840Ci 6spd Manual - Chassis CC11093

• Hey Steve, how many miles did you drive that day?

I thought a man of your standing would have flown!

And for those of you getting 18 miles per gallon..........you aren't driving hard enough! Around town I'm lucky to see 15MPG and our gallon is 4.54 litres , same as yours.

Paul M in your twenties, get ready for a few more years of cog swapping and then when you get to your 50's you will be glad for a sludge-omatic, for a while, and then one day when you spot the correct Getrag 6 speed on fleaybay you may lapse into a momentary insanity, as I did, and buy it.

Apart from the short period of insanity "she who must be obeyed" happened to say 'it's a pity it isn't a manual' because she would love to drive it on a racetrack.

Do you think this will keep her off my case for a while?

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Zitat von theo

Hey Steve, how many miles did you drive that day?

I thought a man of your standing would have flown!

And for those of you getting 18 miles per gallon..........you aren't driving hard enough! Around town I'm lucky to see 15MPG and our gallon is 4.54 litres , same as yours.

My current average is 16.4 MPG according to the computer :)

Zitat

Paul M in your twenties, get ready for a few more years of cog swapping and then when you get to your 50's you will be glad for a sludge-omatic, for a while, and then one day when you spot the correct Getrag 6 speed on fleaybay you may lapse into a momentary insanity, as I did, and buy it.

Perhaps, but I think being enthusiastic about driving runs in the family. My dad has always liked his enjoyable cars, having owned a Lotus Cortina back in his youth. As he's got older the cars have got more refined and practical, but even now he has a 330Ci with a manual gearbox, and to the best of my knowledge never even considered getting an automatic version (they're probably split about 50/50 on the 330Ci, so plenty of choice for either variant).

I like the feeling of control with a manual, and absolutely loathe the effect of the torque converter. I've never driven an SMG but would like to try one, not sure if I'd like losing the clutch pedal, but the fact that it's got a normal clutch rather than a torque converter is a big plus to me. If I really needed an automatic for whatever reason, I'd probably be much happier with an SMG, although even then I expect I'd use the paddles to tell it when to shift.

Zitat

Apart from the short period of insanity "she who must be obeyed" happened to say 'it's a pity it isn't a manual' because she would love to drive it on a racetrack.

I'm not sure I'd take the 8 on a track, mainly due to the worry that someone in a £500 banger will try some stupid manoeuvre that takes me out with them. I do have a second car, a Vauxhall Omega 3.0 MV6 which is also manual (no surprise there) and is RWD. I know someone with a similar car who's taken it on the track and he said it's great fun. So I'd be less worried about sustaining damage in this car, even if it is a bit less powerful (215 BHP) than the BMW.

• Paul, the only reason I have an auto 8 is that of the 298 that came to Oz, none were V8 manuals and only 8 were V12 manuals.

I am looking forward to the conversion although it will take a while to round up all the bits so it will be like a factory delivered car.

As for the track I agree with the 'idiot out there theory' so it would only be a BMW club day where you run against your own handicap with a couple of other cars of same or higher value. Even then I would wnat to have met the other guy to ensure he (or she) does have a sense of pride and really doesn't have the "ah well , it's only money" attitude.

Maybe it is only money and maybe easy come easy go but there are not enough replacements out there and I really don't feel like going through the resto process again.

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Zitat von theo

Paul, the only reason I have an auto 8 is that of the 298 that came to Oz, none were V8 manuals and only 8 were V12 manuals.

I thought one of the three M62 840Ci manuals are in Oz? It was for sale recently, for what seemed (to me) like a crazy price, although I don't know the going rate for 840s over there.

Zitat

As for the track I agree with the 'idiot out there theory' so it would only be a BMW club day where you run against your own handicap with a couple of other cars of same or higher value. Even then I would wnat to have met the other guy to ensure he (or she) does have a sense of pride and really doesn't have the "ah well , it's only money" attitude.

Maybe it is only money and maybe easy come easy go but there are not enough replacements out there and I really don't feel like going through the resto process again.

cheers

Absolutely, I'd hate to damage my 8 on a track day, not least because even a small amount of damage can see these cars written off due to the huge expense in obtaining replacement panels and other parts.

And over here, track day insurance is very expensive with a large excess, so to my knowledge most people don't bother with it and just hope they come out unscathed.

• I think that car was actually in New Zealand where men are men and sheep are nervous.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones that has plenty of spares as I have dismantled a couple of wrecks. I also keep an eye open for those easy to damage and hard to find parts and panels. Keep an eye on ebay.de (Germany) for odd bits. There were plenty on the road and they are now finding the wreckers yards (breakers huh?)

Currently there is a LHD front guard (fender, depending on your accent) going fairly well priced.

Just the same there is a risk but in the overall picture I believe that driving on the roads with drunks , druggies and the general idiot of today the racetrack would offer better odds.

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Maybe you've already seen it, but for those still looking for an 840 manual, there's a "maybe" (could be very maybe !) on Autotrader right now.

Not enough pics to tell, but description definately says 6 speed manual.
    Rest of description iffy - '95 Nreg 840 Ci Sport ??

61k miles, private plate, £8,950.

• Zitat von theo

Paul, the only reason I have an auto 8 is that of the 298 that came to Oz, none were V8 manuals and only 8 were V12 manuals.

Theo -- always good to see you posting. Mate, your total number of 8's imported to OZ is correct, however, the number of V12 manuals is inccorrect. From the inventory project -- here are the specific numbers for Australia with specific build sheets:

M70 850i/CiA (automatics)
    - actual number: 115

M70 850i/Ci 6spd manuals
    - you reported: 8
    - actual number: 17
    - of these 17, I have Aussie Autocheck reports on 11 of them.

S70 850CSi (obviously all 6spds)
    - actual number: 3
    - a 4th one, a Tobago Blue 850CSi originally delivered to Singapore entered Australia a few years ago; I have Aussie AutoCheck reports on all CSi's.

M60/M62 840Ci
    - actual numbers: 163
    -- M60 840Ci - 111
    -- M62 840Ci - 52
    You are correct, there were no manual 840's delivered to Australia; only to New Zealand (check archives here for a detailed conversation about these cars). ALL: The two NZ 840Ci 6spd cars were dissected and discussed a couple of months - check archives.

To recap, here are the final numbers:
    115 - M70 850i/CiA (automatics)
    17 - M70 850i/Ci 6spd manuals
    3 - S70 850CSi
    111 - M60 840CiA (automatics)
    52 - M62 840CiA (automatics)
    -----
    298 - Total

Let's keep those numbers accurate ! (big grin)

Jud

• Zitat von theo

I think that car was actually in New Zealand where men are men and sheep are nervous.

Can't let that one go!

In New Zealand the sheep are all fluffy and white......
    However, in Australia they are all brown and dirty.............
    Like they have been rolled around in the dirt a lot. :?:

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Thanks Jud

thanks Jud of r the clarity on numbers.

Not sure where I got the wrong number on the no CSi manuals but good to be correct now. Also good to know of the 4th CSI. Have you any idea where bit went in OZ or for that matter where the other two are.?

We know of Greville Edgerton's dark blue with grey leather is but no idea on the other two. Rumour has it that one was bought by a well known businessman who had a major share in a local BMW dealership and that the car may be in a collection while the last may be white and has been tastefully re decorated with cow ides etc, a rumour which is akin to our worst nightmare!

and finally, thanks and congrats on your fantastic input that will benefit 8 series owners worldwide for many decades to come

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• 840ci manual givin it large

hi all
    took my auto out today and gave it some!
    then swapped into the manual and done the same.
    the manual is more exciting and seems a lot quicker.
    very impressed with the manual but must say was happier in the auto (im idle and too old)
    might have to consider selling them both and get a csi
    any takers?

E31-840CI 1995 (AUTO) AND IM STILL A MEMBER!

• Zitat

Not sure where I got the wrong number on the no CSi manuals but good to be correct now. Also good to know of the 4th CSI. Have you any idea where bit went in OZ or for that matter where the other two are.?

Contact me offline to discuss the Aussie 850CSi's.

Also, let's keep the discussion to the current topic here: the 840Ci 6spd manual that Badboy recently purchased...and now he wants to sell them both to get an 850CSi?

Cheers,

Jud

• Zitat

it takes a little bit of getting used to when going from a manual (stick shift) car, your left leg gets used to pushing all the way down for the clutch which means you start off left foot braking by standing the car on its nose for a bit ;)

Funnily enough I have more problems going the other way. Because I drive the manuals less frequently I occasionally wind up rushing in to a corner, gently applying the "brake" with my left foot and then having a small panic attack when the car does not slow down, then frantically moving the right foot for the middle pedal! :shock:

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Hey Jud,

nice to hear from you.

The manual you are thinking of was in fact in New Zealand , i believe.

BMW did bring 17 manual 850 in and 3 CSI's plus there is a private CSi import as well but certainly no 840 manuals unless a personal import that has not been spoken about.

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Hi Theo;

Yes, I sent you a spreadsheet (remember???) with this information on the CSi's.

(grin)

Jud

• Jud hi,

getting old and doing too much in too little time does those things!

I opened the page at Paul Hughes's article and was answering his question with my left brain while writing with the other half of the right half, or something. I know what I mean.

Actually I was half way through packing for a 6am connecting flight to Las Vegas for the SEMA show. My friend of 4o years , Kevin Mc Intyre of K-Mac Suspensions has eighteen new products under a heap of patents and needs a hand with his exhibits so I was volunteered.

Anyone going along, please come by and say hi

CHEERS

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!