A strange thing happened when I changed the Batteries

• Today I replaced the batteries, thanks to Timm for a great write-up on his website.

All very easy but I have a question, when I fitted the earths I started with the RHS and immediately the hazards started to flash.

I was not sure if it was an alarm thing or the ECU detecting only one battery was connected.

I fitted the earth on the LHS battery and was hoping the hazards would turn off. No such luck, so assuming it was the alarm detecting a change in voltage I locked and unlocked the car using the remote. No effect, the hazards continued to flash.

I then had an inspired moment, I switched the hazards on and then off and that stopped the hazards from flashing.

So, the question is, why did the hazards flash and continue to flash after connection the first earth cable?

Just in case this has any bearing, when the batteries were removed I turned the ignition on as I remembered reading that would ensure that all ‘memories’ would be cleared.

The reason I changed the batteries was because even though they were less than 12 months old the previous owner/garage fitted the wrong spec.

Not only were they under powered they were also about half the size and therefore could not be clamped in place. And because they had been left for long periods in a discharged state they were probably knackered. :banghead:

A nice pair of over spec’d Varta’s are now clamped into the rear wings. :)

Phil

• Think that this is normal when the power was interrupted in the car. Every time I had disconnected the batteries hazards goes on. just switched the hazards on and then off and that stopped the hazards from flashing and everything works as it should:top:.

• Yes, I ought to add that to the routine - I just lock and unlock the car with the remote and that fixes it. I always thought that it was a function of the alarm.

• Yeah seems to be normal behaviour, mine did the same. Have you started the engine up yet? When I changed my batteries and started it up, it spluttered a bit to start with but then it sat there rythmically revving itself to 2500rpm. Sounded pretty awesome.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Zitat von shiggsy;106587

Yeah seems to be normal behaviour, mine did the same. Have you started the engine up yet? When I changed my batteries and started it up, it spluttered a bit to start with but then it sat there rythmically revving itself to 2500rpm. Sounded pretty awesome.

Oh yes, fired up straight away and quickly settled down down to a even tick over.

What a sound when it fires up, in fact I am thinking of entering my car into 'X Factor' next year. :grin2:

Phil

• Hey.. with disconnecting batteries for a longer time you made a reset of all dynamic values.. Engine ect..
    so you´ll have to make a sync driving to adapt values again..
    and the engine will fire up smooth again..

so the "strange" upfiring.. is normal in cause of standard values!!

also the flashing.. do you have an Alarm in your Car?

so no x-factor.. regular behavior ;)

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• It might be in Tim's write-up but after disconnecting/reconnecting the bateries, you'll need to reset the sun-roof and windows one-touch-opening by fully opening and closing the windows and sunroof.

The hazzard warning thing I found is common to all BMW of the same era and I think it's related to the crash detection system, where the hazzrad flashers are supposed to be activated and door unlocked.

• How ?

Zitat von arnie;106626

It might be in Tim's write-up but after disconnecting/reconnecting the bateries, you'll need to reset the sun-roof and windows one-touch-opening by fully opening and closing the windows and sunroof.

The hazzard warning thing I found is common to all BMW of the same era and I think it's related to the crash detection system, where the hazzrad flashers are supposed to be activated and door unlocked.

Please explain more about this bit....you'll need to reset the sun-roof and windows one-touch-opening by fully opening and closing the windows and sunroof.

Is there any specific method...?

Richard
    840 Ci Individual
    1995 factory CSi sport kit
    Ferrari 599 GT Red
    Hong Kong

• Zitat von Richard.H;106664

Please explain more about this bit....you'll need to reset the sun-roof and windows one-touch-opening by fully opening and closing the windows and sunroof.

Is there any specific method...?

Simple, push and hold the button so that each window fully retracts and then push the button until it fully closes. Same with sunroof.

• Zitat von arnie;106626

It might be in Tim's write-up but after disconnecting/reconnecting the bateries, you'll need to reset the sun-roof and windows one-touch-opening by fully opening and closing the windows and sunroof.

Thanks Arnie.

This is where the forum comes into its own, I would not have realised and then in a few weeks’ time would have wondered why the windows one touch feature was not working.

Phil

• Thanks mate !

Zitat von Argonaut;106666

Simple, push and hold the button so that each window fully retracts and then push the button until it fully closes. Same with sunroof.

Cheers !

Richard
    840 Ci Individual
    1995 factory CSi sport kit
    Ferrari 599 GT Red
    Hong Kong

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!