Car covers, discuss.

• Just after your veiws on waterproof car covers.
    My 8 isnt being used in the winter but its not being stored in my garage as thats full of motorbikes and Karts so I was thinking of getting a waterproof cover to go over it while its not being used.

Anyone for or against this idea?

• Car covers, discuss.

Be careful with waterproof car covers.
    They sweat, and create a damp zone underneath.
    Best to keep a good quality polish up to the paint and have a high quality UV protected dust cover, which breaths.
    The sun is the most damaging thing for a car that is left out in the open.
    There are some covers around that are partially reflective, and I feel that they would be even better.
    Ok, the car will get wet but it wont be steam dried.

• I'll second that. Had semi-waterproof (i.e. cheapish) covers over two work cars earlier this year. The covers got damp, then dried back onto the cars in hot sun. This left a permanent mark of the weave of the cover on the paintwork. Several hours with a rotary buffer made it better, but you could still see it in some lights. Nightmare :( .

I've always understand Covercraft covers to be very good. Also, I believe you can get them on mail order from companies in the States for less than they cost in the UK (despite being made here) - sensible eh?

• Zitat von sandwich

I have a firend that has a company called Classic Additions who assures me they are superb!

Sandwich, I'll let you know if they are or not in a few weeks. I just ordered a custom-made light-weight cover for £170, unfortunately the lead time just now is 5 weeks due to demand...

SG

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• I have a Covercraft cover and find it to be very good. It is made to fit the car and as such is quite snug. As long as the car is clean and dry when you put the cover on it seems to keep it spotless. The combination of snug fit and tie string under the middle of the car have kept it in place securely under all conditions experienced this year. The material is called "WeatherShield" and is apparently breathable and scratchless. Not cheap - I think mine was £360, but luckily it was a gift! :wink:

I used to use an inferior cover on my Elise and as the others have commented, when the wind got under it the paintwork suffered.
    :cry:
    Hope this helps.

MB

• Steve, I'll post a pic in a while ..... why I need a fancy cover for my 840... :D

Also, you try fitting an 8 in most modern garages, if you can get it in, you'll be climbing out of the sunroof! :P

• Mark

I see where you're coming from :wink:

When I built my house the Architect drew the plans showing a Double garage 5 metres x 5 metres[ kin Architects]so I changed it to 7x7M so the 7 series & the Beastie can sit side by side.

My Architect did drive an old Citroen 2 cv though so I can understand his error :lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Hey Steve,

When I build my own pad t'will be a garage with some living accomodation tacked on...somewhere! :D

Potential second wives need not know of this :wink:

• Zitat von MB

Hey Steve,

When I build my own pad t'will be a garage with some living accomodation tacked on...somewhere! :D

Potential second wives need not know of this :wink:

I think It's best they did know of your intentions so as not to lose any more cash :? .

But then again, I don't understand any man wanting to get married twice :shock:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!