Who wanted an Alpina??

• Well spotted dude

I've now got it on my watch list, allways doubtfull of such a rush of early bidding though :shock:

I think i'd sooner have the silver CSI though :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• LOL... can you sense my heart sink as yet another almost-great car is destroyed by the marketing men aiming it at near retirement rich granddaddies who are no longer capable of using more than two limbs simultaneously? :lol:8)

• ...well, this might not be a true Alpina B12 5.0.

Let me explain. Alpina constructed all of their LHD and RHD Alpina's from their factory in Germany, stamped their unique Alpina VIN on the shock tower, and then numbered them appropriately.

In an email exchange with the seller, there is no stamping on the shock towers, the BMW chassis number doesn't correspond with an Alpina order on the build sheet, and the misplaced Alpina stamp on the console shows this Alpina B12 5.0 number 9430, which is suspect since Alpina B12 5.0's were all numbered between 1 and 97.

So where does this leave us? Sytners may have performed a special conversion for this vehicle and if they did, then Alpina would have given it a number from the 97 it allocated. Or Sytners may have done an "off conversion" of this vehicle and assigned their own number to it.

Anyway, I will be making inquiries at Sytners to get to the bottom of this mystery.

If you are serious about this car and want to help verify its authenticity, then let me know. CarlT and I have been discussing this car today and its his expert opinion as well that this car may be a fake or a "one-off" conversion, but not a "real" Alpina B12 5.0.

Cheers,

• Agreed with Jud.
    unlikely original.

has CSI front end and not alpina,
    no alpinal markings around the car,
    no alpina steering
    and non alpina seats,

Although, he does have a few alpina parts around the car

• Yea its defo not a real one, when you put the reg no. into the HPI check homepage it shows up as a 850i auto. A real Alpina is always registered as an Alpina.
    Id say its a conversion and the owner has stuck on the badges and plate. The second link below shows what a real one should look like....nice!

https://www.hpicheck.com/consumer/?supplier=&vrm=K993JAU

http://www.maxted-page.com/cars_for_sale/1992_bmw_alpina.htm

1997 Black 840CI 4.4
    1994 Blue 840CI 4.0

• Good detective work mate,but even a real 5.0 Alpina would not look like that example, the 5.0 & 5.7 litre are far removed :!:

Someone will buy though & then cruise the streets in style :D

• Perhaps I could get together with the new owner and compare handling mods on our Zimmer frames having wafted to the nearest tea-room (can't be too far as I'll need a toilet break) in my slushomatic 840? :wink:

Yep, I'm old enough to be a granddad, have greying hair, but sadly I won't be allowed to retire for some time and I'm definitely not rich - I'm sure I'd have noticed I was....

All I can say is "Thank God for cruise control", cos I can now give both feet a rest and I'm glad the steering wheel magically moves out of the way when I switch off the ignition or I'd never get out of the car on my own!

Does anyone know where I can get some nice lace edged cushions to snazz up the parcel shelf a bit?
    They'd have to have a racey M logo of course to look right. :)

• :lol::lol: Nice one zero, but you have to understand Paul is still a pup in comparision to us oldies but goldies :D

Something along the lines of Tee shirt/ done it :!::!::D

• Re: Auto maniacs

Zitat von sandwich

Still cant understand why you might want to use three limbs instead of two.
    Manual gearboxes...pah!

LOL... for the same reason I want to turn the steering wheel and operate the pedals myself, with a car like this I want to drive it, not have some crappy electronics make all the decisions for me :D

Mercedes S class and the like should have automatic gearboxes (and automatic steering soon enough too I expect!) cos they're dull as ditch water anyway. But an 840 should be driven, fully interactive, by the guy (or girl) in the driver's seat.

Oh and the sound of the wonderful V8 can be controlled so well with a manual box, the sound of it blipping on downshifts, flooring it from 2,000 RPM to get the full roar when going through tunnels etc, totally awesome.

Surely won't be long until you get a telegram from her majesty :lol:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!