• Today I finally got round to fitting this kit and all I can say is WOW :D , they look stunning, (only one minor problem but will be an easy fix, see below) just have to sort out the side lights as they look mega yellow now, so what my plan is to get some bulbs for the side lights and if I can get some for the reversing lights, but that will have to wait for the weekend.

Les (and anyone else), hope this helps with your installation of the HID kit.

So firstly I removed the old bulbs and installed the new ones (just remeber DONT touch them with your fingers) I used a clean cloth just to be extra carefull.

Second job was to take the screws and bolts out from the top half of the lights (gives you extra room to move) so you are able to tilt them forward as I wanted to mount the ballasts under the bracket that the lights sit in and I also wanted to bring the wires through the hole that is there under the bottom of the lights.

So now I have the lights on (so they are tilt up at this point I went ahead and fitted the ballasts and sort out the wires to the bulbs,

Now you have the wires in place you can go ahead and fit the harness, (I did not use the plug and play I used the spades), I found this the hardest job (purely beacuse of the small length of wire they give you to connect to the battery terminal and fit to the ballasts etc), so I connected the postive to the + terminal in engine (removed the lower cover of the terminal and fitted it down there), then its just a case of securing the negative, just make sure you have a good, tight connection on both.

So then I finished by double checking every connection was tight and secure and wrapping every connection with insulation tape.

Then I fired them up, left them for 15 minutes to burn in and then fitted the covers, etc back and there you go, ok not as quick as an auto electrican but at least I got my hands dirty and i'm also starting to learn how my baby works.

So about this minor fault, on the OBC it comes up with "Low Beam Failure", so I have spoken to a garage, they have said it will just the case of fitting a risister, not a big job, hopefully will be sorted in a few days.

Hope this helps, if anyone requires any other information, just ask.

Cheers

Wayne

P.S Thanks alex for this bargain :wink:

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Glad you are happy with them Wayne and they do indeed look brilliant!

The resistor is an easy fix, i think the auto electrician did them on mine without telling me as i dont have a problem with the OBC.

These kits are still for sale, so here is your testimonial guys, get them ordered.

Good on you for fitting yourself too, wish i hadnt have been so scared :lol:

Regards

Alex

• Don't really know :shock: last MOT i had 2 replace the blue bulbs just to please the overselous inspector, i simply put normal ones back & have not got around a long term solution.

Other MOT stations maybe more :? leanient

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Will look forward to seeing which value and power rating of resistor will be needed.
    I'm guessing the OBC detects too little current draw on the circuit, needing a parallel connection to earth to increase current draw back to "tolerance" levels.

I'm converting my side lights as well. The only OEM looking solution I've come up with is an LED cluster bulb (loads of LED's on top and arround side) which still uses the reflector. Smaller groups or single LED's tend to look like something you put in to go with your blue illuminated washer jets.
    I'm having to modify the clusters to fit, which involves some careful grinding and soldering and more resistors - all very small and fiddly.
    I'll also need to put a parallel resistor in the circuit to con the car into thinking there is still a conventional tungsten bulb fitted.

• I believe that the lamp check is just looking for continuity not current.

It may not have enough "test power" to force its microcurrent thru the ballast transformer winding.

Do remember though that too low of resistance in the resistor could cause it to become the main current path when the lights come on. That could provide a bright but short duration light of its own :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• They look great, I didnt think they would look that good. I think I will have
    to invest in a set. The side lights do spoil it a little, post some pics when you
    get the new bulbs. Well done.

1997 Black 840CI 4.4
    1994 Blue 840CI 4.0

• I'm not liking the idea of changing the clusters etc to fit (sounds far too complicated for me) :? , is there any other and easier solutions for better side lights :?: I may have to do what Steve did and put some blue bulbs in and then change them back to pass the MOT.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the reversing lights brighter :?:

I should be booking the car in shortly to have the resistor problem sorted, I will post my findings

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Im thinking LEDs may do the trick. No good for brake lights etc but should be ok for the side lights. Got to do something to the side, main & fogs...they look bloody awfull now!
    L

• Terry - you're right about the danger of too low a resistance: anything from a cosy glow to arc welding!
    Continuity is detected by current flow or voltage drop caused by the same.
    The right resistor in parallel should do the trick.
    I might try a pot and gradually reduce R until the OBC is "happy".

The led clusters I'm modifying will fit most of the brake/side light sockets.
    Very busy just now, but will post pics, etc when done.

As for fogs, well I won't worry about those, hardly ever use them (and I wish all those boy racers would stop driving round with badly alligned fog lights on crystal clear nights - sorry - pet hate).

• My solution

Hi

I too have 6K HID true Xenon for my main driving lights.

I have PIAA white fog lights (dipped) and I left 4K Kelvin in for the fogs (performs better apparently - the reason rally cars have yellow lights).

For the side lights I tried PIAA super white sidelights at £22 the pair, but it still does not match the HID colour, and this is for the whitest bulbs available. I'm not willing to use LED's///

I have experimented spraying my own bulbs - I eventually did it too much and they went purple but I'm going to have another go and just use a little less this time.

I would pull the bulbs completely and use a resistor to defeat the MID error, except I worry that sometimes if you are parked facing the wrong way on the road and need a light on.

If someone crashed into my car because of that I would be unhappy.

As a sidenote I paid almost £60 for the PIAA 6K lights (I tried these before I decided on using HID) and the amount of light given out is less than stock (but whiter), and I also had some cheapy £6 H1 bulbs from ebay. Save your money and get the cheapy ones if you go that way there is no difference.

Still for the little money that you can get HID lights for I'd say get them. A real big difference.

I dont get the MID error message - My car is a 91 and that might have something to do with that. Some ballasts do include MID tricking circuit.

Lets burn rubber!

91 BMW 850 (Heavily Modified)
    86 Ford F150 monster truck (44 inch tyres)

• My friend has a Focus and he has just fitted the kit also, as the side lights and dipped beam (HID) are in the same housing you could see the yellow coloured side light which looked a little silly.

So he sent for an LED side light and they are as white as the HID's and do emit a nice light. I'm unsure as to why you would be unwilling to use LED's?

Alex

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!