BMW's Biggest Bargain.........

• I still can't believe what a steal the Eight Series is. :)
    This weekend marks two years of ownership and I've been adding up what it's cost me to own and run since the day I got the keys.
    If I include everything (yes, I am that sad to know these figures :oops: ), including buying it in 2005 (£8500) and all bills (including insurance, tax, MOT, full strip down respray, parts - yes, absolutely everything except fuel) it all adds up to a grand total of about £13000. That gets me a rare, beautiful car which looks pretty much like new (and convinces the kids I teach that I must be a part-time bank robber to afford such "bad wheels").

All I haven't added is depreciation - because I've no idea what it's worth now.

I was thinking of selling it - but what else out there can offer so much for so little?!

Any suggestions, please let me know............

• looking at recent adverts I'd say you would still get 9K for it, so depreciation hasn't bitten you at all. 2K per year is still a price worth paying for the 8 even in depreciation, but by the sounds of it you wont have too much to spend over the coming years anyway - it's too well looked after !

Inc purchase price and repairs/upgrades I reckon mine has cost me in the region of 14K, but again, I hope I'm over the hill regarding the major repiars for now.

14k would buy me nothing brand new worth having, and even if I did buy new I'd lose at least 2K per year in depreciation - with any repair costs covered by dealer warranty.

Like you, I give the impression of wealth with ownership, despite not actually being loaded - plus it's a good hobby/interest to be part of :D

• Lucky people!

Cost of purchase, insurance, MOT, servicing, repairs etc must be nearing £100k - £65k ish was just purchasing in the first place!

Dealer offered me £9k trade in towards the 535d before xmas - er, no thanks.

He only gave me £19k for the 53 plate 530d!

Cars = expensive business!

• Interesting this :!: Many of my friends/& children say " why dont you get a decent car" i say to them all" Depreciation" over the years my losses on buying 1x sierra cosworth, 2 x range rovers & 1x e36 325 new from the dealers amounts tom £55,000 :shock: add to that the cost of other used cars I've owned that figure would surel rise to £80,000 where as the 8 stands me in at 12k over 4.5 years :D . So yeah i can truly agree with you guys :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• There isn't a newer model V12 on the marked that i can afford at the moment. And the engine is..... well you just can't beat a V12.

And for me, my 850 was a "childhood" dream realized, I had posters of it in my room when I was a teen.

People generally think I'm joking when I say the car is 17 years old, they cant believe it's that old. And the power.... well most the words they say might offend someone, so lets just say their impressed.

My 1990 850ia cost me 220.000nok (27.000 euros/18.300£/35.000$) to buy (got it cheap).
    Had som minor service items changed, a powersteering hose and rear end bushings. But no real expenses, ordered alot of parts from the US, at 7000$ (complete new ignition system and o2 sensors).
    Now I intend to install a new stereo system 'cause the 17 year old stock one has done it's job.
    New wheels to be fitted aswell.
    CSI optics and a respray is on the future "to do" list.

All in all my 8 will cost me alot of money in the end. maybe close to 350.000nok (43.000euro/29.000£/55.000$).
    But I don't care, it's my dream car and I'll never ever sell it.

But than again a new M6 here is 2 million nok (247.000euro/166.000£/317.000$)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• 8 THE BEST

Despite of all new range of models and new engines from BMW

There still is not anything that turns more heads than the 8 series.

Not EVEN the new M3 thats about to come out, not the Six and not even the M5.

I think the only other car that has the "Turns head factor" from BMW is the Very very rare Z8 and thats because it really is very rare to see on the roads. The T Reg 8 series is my second one ive now owned in two years. My first was 1998 Sreg Sport in Velvet Blue. In total I have spent £37000 just buying the two. the first cost me £22k and this T Reg cost me 15k. And it was all worth it.

And the best thing about it is.......... Ive never once got bored of driving it unlike the E46 328ISE ive just bought LOL

an its true what some of you say. you wont find a better V8 or V12 engined car to drive fro the money.

Whats available ??? Mercs old CL's Porsche 928 GTS or Jags Horrible XJ SERIES with that lazy V12 engine

• UK Zero who did the repaint. I am going to the states for a month later in the year and thought this would be a good time to book my 8 in for a paint job (and its under lock and key). What sort of money for a good full respray with a little rust treatment?? :D

I have only had my 8 since November and spent about £1200 but that did include a full exhaust inc cats new batteries and odds and ends
    I agree nothing turns heads like an 8 :wink:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• I reckon mine stands me in at about 18k, but then that's still dam cheap when it comes to such a car like the eight.

To answer your question, I personally don't think you can beet the eight for value for money really, this is almost the same for the 7, just look how much they are going for and again you are getting a whole lot of car for your £££££ :D but then the 7's are very common compared to the 8.

My advice, keep with the eight :D:D

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!