Wheels and Parts

• Hello All,
    Joined the club this week and was hoping that someone might have some web addresses in uk for alloy wheels for the 8, schnitzer type 11 split rim if poss, also sites for other parts. Many Thanks.

• Wheels and Parts

Ian,
    Thanks for your reply, will have a look later today and let you know how i get on. I am also trying to find out the widest alloys i can have without touching any of the body work, if you can help it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    John.

• If somebody gets new wheels I am after some standard 17 inch dogleg 5 spokes that came on the 850csi as standard and on some 840 and 850's.

I got 18 inch hand polishes Schnitzer rims but they are a pain in the arse to keep clean in the winter. So need some winter wheels.
    [/img]

• Just a thought. Don't use AC Schnitzer wheels if you care the least bit about performance. Unlike most 18" wheels that weigh 18-20 LBS, the AC Schnitzers always seem to weigh 30 lLBS or more. Big handicap. Though the polished ones on the black car one of the members has are nice, one of my favorite "looking" wheels.

• Just a thought. Don't use AC Schnitzer wheels if you care the least bit about performance. Unlike most 18" wheels that weigh 18-20 LBS, the AC Schnitzers always seem to weigh 30 lLBS or more. Big handicap. Though the polished ones on the black car one of the members has are nice, one of my favorite "looking" wheels.

• Zitat

Just a thought. Don't use AC Schnitzer wheels if you care the least bit about performance. Unlike most 18" wheels that weigh 18-20 LBS, the AC Schnitzers always seem to weigh 30 lLBS or more. Big handicap. Though the polished ones on the black car one of the members has are nice, one of my favorite "looking" wheels.

No disrespect Stuart but I have run my car on the Schnitzers and the original 17"'s and it handles ALOT better with the Schnitzers. :lol:

I dont think 5 kg per corner unsprug weight really matters on a 2 tonne motor. Dont get me wrong, they are bloody heavy but it really does handle well. Probably something to do with the 245 front and 285 rear rubber!

• Perhaps I was too harsh in my comments. It is true that the extra tire size and superior compound and construction of your currunt setup will outperform the stockers, however the extra 10-12 LBS is still a handicap. This will not be noticed in terms of grip unless the road is rough. The extra weight slows acceleration and deceleration and decreases the suspentions ability to keep the wheel on the road. When the wheel hits a bump, the heavier wheel gets more energy put into it, which the suspension has to absorb. The extra energy causes the wheel to go higher than it would otherwise and also take longer to return to the ground. It then also has more energy on the way down and an increased tendancy to want to bounce back up again.
    The net effect of this to the driver is a harsher ride and less grip when going around a corner with rough pavement. The slower acceleration will probably not be noticable. Sprung weight vs. unsprung weight, that is key to good handling and to a good ride. Rotating mass being the worst offender to performance. Lighter wheels take more engineering and carefull metalurgy to find the ballance between strength and weight, and are often more expensive as a result, one exception to this seems to be Enkei, the rims of theirs that I have used have always been about as light as anything available, on the other hand, Konig's weights have always been on the heavy side. Both manufacturers producing the current styles and both low price leaders.

• Perhaps I was too harsh in my comments. It is true that the extra tire size and superior compound and construction of your currunt setup will outperform the stockers, however the extra 10-12 LBS is still a handicap. This will not be noticed in terms of grip unless the road is rough. The extra weight slows acceleration and deceleration and decreases the suspentions ability to keep the wheel on the road. When the wheel hits a bump, the heavier wheel gets more energy put into it, which the suspension has to absorb. The extra energy causes the wheel to go higher than it would otherwise and also take longer to return to the ground. It then also has more energy on the way down and an increased tendancy to want to bounce back up again.
    The net effect of this to the driver is a harsher ride and less grip when going around a corner with rough pavement. The slower acceleration will probably not be noticable. Sprung weight vs. unsprung weight, that is key to good handling and to a good ride. Rotating mass being the worst offender to performance. Lighter wheels take more engineering and carefull metalurgy to find the ballance between strength and weight, and are often more expensive as a result, one exception to this seems to be Enkei, the rims of theirs that I have used have always been about as light as anything available, on the other hand, Konig's weights have always been on the heavy side. Both manufacturers producing the current styles and both low price leaders.

• Tyres/Wheels

Tee
    Are the wheels on your 8 as you purchased the car or did you fit them. I am looking for a set of Schnitzer,s for my 840 235 f 265 rear all standard Mitch Pilot sports. Any ideas where to look don,nt seem to be many about. Or what look good on an 8 can,nt make my mind up.
    Alasdair

• Alasdair

I work for a BMW dealership and this csi I now own was a regular customer of ours.
    I was the technician who always looked after this car and the guy who owned it before me bought the wheels and alot of the other mods when he owned it.
    Then he decided to sell and I bought it :D

Since then I have carried out alot of other mods, but he done most the expensive stuff :D

If you are interested in the Schnitzers I can see what I can get them for, as I get a discount! but I warn you now they are not cheap!

T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!