• Although the swirl marks on my 850 are not serious and not deep, they are there. I've tried lots of products, including giving the car the full Zymol treatment (even upgraded from Zymol Carbon wax to Concours estate glaze) but I still notice the swirl marks in the sun (not that we get much here in Machester!).....

In the eternal search for that perfect finish, does anyone have any suggestions?

Nick

• Hi Nick,

My Velvet Blue 840 has some swirl marks too - it is a common problem with darker cars.

I've used Zymol on some of my cars in the past but decided to see if that was the best products as I had some varying levels of success.

I have been researching this for some time and have just this week ordered a load of detailing supplies from US - at about £300 cost - not cheap but hopefully worth it!

I got most the legendary Zaino stuff (http://www.zainobros.com)
    • ZFX
    • Z-2
    • Z-5
    • Z-6
    • Z-7

And also
    • Pinnacle PolyClay Bars
    • 3M's Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars
    • P21S Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser
    • MicroFiber Magic Towels x 2
    • Big Blue Towels x 2

I obviously haven't tried any of these yet but from extensive reading they should get my car up near to concours standards.

If you want to research the subjest yourself, I suggest you go to Roadfly Detailing forum
    http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/

Specifically look at http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/…/detailing/3579628-1.html
    as a starting point.

I found Ian at Autofiber.com to be very helpful as he has agreed to buy all the stuff for me and ship it to UK !

If you want to know any more - just ask the detailing forum guys - they know most things ! The more you get into it - the more you will amaze yourself with exactly how much there is to know and how seriously some of those guys take their cars !

Ian.

• Thanks

Hi Ian,

Thanks for replying.

I thought I was the only one with the obsession! I'll have a mooch around the sites you've mentioned.

Please let me know how you get on with the products - especially the clay bar.

I've just ordered some bits from Meguiars including the ScratchX swirl remover - I'll let you know whether it works. Just have to wait for a dry day!

Thanks once again!

Nick

• I wish this board would remeber me or keep me signed in !

Swirl marks are the circular marks left in paint (normally seen more on darker cars) which look like circular scratching caused by polishing or cleaning car when it still has small particles or dirt on it.

• Zitat von Ian_UK

I wish this board would remeber me or keep me signed in !

Swirl marks are the circular marks left in paint (normally seen more on darker cars) which look like circular scratching caused by polishing or cleaning car when it still has small particles or dirt on it.

i saw similar marks when my car got eggs thrown at it, cost £300 each to get rid of but they were very deep

• SWIRLS

If you look closely in direct sunlight, most dark cars have swirl marks. A lot of people don't generally notice them, but when it's your own car and you've spent hours washing, prepping and waxing the car and they're still there................... :evil: It can really pi** you off!

• Pics etc

When can we see the fabulous pics: velvet blue + Alpinas ?
    What about your AHK ?
    If you really have AHK + DSC, then you have the most secure (and most rare) car ever built ! Keep it till the end, whichever comes first. I wish you a pleasant evening.
    Manfred Hafner

• Zaino

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tip with Zaino.

I e-mailed them and Sal Zaino replied. I'm going to order some products and have it sent to our office in Florida who will in turn send it onto me. For anyone who hasn't got a contact in the States they can order through, Zaino have English speaking distributors in Germany and Singapore - although this would be a slightly more expensive option.

If the products are as good as I been hearing, it looks like my quest for the perfect detailing gear is over!

Thanks once again Ian,

Nick

PS Hope your 8A8Y'S getting better!

• Swirl Mark.... To Nickcropper

Hi nick
    I bought an 850 last October. I too was quite concerned with the swirl marks in the sun. (or at appropriate angles)

I spent 15 hours all together with that problem. I tried 3 kinds of swirl remover to no avail. finally I called a professional and he came to my house, looked at the car and solved the problem.

Here you go:

First of all I ERRONEOUSLY thought the swirl mark were small. :oops: I had tried 1500 grit. then 1200 grit.

Second: I had to realised that just because swirl look small they may not be. It took 800 grit to get rid of em. I didn't like at first the idea to use 800 gril but that was the answer.

Third: Perhaps you can try an 800 grit where it is not so visible and you will see for yourself. If the swirls refuse to go with what you are using chances are they are bigger than you think.

Fourth: After all this I applied 5 coats of Z5, ,3 Coat of Z2 and topped the whole work with Z6. My car looks awesome. I lit the paint with a "fluorescent" lamp and I can see no scratches.

Last: Be careful with Zaino. :? I use the product myself. If your car is not perfect before you start applying it I am afraid you will be a very sorry man. This stuff will INCREASE the seability of scratches if there are any. It will also increase seability of paint chipped. No matter how small. Garantied.

Hope this help. Let me know.

Now before you ask me to post a pic of my car... well it is in storage for the Canadian winter :( . I will in the spring.

Hope this help.

• Thanks

Thanks for the tips.

Apart from a few stone chips on the nose (not bumper), the car should come up well. I'll keep you updated.

I took Tuesday off as it was a mild and sunny day. I used Zymol HD Cleanse and Zymol Concours, but the swirls are still there. I've also ordered some ScratchX from Meguiars which should be here next week. I'll also give that a try.

From what I've heard though, it looks like Zaino is aimed at perfectionists, so it may be the answer.

Bet you're looking Look forward to the spring!

Nick

• I used Concept products, I used Surf-Ace to get the swirl marks out then I used New Horizon to polish afterwards. I used two differant, soft and hard, polishing pads on my houshold drill. :) Then topped it off with a coat of Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection. And wow it was a beauty afterwards. 8)

AutoGlym

• Clay

Nick
    As soon as I posted last night (last nite for me) I realised I forgot to mention this.

Do not underestimate the POWER of "Clay". If your car hasn't been clayed, for a while do it. do it-do it-do it. :) The paint will feel like baby skin. No kidding. Plus you will have taken off all contaminants that are at the origin of rusting the paint.

When I decided to do that I thought just to do a small part of the car because I pictured the whole job as unescessary tidious and long. Well while IT IS tidious and long I couldn't stop once I started. All those who see my car and feel the paint are stuned of the touch. Of course it yield to better finish as well.

One thing you should know about Zaino. It leave finger print very easily. I hope they can address this problem soon because it is quite anoying. You can't touch your car without seeing finger prints all over. You WILL need a rag in your trunk in permanence. Plus it does not give a deep finish. At least to my eyes. Great wax product have an edge here. But they don't last.

On the plus side it is said Zaino last months. (I don't know that for fact yet) The shine is glossy, the wet gloss one never gets tired to look at. My friends keep looking and looking at it ...and me too.

You will need several X several coats of Z5 to make a difference. If you didn't get the "Guru wax report" from Roadfly get it. They explain about Zaino. Applying Zaino is like "the least amount of application for the most result" It is not easy to get used to that. 5 unperceptible coats yeild better results than 2 big ones.
    I hope this does not come across to bully. The heart of this email is "enthousiasm" not "ordering you around" . Please forgive my english. I can speak it well enough to be dangerous with it !!! :twisted::shock::roll::)

See you around Nick. Perhaps in England or Canada...

• Thanks

Hi,

Thanks so much for your advice regarding the clay bar. I have been tempted to use one but something has always stopped me (probably because I have never used one before :? )

Thanks also for the advice regarding Zaino.

Ian recommeded that I check out the detailing section of Roadfly which I have done. It's very interesting but there are so many products out there. I will look at the Guru wax report.

Regarding your English. It is very good. It is much better than my French (assuming you are French-Canadian?).

I love Calypso red. I was torn between buying a Mauritius Blue and a Calypso Red 850, but the blue one had lower mileage and was in better condition.

Thanks once again. I am looking forward to the spring/summer - it is this time when I personally think that the 8's come to life!

Nick

• Feel Stupid!

Hi

I got Le Transporteur mixed up with Dr E31. Sorry Le Transporteur. I get too excited when I'm in the Forum and forget which car is who's (kinda like a kid in a sweet shop :P !!!!!!

That's one helluva a shine you got on your 850 there!
    Think I'll take yoru advice and go order myself a clay bar now. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,

Nick

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!