New steering wheel

• Zitat von TallTony

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations. You don't have any proof !! :shock::lol:

So TT how did you work that one past the Mrs :lol: a weekend away or a new outfit et :wink::lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I just couldn't let it get away, so my VISA friend helped me out.... :?:shock:

Unlike some stuff I could spend on, at least this will get use ALL the time :lol: and it does look good, Hartge or not. Had a good year at work, so this is the last major pressie for my car for a while.... not much more to get though to be honest. I want the cockpit to look as smart as possible, and this wheel will help to do that. Plus the two tone is in keeping with the rest of my leather.

When I get round to fitting it will be anyone's guess. Might leave it until I put the touchscreen console in, since I'll be removing panels and equipment at that time. Also if any multifunction inserts come up for this wheel type I may work on that whilst it's out of the car.

Anyway, I am happy but guilt ridden :lol::lol:

• Nice one Tony - we're wheel cousins now ;)

Zitat von argonaut

Personally I don't like it that much - see my earlier "insulting" remarks to Seb on his Christmas Pud steering wheel.
    ;)

9:11am and you were already hating on my wheel! If we ever meet I'll let you have a feel of my rim and I'm sure you'll be a convert ;)

• Zitat von Seb

Nice one Tony - we're wheel cousins now ;)

9:11am and you were already hating on my wheel! If we ever meet I'll let you have a feel of my rim and I'm sure you'll be a convert ;)

Ooeerr, I'm not entirely sure I want a feel of your rim, thanks all the same :?

• Love it or hate it, here is the new steering wheel as fitted by my good self :D

bit of a pig to do, mainly head-scratching due to the different wiring of the horn via the slip ring, but got there in the end. Once figured out it actually isnt difficult at all, as these things usually are.....

One small bug bear is that the steering lock doesnt seem to work now. Looks like I'm gonna have to dismantle it again to investigate. Seb, I presume your's works ?

• I've recently picked up a multi-function steering wheel that works with the single stage airbag so should be a straight swap this time. Could you elaborate on this interface you have built? Even just pointing out what each wire on the interface is for, as I'm struggling to find a wiring diagram for it.

Much as I'd like to join your site (http://www.8er.org) as there are some very interesting projects there, my German is non-existent so there's not much point really :(

Cheers
    Paul.

• Hi Guys

I have had an E46 M3 SMG wheel fitted and the paddles connected and it is great! The wheel feels good and of course the paddle shift is excellent.

I had the various switches on the E46 wheel removed and the "T" piece trimmed in black leather.

However, it is a bit of a nightmare to fit! Mine was done by Michael Fernando at CA Automotive and I understand that Birds also do it.

Definately worth the effort though!

• I'd love to see some pictures of your car, or even come to a meet.
    I bet with all the work you've had done it looks amazing

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• How did you get the dual stage airbag to work, or did you forfeit the airbag? That is the main sticking point to getting newer wheels to work. I'd love the E46 M3 wheel as it's loads nicer than any of the single-stage airbag steering wheels. I don't care for the SMG paddles as I have a real gearbox so don't need them ;)

• That is interesting. If the light comes on with the ignition, and goes out after 5 seconds as normal, then the system is seeing the right kind of airbag (at least the right resistance). It would be interesting to find out how they went about it, as the new airbags have two connectors compared to one with our airbags.

• Hi,

I'm searching for more informations about steering wheel compatibility, maybe some of you could help me ? I own a 850 Ci MY1995 (manuf. 04/1995), it has a ugly 4 spoke steering wheel (the one like the E39 Multifunctions steering wheel but without the MF). I would be very interrested in fitting the E46 M3 wheel like this one :

But how can we know about compatibilities ? Can we say "every steering wheel adaptable in E46 can fit in a E31 from 1994/-" ? Or is there any other way to deduce ?
    Many thanks ...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!