Wheel care

• Hi all,

As we all know, our beloved monsters are pretty heavy on brake pads. This tends to result in the wheels looking filthy in no time flat. I am soon to get my throwing star rims refurbished and would like to keep them looking thier best.

Lots of you have beautiful and expensive hoops on your machines, so I would like to know does anyone have any clever solutions to removing brake dust effectively and preventing it from obtaining such a tenacious grip thereafter?

Cheers

MB

• On painted wheels i've used a weak solution of brick acid, i wouldn't use it on lacqured metal tho in case of stone chips resulting in bare metal. Worked fine for me for years.
    Les

• All I use is a good dose of washing up liquid in warm/hot water :) If your rims are in as new condition & you take the time to wash them at least once a week it's all you should need :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I did buy some wheel wax that you apply after washing them that is supposed to make brake dust just wash off with the hose, but it doesn't so now I don't bother, all I do is just give them a good wash and dry oh and give the tyres a good couple of coats of meguiars tyre gel :D

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• I use car shampoo (Carplan I think from Halfords) which I wash the car with then move onto the wheels. I first spray them with brake dust remover, can't remeber what it's called but I get it at Halfords. I spray the fronts first because they are always worst then the rears, then immediately wash the rears and then the fronts.

I also stopped using the stock BMW brake pads as they create loads of dust and use EBC Red stuff which create a lot less dust.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• MB like you are am trying to get my stars re finished. I may have to get them done at closer to xmas so that I can lay the car up. As for cleaner I currently use the Tesco red stuff (what ever its called) although I would not use this on newly finished wheels. SO like you I am interested in the experience of others.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• When I first got my new wheels (polished/lacquered "parallel" replicas)this year, before the wheels even went on the car, gave them a 3 layer coating (with polishing between layers) of a spray-on wheel wax they were selling in Halfords. Can't remember the brand.
    This spray-on wax is quite thin, and when I re-wax next time, think I will use normal thicker conventional wax.

In dry conditions, means you can just wipe-off brake dust from the outer polished rim with a tissue or dry rag (As long as you do it regularly).
    In rainy conditions a damp cloth will do (again if done regularly).
    If left longer just wash them with same car-wash/water mix would use on the rest of the car.
    On the polished outers, the wax appears to have saved them from minor stone chips and curbing affecting the laquer. I always recoat with wax on such spots as soon as I notice.

Inner rims are more difficult to get at to clean and have to have wheels off car to do this job properly. Am hoping that the wax protection will have given enough protection between cleans.
    As the inner rims on these wheels have a sprayed silver paint finish, the brake dust build up on the inners does look a bit unsightly. Am thinking of respaying the inners in (as near as I can get to) "brake dust colour". Then rewaxing again.

Haven't been through winter use (with salt) yet. Will see how well the wax treatment survives that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!