Manual transmission conversion for 840ci

• Don't get me wrong, i do apprieciate what your saying, i've just finished restoring a 1990 C2 Alpina, 205bhp on the dyno, suspension as hard as nails, clutch as heavy as F**k, but this baby flies, feels quicker than my 8, definatly quicker around the twisty stuff, but you have to be on the look out for the back end braking loose, thats the fun of this car but every day or a long journey i'll take the 8 :D:D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I have heard the automatic vs manual shift all of my life starting in the 50s when the mainstream automatics became common.

It will never be settled until the last collector car with one or the other is gone and the last person who remembers that it existed is gone too. Most likely the stick shift in this day of automation :(

I have one car with each and they both have their merits and demerits. I would rather drive the 840 with its automatic just because it is the 840.
    The Mustang Cobra is for those moments when I feel the need to run out of first gear while the 8 is still asking if I really want to go fast :o

I fear that if I dither any more between a supercharger and a 6 speed for the 840 neither will happen before I retire.

The problem is that I live in a continious suburbia and seldom get above 50 miles per hour without having to look over my shoulder for the local Police officer :(
    The local superhighways leave you stuck at 75 at most before you are killed by slow lane changers that seem to be waiting for you. No GATSOs yet though :D

Yes I may find a wrecked E34 540/6 someday and be too tempted to resist the 6 speed conversion. Yes I may be tempted beyond resistance for that extra 100 horses added to the team pulling my chariot. But for now I must venture forth to work in order to pay for them :lol:

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Zitat von stevep840

John take a look at http://www.esstuning.com thats where mine came from, whilst they don't list for the 8 a 540 kit will do, cost around EUR5000

I know what you mean, left foot syndrome, for me living in a area of steep hills combined with traffic lights,i know why i love the slush box :D

Steve,

Is this the kit? E34 540i 93-95. http://www.esstuning.com/defau…ubcat=180&subcat2=183&id= Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks,

John

• Yes I may find a wrecked E34 540/6 someday and be too tempted to resist the 6 speed conversion. Yes I may be tempted beyond resistance for that extra 100 horses added to the team pulling my chariot. But for now I must venture forth to work in order to pay for them :lol:[/quote]

Terry,

Would you get all the components off of an E34 and just swap it? What about the ECU or electrical stuff?

Just curious,

John P.

• Zitat von Aaliyah724

Would you get all the components off of an E34 and just swap it? What about the ECU or electrical stuff?

Just curious,

John P.

It should be close to a direct swap but I would have to spend a few hours with the schematics for all three setups to be sure. May have to fake out a couple of circuits.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von TerryY

I have heard folks dreaming of M5 to 840 engine conversion but I'm not sure that it would fit under the low hood of the 8. The 760 V12 has too many valve control lumps on the front of the heads to fit.

Custom hood?

• Why not get the CSi? It has a 6-speed manual and a more powerful engine. By the time you've messed around with all the conversions on an 840, you might as well have bought the CSi.

Yes, I know good Euro, left-hookers are sill quite pricey, but still cheaper than int he USA, should you decide to sell it later. In the UK, though, they're relatively cheap (RHD).

• i drove the 850CSI AND it felt nice and positive.

I used to hate auto cars but must say I love the steptronic auto box on my 840Ci sport

Very responsive and although theres room for improvement
    It beats most other autos.

Ive just removed the cats.... and the engine and gearbox feel much more responsive. Next im having the ECU remapped. KN Air filter and hopefully the company who removed my cats is going to build me a stainless steel exhaust system inc sports cats

• As has been expressed elsewhere in this topic, I strongly believe there can be no real resolution to the argument as to whether auto or manual is best.
    It's like arguing Blue is a "better" colour than Red.
    It depends entirely on your personal perspective.
    True, you could do back to back track tests, but unless that is your only criteria, it'd be about as useful as discovering that Blue has a shorter wavelength than Red.
    There is an answer of course - for those who like manual - manual is best.
    For those who like auto - well, you get the picture.

• Zitat von ukzero

As has been expressed elsewhere in this topic, I strongly believe there can be no real resolution to the argument as to whether auto or manual is best.

Best is conditional upon what the driver prefers. If one does wangan - AT will suffice admirably. If one is into road course/touge - only a manual will do. I prefer a manual myself but there is not inherent inferiority in the AT.

• Zitat von Paul_M

I've thought of buying a Lotus Exige but you'd probably shudder at such raw unrefinement! It's all about the driving experience ;)

LOL - I sold my Mk1 Exige to buy Rommel in 2001 - my wife couldn't handle living with the Lotus as our only car at the time!

Now Rommel's my least practical car, but some way off being my fastest...

BTW, the autobox in my B5 works very well, with the Alpina Switchtronic override system built into the steering wheel.

"Rommel" - 1999 BMW 840Ci(A) Sport Individual - Alpina wheels, Alcon brakes, ACS/Dinan suspension
    "The Beast" - 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007 - Malachite Green

• P.S. as for blue vs. red - purple is the clear winner!!! :)

"Rommel" - 1999 BMW 840Ci(A) Sport Individual - Alpina wheels, Alcon brakes, ACS/Dinan suspension
    "The Beast" - 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007 - Malachite Green

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!