Reunion...> Is this site worth saving?

• to be totall honest: I find this site a littlebit crappy @ this moment.
    Altough it is by far the bst BMW8 site in the world there are a lot of thnigs that should change.

Why not make all the members pay?

Then it would be a lot easier to updtae this site and to improve it!
    Count me in! :twisted:

BMW 8: one of the best cars on this planet! :wink:

• Zitat von Rick_E31

to be totall honest: I find this site a littlebit crappy @ this moment.
    Altough it is by far the bst BMW8 site in the world there are a lot of thnigs that should change.

Why not make all the members pay?

Then it would be a lot easier to updtae this site and to improve it!
    Count me in! :twisted:

Because a lot of the members already HAVE paid...and seen nothing in return for their money :cry:

• I've only been a member for maybe a year now. One thing I have to say as a new member is that I'm very impressed with what Phillipe has done here!
    I know the old timers aren't happy with the site now, but lets face it. The 8 isn't a young "chick" any more and the old owners have probably sold their 850's.
    The 850 is a car that, when I was younger, I could only dream of owning. Now it's a reality. My car is 14 years old this August. But if you go out in the world to buy a new car, I dare you to find one that performs, is as sophisticated, and is nearly as beautifully awesome as the 8 series for the value!
    As I was looking for a new car to buy, I considered all the new and used cars available to me. I had a price range in mind and started thinking about all the old cars I drooled about in the past. The one that always came to mind was the 850. I am not a BMW kind of guy. I grew up worshiping the "General". My first car was a '68 Firebird, my next baby was a '84 Trans Am, then a Z-28. BMW's were funny little 4 and six bangers. Then there was that day when I opened my mail box and in my favorite magazine, Road and Track, was a supercar. THE 850!!! OMG! I read the specs, I studied the pictures, I looked at the lines of this car and I fell in love.
    This car is about passion. If you're not passionate about this car you're not the right owner. If you can walk away from your car in a parking lot without walking backwards admiring it, you're not the right owner. If you can park your car out of eyesighte at work, you're not the right owner.
    We need to focus on our beloved rare beauties, and hope that more people find the romance of the this car.
    I can only thank Phillipe for this website. As I researched information on my new purchase, I realized there was much more to this car than any other car. There were alot of people that felt the same way I felt about it.
    I saw that there was a strong following that I wanted to be part of.
    Is there a site like this for a Camero? A Mustang? A Ferrari? I haven't seen it.

Let's stop bitching about this site and enjoy what we have.

All hail the 8 series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/i]

• AT LAST A MEMBER WHO TRULY APPRECIATES THE SITE.

WE ALL KNOW THE PROBLEMS,BUT FOR A GOOD MANY OF US WE STILL ENJOY THE CONTEXT .

I LOVE THE REFERANCE TO BEING THE RIGHT OWNER, I DO ALL OF THOSE THINGS.!!!!

SOMETHING ELSE I'VE NOTED, MOST OF THE MEMBERS POSTING NEGATIVES ABOUT THE SITE SEEM TO HAVE MINIMAL POSTINGS,THEY ARE MERELY CONTENT TO BROWSE OTHERS MEMBERS EXPRIENCES.

SURELY IF ALL THE NEGATIVE EFFORT WERE CHANNELED TO POST A FEW POSSITIVE POSTS, THEN THERE WOULD BE MORE FOR US ALL TO READ

JUST MY 2CENTS WORTH

RGDS SP

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Well shagg me sideways!

I think the question has just been answered.

looks like the is more interest than even the regulars thought.

Someone out there must know how to get to Phillipe and ask if we can collectively buy him out or at least employ a manager (or is that a webmaster?)

I dont think this site will ever die completely for there are too many regulars that just keep coming back. It would be great if the level of response to this post could be spread across a few others.

Please someone try to get to Philipe?

Cheers
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• You guys are right: the car just ownes. It still is fascinating, no matter hoe old it is. I bet that it will become a classic just like the Mercedes-Bens Sl 'Gullwing' :roll:

BMW 8: one of the best cars on this planet! :wink:

• I agree with both the pro and con posts above...

Certainly, I count myself among the enthusiastic loyalists of this particular car.
    I also walk backwards, and plan my parking spaces, and walk to the garage in the middle of the night at times, just to "pinch" myself, and make sure it's all real.
    And as for this site, I am in awe of the form and substance it presents, as well as the vision it embodies.
    It is informative, artful, wide-ranging and That is why I started this thread.
    However, as a dedicated fan of both the car and the site, I felt it my duty to try and re-kindle the same enthusiasm I witnessed when I joined last July. I know I am neither the first to attempt to do so, nor the most eloquent, nor the most persuasive. Several of the veterans have attempted a variety of approaches in the past without much success. That is why I am trying to enlist the veterans, and as many of the newcomers as possible. I don't like giving up what I believe in without a fight, but I also know that numbers are persuasive.

Can someone help post a poll? Something alomng the lines of: "All in favor of Phillipe turning the site over to a pro to manage?"

And yes, I'll pay a little extra in addition to my "Gold" membership.

Regards, fellow keepers of the E31 flame,
    M.R.

• M rad, Rick_E31, theo, SteveP840, and everyone else reading this, it looks like it's up to all of us as new members to carry the torch.
    This is the 3rd weekend of February. I would love to participate in a site reunion. Is everyone up to it? Shall we start a new string? Coming to you as the Grand Reunion!!!

• Zitat von twave5

This car is about passion. If you're not passionate about this car you're not the right owner. If you can walk away from your car in a parking lot without walking backwards admiring it, you're not the right owner. If you can park your car out of eyesighte at work, you're not the right owner.

All hail the 8 series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/i]

if i were a woman i`d marry you! but i`m not, and therefore not contemplated to do so...but i do STRONGLY agree with that fine sentiment, so much in fact i have to smoke a couple of cigs to calm down :D

charlie...you said the sausages be ready in 5 min, 10 min. ago!

• Well, ive lost all passion for this site recently, it doesnt matter what effort i put in, theres no chance of seeing anything for it as we dont have access to the site, well i dont anyway, in an editorial capacity. It is for this reason that the site will stay exactly as it is and never change, never roll with the times, never grow and expand in the way that we all know it has the potential to do so.

• Hey al,

chin up od son.

You have every right to be pissed off but to give up? You are bigger than that arent you? The frog has already proven that he's prepared to do what was neccessary to keep the site alive so if this is as bada as it gets then who gives a toss?

Just hang in there and enjoy the company of the stayers. People move on and thats their choice. Some of us have chosen not to and I guess we must respect those who have and will in future.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say that we would like you to stick around but if you choose to move on we respect that and wish you well. We would even say the door is always open if you wish to drop by in future.

We cannot control the past, we cannot control the future but can make the most of what we have and keep hope that the future might improve, can't we?

See you on the weekend guys. I enjoy your company and wish I was closer so we could meet and hang out for a while but this will do till then.
    Theo
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• I dont want to sit around and let this site grind to a halt. Hell, its too late, it has come to a stop already.

I like to do all i can in life, i dont like to sit there and do all i need to in order to scrape by, and this is what Philippe is doing and i hate to stand by and watch!

Why not give us some control? Let us take it higher?
    Why make us sit around and watch?

• Hey Big Al,

Let me correct you there if I may and without taking offence please.

This site has not come to a halt.

You are there I am here, we have that Shiggsy smart arse (loves my humour and I love to give him a rattle), Parksie, Terry and a whole bunch of newbies let alone the regs I havent mentioned.

Have alook at the views on each posting and tell me its dead?

This time of year has a lot to do with activity too. Plenty of stuff going on. Iknow the thre Aussies who post are awa, as I was for weeks.

There are also guys who have moved on, sold their rides, sad for them and for us but no point in hanging round the bar if you dont drink anymore huh.

Then there are the Hong Kong bunch. Richard, Herb Fuchikoma and more they still visit but perhaps not every day. Maybe they are like all of us, have other stuff to do as well.

No mate, its not over till the site is off the air and like I said the frog finds out when he needs to. He's doing a prick act and he would need to talk underwater, with a mouth full of marbles, in three languages all at once to explain his actions but the way he is, just is!

The other dedicated 8 sites dont work for me but if you check them out, Roadfly Bimmerforums etc you might see what I mean. Al pal, enjoy what is here and be sure this site will live on.

By the way, di you hear what Parksie told me about that Shiggsy?...........oh wow cant tell but phew

Keep well big Al

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• are you online Shiggs?

I will wait arond for a few minuts. Perhaps to the chat room for sa quick pint?
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Like I tried to say before... maybe this site isn't what it used to be. But it's all us, "new members", have!
    And guess what?

WE LIKE IT!!!!!!!

Maybe it is time to hand over the toarch!

Phillipe!!! help!!!!!!

OMG!!!!

COULD IT BE TRUE???

HAS PHILLIPE SOLD HIS CAR?????

• Shiggsy,

I havent used that chat room either but its like being live online via the keybord. I think any number can be watching a converstaion and all contribute.

Missed you this time and feel it maybe best to keep our conversation going to the board so that everyone can be party to the banter.

Cheers mate
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Well said Theo....

The Hong Kong lads are still here.
    I suggest we keep posting and send in scans too.
    I am an avid member of a great watch forum
    http://www.paneristi.com
    This forum has the best fellowship I have come across but its driven by a handfull of passionate owners. They are very active and come up with allot of fun scans of their watches etc
    We are those passionate E31 owners and I believe some of the finest forums are driven by a small handfull of guys...I check the forum daily even though my car has been off the road for 4 weeks awaiting a brake booster pump...I am also looking to change my shocks and its like a maze thrying to get all the right info, I have had allot of leads and help from this forum...far more helpful than the roadfly forum which tyend to be a bit snooty eben though I joined * Fest and paid my 25 bucks...
    Keep the posts coming...
    I share Herb's password but Im not complaining
    RICHARD IN HONG-KONG
    I email Siva and Theo Terry too..
    Hang in there guys...
    Lets see some scans of your cars ...'
    Cheers

• A message to readers

Anyone who logs in for a lok could really get the vibe alive again by post a message even if its only bulltish.

Feel free to throw some at me coz Shiggsy and I do, all in good fun

You know, sometimes people look here and read our (my) crap, have a giggle and just leave without saying G'day because they just dont have aquestion or problem to ask about

Fine by most, but guys say something just to let those who are a little less enthusiastic know that ther is still plenty of traffic volume.

What about some 8 jokes. Somoene must invent them.

Or how about

'what were the first words spoken in the garden of Eden?
    Adam to Eve....stand back God, only knows how big this thing could get"

Lets have some laughs but leave the obsecenities for some other site. Perhaps we shoul make a requst of evry reader that if you dial in , you must, at least weekly, post something noteworthy........not brainsurgery huh guys?

Cheers
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!