New steering wheel

• It is actually just the opposite. You best assume that none of the E46 steering wheels will fit.

The multifunction wheel Martin described above only works because the airbag itself is a 1-stage airbag taken from either E31 or E36. Mechanically you´d have issues without end which require CNCing parts etc.

What you can do is look into purchasing steering wheels that were in use until ca. 1999. After that date chances are high that they have a 2-stage airbag which may or may not explode in your face :dontknow:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von Paul_M;47418

It would be interesting to find out how they went about it, as the new airbags have two connectors compared to one with our airbags.

A rather old kick, but... Starting in April 1999, BMW introduced the two-stage airbags. Several people put a two-stage wheel in a car equipped only for a single-stage airbag by hooking up only one of both airbags. This doesn't seem to cause the airbag warning light to come on. But that doesn't mean the airbag will deploy properly in a crash!

• Okay, thank you for advice !

So, since I've seen in BMW's ETK that part nr of the 3 spokes sport 2 steering wheel corresponding to my 1995's E31 was also used on E34 and E39, can I assume I could get a steering wheel that was compatible with those cars ?
    Also, what years of the E36 production could be compatible with my car ?

I think many people that sells their steering wheel don't even know that there is a difference between single stage and double stage airbags, so they wouldn't be able to tell me what kind they are selling ... Not so easy to find what I'm searching for !

I don't remember where I saw this picture some months ago, but it seems that someone dit manage to mount it in the E31 :

• On bimmerforums I just talked to A guy that tells me that the E46 wheel will fit.
    However it requires heavy modifications.

The pinion on the steering column needs to be machined to fit the wheel.
    The wheel needs to be machined to fit the old style slipring.
    and the wiring needs to be modified for the airbag.

All in all, it CAN be done, but requires alot of work.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com…/showthread.php?t=1186243

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1080497

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Okay, thanks for advice, I think this is a bit too complicated !!!

So now, back to the wheel Seb did fit in the fist message of this post, if I buy a ///M steering wheel removed from a 1998 E36, will I be sure it will fit my 1995 E31 ?

If yes I will just buy it and go on ! (I'll post you pictures when it will be mounted, for sure !)

• Zitat von sierramike67;60949

Okay, thanks for advice, I think this is a bit too complicated !!!

So now, back to the wheel Seb did fit in the fist message of this post, if I buy a ///M steering wheel removed from a 1998 E36, will I be sure it will fit my 1995 E31 ?

If yes I will just buy it and go on ! (I'll post you pictures when it will be mounted, for sure !)

Should be no problem. I did similar a while back with mine, as did a few others.

I found it a very simple job to do.

much nicer than the 4 spoke one IMO :)

• Okay, thanks, I will buy it then !

By the way, nice job about your car-pc integration ! A bit too much job for my little spare time but I appreciate ! I'm just wondering if the climate control head unit still measures the same temperature where you put it for the mod ...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!