• wow...any idea how much that conversion is??

I guess you get those 400 stallions with it... 8)

Frix

(Another) 1997 Velvet Blue 840Ci Sport...with a Greek attitude to driving!!

• Amazing !

I wonder whether he replaced a 4.0 or 4.4L ? And whether the gearbox and drive train was replaced too..... Either way that is one top quality project car.

Sometimes I do wonder though why the Americans spend so much on their engines/transmissions and still don't go the extra mile and fit the CSi spoilers and mirrors ??? Surely in the scheme of things this cost would be small.....

8)

• You will find that generally, the US car owners are far more performance orientated both in the handling and engine departments than they are in the body parts and bling. Mirrors and spoilers don't help performance.
    Turbocharging and supercharging are everyday modifications and suspension upgrades are very commonplace.
    If I had to be brutal, the US cars go for performance but the Euro cars go for looks.

Take for example, 4 PAGES of discussions as to whether you should fit M3 grilles in an 8 on this very board!

Compare the conditions of UK roads to the US, and the tax collectors, (sorry, road safety cameras) everywhere.
    Here in the UK you just gotta look good doin' 30mph, cos you seldom get the chance to floor it anyway! And it costs £80 to fill it up, not £30. And it's probably raining!

8Tech.

:cry:

• I think it has more to do with greater average disposable income rather than anything else, which does tie in to a degree with the cost of fuel etc like you mentioned.

Also, I think it was the USA that invented 'bling'..... so that can't be it.

Csi bodykits do enhance both performance aerodynamics AND appearance, to which my point about why the US owners often overlook them - I just don't get why you would make your car super powerful but neglect basic aerodynamics.

As for the M3 Vent discussion..... well surely that is what a Forum is for ? Having a lighthearted debate as to whether or not to do it never did anyone any harm :D

• Great points from everyone! Me personally, I would grab the Horse Power first, Then the bling afterwards, There's so much racing in the US that spoilers want get the job done up front, Down the line they will be a priority!!! That's the way it seems here anyway, Unless you have lots of money at your disposable, I will go to BMW motor werks tomorrow and get the HP output of that 8 above, I will also ask about the Drivetrain to see if it was swapped also.

Cheers,

• Zitat von peter1980

BHP for me (well, all necessary rapairs first).

btw. Is that an new M5 engine? If so, can the gearbox handle the 500+ horse power?

Nope it's the V8 engine from the E39 M5. 400 BHP, but more importantly from a transmission point of view it actually produces more torque than the new V10 M5 -- about 400 lb ft I think.

The Getrag 6-speed will handle this engine's output no problem at all, although the standard clutch may struggle -- CSi clutch should solve that issue. I believe the standard E39 M5 gearbox is very similar to the one used in the 8 so should bolt straight up no problem.

• Zitat von Seb

Actually the new V10 develops more torque - 384lb ft as opposed to 369lb ft from the V8.

Don't know what all the fuss is about :D My humble 840 cia is packing 400+ bhp & 450 ft lbs torque :lol::lol:

Seriously though, what an exception Conversion :wink:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Re: 840M5!!!

Zitat von ///M Turbo

840 with a M5 Engine!!! :shock::idea:
    Faisals find...

Where was that meet held at? It looks like in the CA Wrenchfest, but I've been so busy that I didn't even know if there was one.

John P.

• Actually the picture shows where the install was done, They even have the donor car mounted on the wall Lol! It was done at Coast Motor works in Huntington Beach, Ca.

• Zitat von ///M Turbo

Actually the picture shows where the install was done, They even have the donor car mounted on the wall Lol! It was done at Coast Motor works in Huntington Beach, Ca.

Thanks! I'm close by. I'll see if I can check them out. What's there website or address?

John P.

• Zitat von ///M Turbo

Here ya go!

15385 Chemical Ln ----Lots of goodeiz there!

Thanks! Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? I know a a couple So Cal locals that would like to start a montly meet.

John

• I'm in the Anaheim area. My friend is in Diamond bar and a few others in Anaheim Hills, Huntington Beach & Irvine. Were you at Wrenchfest in Irvine a few years back?

John P.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!