Reunion...> Is this site worth saving?

• Hello All!
    I suggested this at the bottom of my earlier post, but given the dearth of traffic here lately, thought this might be more effective.

I'm sure many of us regret the current state of this site, which I for one considerd the flagship of 8-series boards. As we all know, a board's life is it's contributing membership. I have followed the less -than successful past efforts of dedicated members to steer this board away from the edge, and noted the steady decline in participation, with sadness.

But, conditions change with the simple passage of time. Perhaps one more try is in order?
    In an effort to revive this site, with all it's beautiful imagery and rare and useful content, I suggest a scheduled "reunion" of interested board members on an agreed-upon date, preferably a weekend day. This will allow us to re-aquaint on this forum, and guage the existing interest, as well as bat some ideas about.

Regards to all,
    M.R/

• Well that's three already...

but given how slow this board has become, we may need to give it this weekend and next , just to get the word out. Should we try for a forum members meeting on the 3rd weekend of February? Perhaps even a "grand mele`" in the chat room.

Also, how about some ideas beforehand on topics of discussion, relating to overhauling this board. I have thought about this for some time and have a suggestion to submit, although I don't know how workable it may be.

It is this: since Phillipe does not have the time and resources to operate this board properly, and given that I believe the board worth saving due to it's unique content, should we perhaps suggest to Phillipe that a professional web-master be hired to run/maintain the site? With enough subscribers, I'm sure the costs to any individual would be minor. I am already a "Gold Member" (snicker, snicker), so an extra couple of bucks to bring the site back up to standards would be negligible.
    The exact legal instrument to accomplish this can be patterned after other, existing, sites, I'm sure.

I have never directly spoken to Phillipe, but have corresponded with him on a couple of occasions. he strikes me as a well meaning sort, and reasonable fellow. I'm sure he will read this or has already, and that we can expect his input shortly. If we can secure his agreement, and enought site members(at last count we had over 800, at least on the rolls), this site could become a gold-mine of technical material, historical archives, and the thriving community it once was.

Regards,
    M.R.

• Been there, done that

...many of us have made a pesonal appeal for takeover of this site.

Philippe has not even acknowledged or responded to our requests. In fact, I'm not very happy for Philippe not responding to any of my emails since last August. Unacceptable.

Since 29 Jan 2005, Philippe has been online making some additional repairs that I no longer had time to work on (e.g. the home page menu and the galleries...even though the pix are still needing repair).

We've given Philippe the benefit of the doubt in the past...but increasingly his lack of communication is becoming very troublesome.

In addition, Ralf Pusch of ClubE31.de has shared that BMW Mobile Tradition will soon annoint his website some sort of special status for the 8er community and that he plans to upgrade his site to welcome more participants from English-speaking countries.

I support M Rad's efforts; I'm not sure Philippe will listen or care.

• Troubling indeed..

to be ignored when expressing concern, and offering to assist. I hadn't posted on this board for quite some time, but returned to "lurk" occasionally. It seemd that things may be on a slow course to recovery, so I thought perhaps this would be a good time for concerned members to lend some encouragement.
    Jud, if someone of your stature in the 8 community is unable to elicit a response, then I have little hope for the present effort. On the other hand, a solid show of encouragement en mas, might tip the balance. It's worth a shot, at least.

Regards,
    M.R.

• I have been back and forwards to this site over the last year, and I feel very grateful in many ways. I have picked up useful information and made conatct with some very helpful people.

I found my new Alpina wheels by chance here, and learned hwo to fix my door switches.

For this I have paid nothing, so I feel obliged in some way to contribute. After all what is a club without members, and how many clubs are you members of where no fee is paid?

This is a virtual club, and many people make great use of it. I hope it remains and is used by more of us to share and learn from.

• we all can be considered guilty of not creating enough posts , my suggestion is that if every one who has joined in this debate,were to post once or twice aweek,i recon that would create enough interest to encourage other members to contribute.So i guess all you guys with very little site time to their name, get posting now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any thing of interest to the 8 series community usually spakes off a positive discusion. For instance---

have any other owners found that after adoptin a comfortable driving possition , the head rest is then situated some 3-4 inches away from your head? i am having some headrest pads made to bring the headrest forward, i will post pics when delivered

rgds steve

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Headrest

Hi Stevep840! Is the headrest too far away even after you rotate it forward? I only ask because I don't know if you are aware of that feature.

I'm glad to see the diehards pulling for this site! Although, I am a little dissapopinted over the number of people who have responded, vs. how many thread and topic views we have had. This was the second weekend of the two I proposed to guage interest, and turnout was low.

Maybe the sleepers will awaken and join us for a mass demonstration of support (for the site, if not the site owner) next weekend. Meanwhile, contact a couple of fellow 8-owners and twist some arms! I've got two potential victims in mind.

Hey! Point92mach, and 91green850! You guys out there? What say,give us a hand !

Regards to all,
    M.R.

• Hi m rad, The headrests have never been suitable for my driving possition,.Its the usual problem of any one around 6ft and over having to push the seat back and then recline the back rest to keep your head off of the roof lining,i find myself after getting comfortable , looking up towards the roof rather than straight ahead.
    I have a guy in london ready to make the extended pads,andwill post pics when available.

take it easy steve

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• The problem is some of us HAVE paid :(

• :twisted:

I would love to this site saved and run properly by someone else who knows what the hell they are doing!

I visit the site a few times a week normally, but don't often post cos I can't sign in let alone anything else.

Perhaps the lack of posting by others is for the same reason?

Have met some decent guys through this site and also received good information, but I feel its not gonna happen anymore on here. A shame, but true. :(

Roadfly is probably the best option now.

A question for Schnitz850....... hows your new forum doing? Any links?

Regards
    Jof

• I would hate to see this site go; have learnt and also contributed (I feel) a fair bit over several months now. Perhaps I'm just another old Fart who doesn't like change. Nevertheless, this site should be saved if at all possible.

John Par :wink: ker.

Cheers,

John.

E. Yorkshire, UK

K8PPL 1993 850Ci

• How about everyone just picks a Forum and posts someting. Then the rest of us can "pile on!" and discussion should naturally follow.

I started with the 'Tire" question in the main forum. Who is next?

This thread is turning into a Whine before its time.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Hi all

Well there are a few developments in the pipeline but I can't say anything about most of them so I'm sorry but not much help there.

What I can say is I will need to contact all UK members as regards to the 8 series register. (I will do a separate post on this soon)

I would like to try and see if any one could contact Philippe. Nobody seems to be able to reach him!!!!

We need to know where this good site is going.
    Would he sell it? I don't know...
    Would he hand over day to day maintenance? Maybe...

It would be good if anyone could make contact!!!

In response to Jof's Q... What forum would that be ???? :)

I am ironing out the wrinkles of a few things and hopefully spread some good news soon to get us all in tune for the year ahead....

Thats all for now folks!!

• I wonder whether it's just a natural progression? After all, 850 owners are a small (and dwindling) group. Eventually any forum members are going to have asked (or had answered) all their questions, and then the forum will naturally die, unless new blood (ie new owners) come along. And even if they ask a question they'll just get directed to the FAQ. :)

Unless new things are happening with the 8, there's a limited amount of things we can talk about until they are all exhausted. Even roadfly is becoming less and less interesting to me recently, as it degenerates into flame wars and off-topic discussions.

Don't get me wrong, I love this site (that's why I paid to join) and also roadfly, but given the nature of the 8, such forums are always going to be limited, fairly static places...

Add to that the problems with Philippe and you get the current dire situation :(

• iPOD a report

i own an iPOD and was thinking that if we put fourth the effort of making a weekly or monthly report or inforadio report that it could be opening a few more doors for those who enjoy listening to such things on commute. i for one listen to many gaming radio casts recorded onto my cd for this sole pupose, this can be applied here where we can get access to histories, stories, tuning and future events concerning our cars. this is just a sugesstion. i was recently on the "roadfly.org" site and noticed that they sell stickers for thier site, thats great and all, but given the angst among how the site is run all i suggest is that we try another avenue of approach. even announcements on when we should hold meets in the chat room and such being put on the podcast.

opinions and comments pls!

charlie...you said the sausages be ready in 5 min, 10 min. ago!

• I share the sentiments of others on this board....I do think it could be a useful resource if organize properly.

I also check in a couple of times a week to see if anything new has been posted.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!