooth motorway cruising and around town with pot-holed roads. The S setting appears marginally firmer than the M-sport set-up, and of course EDC is supposed to react better to cornering and dynamic situations. However, even EDC-III only has two valves on each damper to provide the different settings, which effectively only gives 3 settings: one-valve, the other valve or both open/close.

If we could get an infinately-variable ferro-fluid system that could be great....

• I find the EDC really useful - it takes out any vibrations,bumps when motorway cruising but at the flick of a switch the suspension is nice and firm for cornering with good road feel. There is certainly a discernible difference between the settings.

My journeys start with 1/2 mile of rough track before I get to the main council adopted asphalt road, so the Komfort setting is essential!

My personal opinion of course!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Hello Burn,

I would say it would depend on how or when BMW deleted the EDC system.

If you have all of the wiring loom for it in the car, then you would certainly need 4 EDC struts, complete with EDC coil springs, the module and a switch.

I would say your first job is to search out all the associated wiring for the system on your car to make sure all of the connectors are still there and which components are still present.

If all the connectors are there, then a few hours checking the continuity between each connector would be the next task before you spend a lot of cash only to find it does not work.

If it was there and then removed, you have a 90% chance of refitting it, if it was deleted at build, then I would be more pessimistic about retro fitting it.

Buying used dampers? Why were they removed? At up to 20 years old, you may well find the settings of "sport" and "comfort" become "wallowy" and "soggy" requiring a rebuild.

Someone got a set rebuilt on one of the forums and they didn't even fit the car when they got them back so be cautious. They fitted the wrong strut insert so the top mount didn't even fit! That makes be wonder what the difficult bit inside was like. Don't know if they ever sorted it out either.

Of all the E31's I have driven, I have yet to drive one with an EDC system that actually works as well as owners claim and I suspect that owners who have deleted it and gone to Bilsteins, believe they are too firm because their old EDC was so shockingly soggy, they got used to it.

If I thought the Bilsteins were going to be too firm, I would install the stock sport system that you already have or a CSi kit.

8Tech.

• I was one of those who wanted to keep the EDC system on my car.
    I accept that good single rate shocks can work really well (many millions of such cars prove this!) and work infinitely better than tired EDC, but I had been seduced by the dark side's dual handling personality offered by EDC (couple this with the auto/steptronic gearbox and I have multiple cars in one body to suit my mood) :harhar:

The cost of new EDC shocks would be near impossible to justify - if mine fail in the future I would have to go "single rate" :dontknow:
    Luckily, at the time I enquired, Sportsline were still doing rebuilds at about £250 a corner (they don't any more and turn down such requests).
    The rebuild only replaces some of the components, such as pistons and seals, but not the valves or bodies, so totally knackered, broken or rusted through shocks greatly reduce the risk of success/long life - one reason they stopped offering the service. My original system still worked and didn't leak, but had done 100k miles - so good rebuild material.
    Even so, in my case they did need to replace one of the seals after 12 months (no quibble and no charge), but other than that I have been thrilled :)

Burn - I presume you've been in both E31 variants. I wouldn't want to be without EDC, but many others on this forum can't wait to bin it. It is very important you experience it (working properly) first hand before spending big bucks.

• I was wrong in thinking that the Sports suspension was an upgrade over EDC. As the attached shows, both EDC and Sport were options. This begs the question, is there an E31 anywhere that has neither EDC nor Sport?

The extract implies that the M Technic sports tuned suspension offers "further sporting refinement"? As has been said on here before the sport suspension seems to sit somewhere between S&K on the EDC so would anyone know what these "sporting refinements" are?

• I have a 1997 price list.
    The £56,850 base price "840Ci Auto" lists "M Sports Suspension" as a £445 option or EDC III as a £1350 option - so yes, a base spec "840Ci Auto" has neither.
    The £56,850 base price - yes, same price!!!! "840Ci Auto Sport" has "M Sports Suspension" as standard, but then offers EDC III as a £905 extra.......

• My friend had an 840ci with the standard suspension. It was very much like driving an E32 7-Series and nothing at all like both my 840ci's with the Sport suspension.

• I believe that in the end, the ride comfort v's handling ability is as personal a choice as the colour of your car.

I saw on another forum a post asking what was the best colour for an 8!!!

If there was a "best" colour, everyone would be driving around in the same one but the variety of colours seen shows that when the car was ordered new, the original owner thought that his/her choice WAS the best colour.

It is the same with the suspension. Although I dislike the EDC system both for its complexity and reliability, at least it gave the car owner a choice of settings although I feel both were a compromise. A bit "Jack of all trades, master of none" scenario.

20 years on and the current owner may want a smooth, quiet, luxury GT and so will choose a compliant, soft suspension, whereas another may prefer a sporty, good handling car with a sporty exhaust sound and would therefore go for a Bilstein set-up.

Its a case of horses for courses and this is why we see such diversity of owners and their cars.

Neither is better or worse, just different.

8Tech.

• Zitat von 8Tech;106117

Hello Burn,

I would say it would depend on how or when BMW deleted the EDC system....

Gerry thanks, :top: i've made a note of your reply and at least now, if I did decide to restore the EDC (which is a lot to do with wanting the car 100% as it left the factory) I'll be able to refer to it as a basis for what I'll need, and hopefully cost the process ok.

There have been several quotes from those with EDC saying "I'd never relinquish it" so that also got me thinking ..but equally, I would rate my cars' current setup as very comfortable - neither cushioned nor too firm. I just don't like the fact my car has lost a feature it once had.

• Zitat von BBMatic;106156

Gerry thanks, :top: i've made a note of your reply and at least now, if I did decide to restore the EDC (which is a lot to do with wanting the car 100% as it left the factory) I'll be able to refer to it as a basis for what I'll need, and hopefully cost the process ok.

There have been several quotes from those with EDC saying "I'd never relinquish it" so that also got me thinking ..but equally, I would rate my cars' current setup as very comfortable - neither cushioned nor too firm. I just don't like the fact my car has lost a feature it once had.

You will need a pair of 100% working EDC front struts:mrgreen:

• Zitat von Nifty50;106121

.... This begs the question, is there an E31 anywhere that has neither EDC nor Sport?....

Yes, there is the standard, non-sport suspension. EDC was offered as an upgrade option on non-sports models too.

For the 840ci the "Sport" package (in the UK) included the CSi styling kit- spoiler mirrors etc, anthracite roof lining, sports suspension or EDC, sports seats, quilted door panes, 17" staggered wheels, and maybe something else that I've forgotten.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!