E31 Exhaust system

• hi, i'm just wonder what are your experiences with modyfinig e31 exhaust system. In my opinion my 850 is too quiet :twisted: . As V12 engine the
    sound should be more louder and low. I don't want to get this sound too loud. What would it be when i remove middle silencer?

• Big request

yeah this is good idea, jdgavrity could you pliz host some?

peter1980 there is only one middle/central silencer, which is in Y shape and can be easly removed.

• Exhaust system

Hi there Adam

I have been going thru the same avenues to find a cheaper solution to replacing the exhaust system other than the "Big Guys"

I have since found a couple of stainless steel guys here in London that will make up a complete system (minus the cats) for you and will get it to sould exactly the way you want it
    The one I heard sounded very muvh like the TVR --sounded really good
    Total cost 700 to 900 pounds which I think is very good

Jeff

• You most definately would need to put the cats back come MOT time ,but this need not be a big problem, simply get your exhaust guru to make joint near to the cat possition so you can interchange pipes/cat come mot time or do like me fit stainless racing cats :)

Bhp gains are very small but coupled to other usefull mods can make a usefull difference.

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• don't want to disconnect cats (problems during MOT) till special mounting will be done to allow me replace/change them easier. Sport cats are not reasonable items considering to its price. How much more hp? That much to go over 300 :lol:

Jeff thanks for proposition from london, price not bad but i'm a high spec coded welder and ussualy i'm doing this stuff by myself. The question is what angles, shape, what ex.manifolds should look like to get proper working loud pipes?

• Many years ago I made up an exhaust system for a Lotus Elite which I transplanted a Rover V8 into.
    Getting loud pipes wasn't a problem.
    Getting quiet pipes was - but no surprise there.
    However, the killer was getting rid of boomy resonances which can quite literally drive you to distraction!

• exhaust modifications

just fitted supersprint stainless back boxes to my 840ci ,these come with 90mm slash cut and angled exit pipes. quality and fit is excellent,sound is very deep on idle and sounds much better under load but is hardly any different when crusing. cost aprox £830,hope this is some help

• Hi everybody! I removed silencer and both catalysators. Sound is perfect now! Not too loud, not too silence. Sound came from the nature of V12. In lower rpm I can counting twetve melody and in higher rpm its getting really louder. Perfect combination. I did also measurement of hp´s after removing, and surprisly it add 18 more! ....Unluckily...the consumption is now around 3-4 litres higer.
    TONY MONTANA

• removed silencer too

I wanted better sound in my 97 850 and removed my middle silencer. The change was very little. Its a little deeper/ throatier but not much that anyone besides me would notice. I wonder why some other guys that did this found a big difference and got a much bigger sound?

• Re: exhaust modifications

Zitat von jules

just fitted supersprint stainless back boxes to my 840ci ,these come with 90mm slash cut and angled exit pipes. quality and fit is excellent,sound is very deep on idle and sounds much better under load but is hardly any different when crusing. cost aprox £830,hope this is some help

would love to hear the sound clip, i also have 840ci and seriously thinking about supersprint.

• Removing the cats will give the V12 a rasp similar to the E46 M3 which some love and some hate. Will only pass a legitimate MOT in UK on Pre 1993 cars. You cannot remove cats easily on OBD11 cars, (later V8's) with 4 lambda sensors as this will throw a check engine fault light.
    You MUST retain the O2 sensors on V12 when removing cats. Can add around 20 bhp when removing them
    The center silencer is actually a crossover resonator so if you remove this you should try and add a crossover pipe here. Will increase sound levels but can cause a booming at certain rpm.
    The cheapest and very effective way to increase exhaust tone is to open up the stock rear silencers around the top edge like a sardine tin, remove the wadding and some of the internal baffling, then re-weld the skin back on.
    This sounds great, costs a drink for the welder and you look stock.
    Wadding removed also weighs a ton and you still have the original BMW quality materials and fit.

8Tech.

• Zitat von Seb

Sounds alright but I'd want something a lot louder :twisted:

So you want to set off alarms? :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!