Top 5 'Must Have' mods/upgrades

• Wow!

What an interesting bunch of responses. One thing is for certain here, we all are individual in our thinking and as we live in democratic societites we are free to do what our finances allow.

One Mod that no one mentions is the alternative ratios available for the diff.

Most 840's have a 2.93 ratio which is great if you live in a country where you are able to use a freeway without cops or camreas and like MACH1 speeds.
    Alternatively if you wnat to go form 0 to 100 in less than 6 minutes then a higher numerical ratio is a consideration as is an LSD centre.

I changed mine to 3.64 which is the standard ratio on the v12's with 4 speed auto. I notice a small decrease in fuel economy but the car now feels like a fast car. Havent done a quarter mile elapsed time and dont intend to as Im not a racer (well, not most of the time anyhow). I can tell you its a very worth while swap and every v12 owner that has driven my 840 is most impressed and the usual question is what ratio can we use to do the same in the V12.

This is a (partial) list of available ratios for the V12/V8 diff that was common to E31/2&4 cars
    2.88, 2.93, 3.15, 3.23, 3.46, 3.64, 3.71, 3.9, 4.17.

LSD centers you may ask? Well the dumb assed way in wjich BMW controls wheel spin is the ASC which retards engine power which means if you are a performance driver you cant go around a corner without the ASc cutting in and reducing power just when you might wnat it. The answer is to have LSD and overide the ASC when you dont wnat it to kick in.

LSD centres are not common and can be installed to any ratio (by a competant diif shop.

Any one interested, I know where there are 3.23, 3.15 and 4.17 LSD's laying around. I would be happy to broker a deal and send internationally by post.

Maturing Disgracefully

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• By the way. Strong Strut is doing another run of strut braces and lifting adapters.

http://www.strongstrut.com

In the E31 section the Red 850 is Wuffers and the Silver 840 is mine.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Tony me old kipper as I have said before in another discussion.
    Most people are very decieved when they buy an 8 series. And the reason is quite simple. They now sell very very very cheap . And because of this people buy them cheap thinking that they can run them cheap. Fact of the matter is some people unfortunately opt for cheaper modifications and what a shame that when at the traffic lights you get a Mitsubishi EVo 6 that kicks ass 0-60 and climbs to 100 quicker than the eight series then you start to wonder "should I have opted for the prestige package for my car" And the plonker whos driving the Evo 6 will tell all his friends that he slaughtered an 8. And all because the respectfull owner was decieved. My point is if you cant afford to put the right mods on it then your car will only preform like a fiesta XR2 with all the boy racer modifications. So do the car a favour if not your self and treat it to decent mods. Because when she goes wrong believe me it still is a £60000.00 pound car to maintain.
    Alternatively sell the car if you cant afford to keep it.
    But I see where youre coming from why spend more money on the car when it will exceed the price you paid for it in the first place. Maybe youre forgetting it still is a rich mans car?? is it not?? : )

• Message to Richard (Paneritsi),

mate I think you may have mis understood. Like you in Honkers, Melbourne has more ferkin cops and hidden speed cameras than you can imagine so speed is not even a consideration if you want to keep ypur right to drive.

The diff ratio change is therefore a reversal of the balance that comes with the car. i.e. In stock trim they are geared for high top speed and as we alll know are very slow to get moving.........we get blown off by 4 bangers every day.

The answer is not horsepower. These mothers have plenty. You just need to use the first gear feature in Sports Drive mode (in Econ mode they start in second) and if you had a higher numerical diff like 3.64 or 3.71 it would be like adding another first gear, much like a six speed.

For those who want to get up to the speed limit (or pasr it0 a lot quicker then a ratio change is a cheap way to get these tanks mobile.

Hope it helps someone.

And how is the bub, by the way?

Maturing Disgracefully

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• On the subject of Modifications to an 8

I bought mine knowing that there was room for LARGE improvement in the 840 based on how I drive and where I drive versus what the car was designed for.

I also knew exactly what I was getting and had a very good idea of where to start. Coming from an E32 740 that was just a bit to stodgy for me :( I should give in to growing old gracefully but that wouldn't be me either :D

Chipped it the second day I had it. (The Dinan chip is still in the toolbox where I put it that day)

It already had the 18" OZ wheels so I just put Goodyear F1 tires on them so I could play in wet and dry.

H&R springs and camber plates went on to go with the the Bilstien struts and shocks that I had to put on-(Only real maintenance item so far)

All that Body roll was beaten into submission with a set of Gigantic anti sway bars. Now it fits the description of "Handles like it is on Rails" really well :D:D

The gear ratio change to 3.64 gives me the missing lower speed response at City and Highway speeds versus the designed for Autobahn speeds that I can't use.

Now it is the town and country play machine that I wanted it to be :D

I don't race it but I enjoy accellerating quickly.
    I enjoy cruising on the Freeway when I am going long distances on one of the rare trips out of town.
    I enjoy being able to control my flow thru traffic because of the control and response it has now.
    If I am passing thru twisty bits it goes where I send it and behaves like it is enjoying the run as much as I am.

If I feel the need to drive a loud rocket ship I can always fire up the '98 SVT Cobra and go dazzle folks with tire smoke and real Badass performance.

But I always seem to drive off every morning in the 840 though :shock: Smiling all the way.

It is yours!! Make it what you want it to be --Just for you :D :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Theo

Hi Theo/
    Thanks for the Message matey..I understand better now thanks.
    What would it cost to ship one to me in HK from Oz?
    Mine is still in the workshop intil 3rd week of Feb...cant wait to get her out.
    The BUB is doing well now 5 mths, just back from Dubai where we visited my mum ...seen below in my brithers 360 Spyder..he's a banker !...that's corruption for you :lol:

• Very well put Terry :)

You have summed up perfectly, saved me attempting another long reply :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Thanks to all who put their two penneth/cents in to my original question. I've enjoyed reading them all.

From the responses so far I conclude that the Must Have mods for my 8 are going to be :

1: Chip and Pin it. When I find a chip for the M62 engine - and I'll have a go at doing it myself.

2: Get a better Diff ratio. I like the sound of an extra 1st gear

3: 19" Wheels, most prob Rondell 58s

4: Lower the ride height, although that's going to have to wait until I get a shallower gradient ramp built at my house. Already spent a whole morning breaking up a kerb Slab so that I can (gently) roll my standard 8 into my own driveway nose first ! God, this car already has a long low nose.....

5: Super/turbo chargers are way out of my price league sadly. I have a wife and family to support too you know !!

6: However, I want a Moon Roof / Panoramic Glass roof. Found a thread on Roadfly that covered this, but so far I haven't actually seen any 8 with this fitted. I know it's a pipe dream, but I still want it...... :)

Cheers

Tony

• I just chipped my 840ci last weekend with the chips referenced here. Noticable "seat of the pants" difference! 8-series always seems to be heavy from the start and continually wakes up the faster you go. This chip feels like my car just had a double expresso and is ready to take on the day. Side benefits....better gas mileage, exhaust sounds like it has a little subwoofer hooked up, more hp, and more power. I feel this is an incredible car, but there are upgrades that can be done to tailor it to the driver. I am really enjoying the new feel on my 840ci.

• Tony ...BTW my chip

Tony by the way my car is a 4.0 ltr not 4.4...similar double espresso pick up as the above post ...I already sent you the email address for the chip we are using in Hong Kong ..cheers

• hi again, I contacted Wolf in germany about his chips last week and he said he only does them for the 4.0L and 5.0L engines which leaves me out in the cold a little.

I have found a company in Nottingham UK that will fully reprogram my ECU but that requires me to travel, and pay 3x as much as Wolf's chips. Plus I can't do it myself naturally.

As far as I can tell (thru extensive surfing) there are no replacement chips for the M62 engine for sale, just reprogramming of the existing chip already present in my 4.4L block. However if anyone knows any different........ :D

I bet 8's are a rare sight in HK. I already seen a dozen or so in my area since I bought mine.... grrrr :D

Cheers

Tony

• Hi all,

I am just back from holiday at a place with very expensive broadband access (must talk to you about that Lucky Red!) so am now catching up on the third :shock: page of this thread!! Guess this shows the individuality of the passion we all share.

Anyway, to add my humble opinion to the vote on best mods for an 8; I would suggest, but not in any particular order:

1 M style mirrors 8)
    2 Wolf's chip (when it can be used) :D
    3 H & R spring set :lol:
    4 Fixing up aging interior trims :?
    5 Big wheels & low profile tyres :D

As has been said earlier, it is a very personal thing. Keep us all posted on what you decide to do.

Cheers

Keith

• Keith thanks allot>>>>>>>>>>

Yep I got clobbered too...its a rip off they charge every 15 mins huh?

Your'e blue 8 has come a long way since the can above 3 mth ago HUH >?
    Catch you soon LAD ! :roll:

• Rip off??

I tell you mate, it is a stunning resort, the family loved it and want to go back again but.....

I paid XXX for a beer at the pool.

Next day I was out with an old mate who lives on that island and I paid less for a case of 24 than I did for a single by the pool.

That's a bigger profit margin than BMW Hong Kong make. (maybe!!)

Cheers

Keith

P.S. mine was never a can or was that just a typo?

• mods

on the whole im of the 'keep it factory' view, however im getting more curious about the chipping of the engine - i have the m62 engine so need more investigation as per this thread.

I want to re cover my seats to dark brown leather and respary the car to black or gray (its barbados green at the moment).

my "keep it factory" view has come about as a rection to all the modded novas and boy racers in the uk - horrible little cars.....*shudder*

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!