Parcel Shelf Changed Colour in Sun

• My PArcel shelf has become a cobalt blue due to the effects of sunlight - should be charcoal grey to match the headlining. Has anyone had a similar situation occur - is it possible to re-dye it? Hopefully in situ as I don't want to go to all the trouble to remove it, especially as I have the rear sun-blind option. :hmmmm:

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;108208

My PArcel shelf has become a cobalt blue due to the effects of sunlight - should be charcoal grey to match the headlining. Has anyone had a similar situation occur - is it possible to re-dye it? Hopefully in situ as I don't want to go to all the trouble to remove it, especially as I have the rear sun-blind option. :hmmmm:

Mine was the same blue as you describe. There was some difference of opinion amongst the members at the time, as to whether it was bleaching or a factory color.

I went for Black/charcoal nylon with a thin foam backing. Almost OEM looking. May change it to Alcantara when I run out of jobs.

Before

After

• At least the blue looks alright by some stroke of luck.

I wonder if it was planned during the 2 billion deutschmark R&D phase.
    'Yeah, and after 10 years, it'll change colour, but we put something in it that ensures it turns a pleasing cobalt blue'.

Edit to add: Gixx, your shelf looks really good. nice job

• Gixx: Where did you source the material and did you have to glue it to the original parcel shelf? It looks a really neat job!

8Tech: You have instilled some confidence in me to tackle the job out of the car!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• It wasn't so much the color that was the problem for me, it was the way it levitated when driving with the windows down, due to the fabric not being stuck to the shelf.
    I suppose I could have put a couple of cushions on it... No.

Slightly related: Anyone done high speed driving with the windows down/sunroof open and had items on the back seats?
    :jump:

• Mine is blue too, but I have a plan to re-do it, and the headliner/pillars in black Alcantara.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Remove or fold down the back seats.

The front edge of the shelf is held with plastic clips down in to the body, lift shelf upwards.

The rear of the shelf has metal tabs that slot in to retaining clips, pull forwards.

• Zitat von sandwich;108366

Blue here too, but in a strange way it seems to fit with the exterior hue

I like that approach, I shall apply that logic also!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!