• Hi all,
    Please forgive me if this sounds strange, or even if it doesn't end up in general european forum or posting, which i hope it will, never posted before! although i have been a member for several years and used this site to gain information to carry out repairs on my own 850, and to hear of other members exploits of woe and glee!
    I read the other day, through a link, about a gentleman who had recently purchased a CSi that had been stood outside for 12 years! what a waste i thought, how could that ever happen!
    Until i discovered recently the above mentioned Alpina, in a bit of a sorry state, and yes, it is genuine. It too, has been stood for 10 years +.
    Questions are, although you can't see it, value as it is now, and what it could worth cleaned up and respectable? it is RHD and Shiftronic, how rare is this vehicle?:dontknow:

• This is way out of my comfort zone - but a perfect example can make anything up to 80 grand, but it would have to be perfect. The problem is that if it isn't perfect it may cost a huge amount to get repaired, especially if the Shiftronic system is not working correctly - and 10+ years of inactivity will not have done it any good at all. More info here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com…NA-B12-5-7-for-sale-No-22

• Hello Rob,

this #47 is unique as it is the only CSi based RHD Alpina B12 5.7.

When it appeared as a side note in the February 2013 issue of BMWCar there was hope that either the workshop owner or one of the most experienced 8er owners in the UK would open their wallet to bring this car back to glory.

Unfortunately the basis for a restoration was deemed too poor and burdened by financial imponderabilities of the nightmarish kind. As it is there generally is no "cheap" 8er in that state, even if money was handed out to take it away. You can very easily sink 5 digit figures (not necessarily with a 1 in front) into restoring shell and paintwork proper. You may not wish to think about what Alpina might charge whenever some rather serious operation needs to be performed at the engine.

As mentioned above - Shift-Tronic is only great when it works - many of them don´t anymore and some rather vital parts have been NLA for a while and outrageously expensive before that.
    A rule of thumb based on the experience of B12 5.7 owners to follow.
    In case the Shift-Tronic system works great and without a flaw: have it removed and the car converted to manual. Shelf the extracted goodies.
    In case Shift-Tronic is playing up: have it removed and the car converted to manual, en route buy a new clutch and flywheel (IF you can). Shelf the extracted not-so-goodies.

An 8er in this state of disrepair is not for the faint of heart and quite honestly best be used as a parts car since there are many cheap ones in good working condition around (still).

It is an entirely different picture for the B12 in general and the 5.7 in that special case though.

There are only 4 RHD Alpina B12 5.7 out of the 57 cars produced in total. #´s 10 and 13 have been spoken for a long time ago and very likely today are amongst a collector´s garage queens. #8 is probably buried in a Sahara dune and #47, as noted by you, was absent from view for a long time and now needs a very, very generous & patient foster parent.

Prices for prime 5.7´s in the proper region of the world may climb as high as what Timm mentioned and possibly even higher. The average here was in the 40´s-50´s range in the past few years but there certainly seem to be more and more people interested and willing to shell out that and larger amounts of money for one of the 57.

No expenses spared #47 will probably not end up much cheaper than what is mentioned above. For this amount one would be rewarded with an entirely unique car and a lot of hats pulled for the challenge mastered.

#47 has seen better days, this much is certain. A view back can be gleaned below (2001):

Cheers
    Reinhard

Addendum: for the record - the base price of a B12 5.7 Shift-Tronic in 1995 was 278.500 DEM, which back then translated into 115.500 GBP or 181.750 USD. This amount was sufficient to break the (then) magical 300 kph (187 mph) limit.

• Thanks for the replies chaps.
    Yes, it is No.47.
    It does require a total respray and internal deep clean, yuk!
    The engine does run, but not sure about the gearbox and it requires a front screen.
    Now i'll go and dribble uncontrollably in a dark corner somewhere, as this car could have been purchased before Xmas for around 10k GBP, or less.
    Sod the costs, it deserves it.
    On a different matter, anyone from the UK going to Munich in May?

• Here some grapevine words relating to the earlier fate of the car: drinks & drugs then no money. Owner lost everything, stripped parts from B12 to keep daily driver 840 rolling.
    Serious estimate to restore car back into shape: 30k GBP.
    Don´t underestimate this estimate :D

Cheers
    Reinhard

• I have that article from September 2001 and the car had covered some considerable mileage when the article was written - over 125,000 with the 25,000 in the preceding 15 months. I also remember the footnote in the 2013 article - it was a little strange there wasn't more information about it then - it was also written as if it had found a saviour. So has it found a willing and enthusiastic owner or is it destined for a few more years of neglect and eventual destruction?

I know that there are 4 E32 B12 5.0 cars off the road in the UK with greedy and un-enthusiastic owners who won't sell for a reasonable price but also won't put a penny to preservation or restoration.

• Zitat von reinhard;117795

Owner lost everything, stripped parts from B12 to keep daily driver 840 rolling.

That's what drugs do to you....keep the 840 on the road...strip the UBER rare alpina. Yikes!

Very lamentable state of that car :(

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• Sad to see any car in that state, particularly such a rare one. However, for someone wanting to use the car (as opposed to a pure speculative investment), I think you'd get 99% of the fun and 90 % of the pleasure, from a CSi. Choice I made when offered No.10 (I think it was) some years ago. Additionally, If it's been in open weather for over 10 years, it will need more than just a respray: There are bound to be quite a few rusty areas on the body and suspension frames needing attention. And, if fitted with AHK and other goodies, which have been inoperative for all this time, it will be another area of concern as to whether they still work. . £30k is probably a good estimate.

Note also that the 416 BHP mostly came as a result of the flowed exhaust, which the UK, RHD cars did not get, as it wouldn't fit with the steering column... and not all of the 4 cars were based on the cSi, meaning, on one or two, no AHK, no uprated front wheel bearings, no reduced-ratio, speed-sensitive steering, no engine oil cooler (?), no cSi quilted interior panels etc.

• The prices as Reinhard for the e31 B12 cars - as a trend - seem to continue to rise.

Regarding B12 5.0 cars, I purchased my B12 5.0 in 2009, and asking prices for nice cars have gone up quite a bit since I purchased mine.

From what I understand, B12 5.7 cars have also increased over the past few years. In 2012 I inquired about B12 5.7 #22 which was for sale. It is a very nice example in Brokarot, and eventually sold for just over $120,000 USD if I remember correctly.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• Hi, I'm the owner of number 47 and i'm currently in the process of shipping the car to the far east where it will undergo a full restoration. I previously rescued number 35 which i sold to Peter Rice and I have been determined to find another B12 5.7 ever since. As Reinhard has stated above this is actually the only RHD B12 5.7 that was based on a CSi and as far as i know it is also the only B12 painted in Avus Blue.

The bodywork wasn't as bad as it appears in the photographs above and there is absolutely no rust anywhere on the car. The driver's side looks worse but was actually prepped for paint at some point. My lower mileage CSi in comparison has had all the usual rust issues (sunroof, jacking points rear wings etc) and i think this car actually benefitted being stored in a garage for so many years! The Alpina bonnet and front spoiler are intact thankfully.

Mechanically however the car will need some TLC. The engine starts and idles but we haven't tested the Shiftronic gearbox or AHK yet. The car will be completely stripped and repainted and all the fuel lines, brake lines etc will be replaced. The interior has come up really well with only minor trim needing replaced. The leather is of a very high quality and has aged a lot better than the standard CSi leather and i was amazed to find no real wear, even on the driver's seat. After 12 years in a dusty garage with the windows open this was the result of a first clean with just soapy water:

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/26470/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/26471/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/26472/8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/26473/

The rest of the car is surprisingly intact too and the and all the badges, plaque and history came with the car. I have the original sales brochure and Alpina wallet too. However i'm hoping someone on here can help me locate some parts. I currently need the rear upper wishbones (part no. 33321138015 x2 ) and a set of genuine Alpina wheels including the spare if possible (i would happily do a PX deal with someone if interested as i have a set of Throwing Stars, M Parallels and Bolted Cross Spokes all taking up valuable room in my garage!).

I will try to post regular updates of my progress.

• Rob - glad to see things are going well. Please keep us posted on the progress.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• Have you bought any alpinas yet, I have a set of 18 " which I bought from bmw a few years ago for my 840ci sport and still have the receipt. They are like new as they only go on the car when it is sunny (Ha Ha whenever that is). The Dunlop sport tyres look like new. The fronts are 9" ( I will check) and the rear are the 10.5". I also have 2 extra (18") which are only good for the winter or for the spare, one has a nearly new Michelin tyre and the other does not have 1 fitted.
    On the receipt it has a code which says wheel set B91.47.3.611.673. Cheers Vic

• Does anyone know what is actually problematic with the shiftronic system? I'm assuming any electronic pieces can be replicated and probably upgraded with new components. Hydraulic lines, brackets etc can also be fabricated.

Just curious

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!