increasing power

• i am looking to increase the power of my 1998 840ci sport. nothing too expensive. what is the difference between a induction kit and a performance air filter? which 1 is better and can u fit both? also thinking of a back box and a chip?

• Have you already changed your Differential ratio ?
    If not, then you'll have to do this first...
    After some studies on my '97 840Ci, I know that putting a 3.64 instead of 2.82 would be the best...
    Now I still haven't found one at a good price :roll:

But, trust me, you'll feel the difference with that, and for a very competitive price :twisted:

• thanks, but i dont want to change the diff. i have checked this before and diifs in good condition are rare.
    im sticking to increasing the BHP.

• Well, what I would do is :

-Improving Air Intake, K&N Filter is the first thing to do, then maybe work on an induction kit, you can even do that yourself, and of course you can do both.
    -Change Exhaust system

Then maybe you can think of chipping, or even tune the motor

• Hi Ian,

I was looking at Superchips - but didn't go with them as thry have a lot of bad press in UK Bimmer community.

Do you have chips in your car ?? Is it M62 4.4 V8 ?

If so - do you have dyno results or does it just "feel faster" with the old backside dyno :)

Some guy at Powerchips wanted me to test his chips in my car - but I didn't want to be his guinea pig.

Cheers,

Ian

• Superchip

I have had a superchip in my 850 for 3 years and have never had any problems what so ever and from installation noticed a total transformation of the engine its fuel economy and performance.
    I previously had a 535i and a vauxhall calibra "brand new" i i certainly would recomend any body taking this route.
    The only thing i would not advise on is a set of k+n type cone filters as they draw warm air from the engine bay.
    Stick to the performance filters that replace the stock ones as the airboxes and standard pluming draw crucial cold air from outside the car.
    This overall improves the engines breathing due to the density and cleanesss of fresh air provided.

• G'Day Ian,

Mine is an M60 block. I haven't put in a powerchip yet but I will. I had one in my last beemer. Having done the suspension and wheels the chip had to wait for E31 piggybank to fill up again :wink:

Can't comment on the superchips, but myself & friends have had great experiences with the gold powerchips tuned for optimax (they are based in my hometown of melbourne, they would be the biggest supplier of BMW aftermarket chips in this country). I haven driven 540i (M62) with them and the increased torque is definitely more noticeable.

Just ask for a 30 day moneyback deal, the EEPROMs are easy to plug in & out of the control unit if you don't feel your getting your money's worth just plug the factory unit back in. Much easier than pulling the air filter put! Some have even used a piggyback EEPROM arrangement with a switch and you can flick back & forth between the standard & modified fuel mappings.

Seeya Ian

• power increase

Hi mate,

I notice you are after some more power. Leave the stock air filter and just make sure the filter is clean. Pulling hot air from under the hood is counter prodctive as someone else mentioned. Same goes for the exhaust. Plenty of guys have changed them but I notice none of them has back to back dyno figures and if they did they havent wanted to admit that BMW has got the system right, except maybe for sound. If you want it to sound like a V8 take out the centre muffler but make sure you keep the system joined with a crossover/balance pipe. It wont make any power difference but it will sound V8.

And as for power, you have as much as you can get without a chip and spending a packet on the inside of the mill. Change the diff and make use of the available power, its cheaper and much easier. I think you will find a good diff if you look around and I'm told they are pretty tough and really don't wear out in a hurry.
    Good luck
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• 3.64 Isn't that what the stock 850i auto has? I think it is. If so, I have one crated and ready to go sitting in my garrage. It came out of my 1992 850i when I did a diff swap last year. Car had 70,000 miles on it at the time.

• I had the 850i with auto trans. The chart shows 2.65 for the manual trans and 3.64 for the auto. The 3.64 is what I thought I had. Once again, it's all crated up and ready to ship if anyone needs one. I put 2000 miles on it so I can garuantee it is tight and quiet. The gears had no apparent wear on them or corrosion. There is no oil in it so while you are swaping out the rear cover for your application, just pour in the oil.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!