Thinking about a trip to the "Dark Side"

• I am thinking about adding a 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse to my fleet as my winter car.

It is from after the replacement of the Lucas - Prince of Darkness electronics with Bosch computers by BMW.

Any comment good or bad is welcome.

• A winter car is a winter car..... as long as it does the job.....
    But if you're in the marked for a big 4x4 SUV, why not go for the X5?

Now I'm a bit biased, so my cars the past 6 years have been BMW's.
    (after driving a Ford, an Opel and a Nissan)

Last winter I had a 1988 e30 325ix (4wd).
    But it was getting to old so I got rid of it, however it was one of the funniest cars I have ever driven. (like a go-kart)

I just got a 2003 e46 325ci Clubsport for daily/winter use.

If I was in the marked for a 4wd SUV, I'd go for the X5, According to Top Gear, it outperforms the Porsche Cayenne on everything. (handlig, steering, brakes and laptime).
    If I was not into track driving I'd have an X5 as my daily driver, but since I needed something to throw around the track, I got the 325ci.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I had a 2001 4.0 HSE and I quite liked it...

Bad points were.

Seats are quite firm on a long journey!! (Boney A$$)

Air suspension is quite boat like and expensive if it goes wrong.... Cheaper to convert to coil springs than replace the air pump / sensors....

We had in the UK a lot of problems with the 4.6 over heating, big time and it was so severe that the only thing to do is replace the engine!!!

In short buy a 4.0lt...

Hope this helps....

Alex

• Zitat

If I was in the marked for a 4wd SUV, I'd go for the X5, According to Top Gear, it outperforms the Porsche Cayenne on everything. (handlig, steering, brakes and laptime).

Top Gear also say...the X5 is hated, and a "wankers car"!, and i agree!. In the UK it just attracts that kind of person :roll: .

Range Rover or a Patrol for me! :D
    Les

• :D Whats the difference between a Hedgehog & a X5 ?

A, One has pricks on the outside,the other has pricks on the Inside :lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I thought the X5 was a good idea. I drove a 4.4L and it was okay not great. They told me if I wanted a more sporting X5, they had what I needed (if you ever hear that, RUN).

They had an X5 3.0 Sport with manual gearbox, seemed HOT, in a moment of weakness, I leased it. It drives well until a wheel, any wheel, begins to slip. Then Herr Bosch & the SS, (I mean ASC) step in and the driving experience becomes even worse than with the E31s when ASC steps in.

Now you have two diffs, both open spool and modern ABS shutting everything down,and that is on normal roads. On snow and ice? Are you crazy? DO NOT BUY AN X5 FOR WINTER SLICK DRIVING. It does not know how. When the slipping begins, it will literally stop the car from moving forward and jerk the living he!! out of you in the process (while you scream and curse).

Driving enthusiastically, real 4 wheel drifting with a grin? Not a chance, it sucks. I lived with this for almost a year and did a swap-a-lease with some poor unsuspecting X5's are great sap.

All this goes back to the LSD thread vs. open spool and ASC+T.

Bad memories.

• The better half thinks that the X5 is too ugly to be seen in.

This 4.6 is local to me and cheap enough to not have to postpone my retirement for. I get to see it tomorrow morning. Sounds almost like a 7 series in 4x4 clothing.

This one is in the range where BMW was supposed to be improving quality and had changed the computers over to Bosch.

But it still has the 4.6 Rover motor and drive train. No 4.0s are available near here :(

There is an American company making new air bags that are designed to improve Freeway handling to meet or exceed the level of the next generation BMW/Rover. :D http://www.arnottindustries.com/

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Terry, the "P38" RR you are looking at still has more than it's fair share of issues - not though that should faze you! BM only really rolled up their sleeves with the "L30" or current RR - hence this is a vast improvement.

Cheers,

mark

• I seem to be getting rather bored with the BMW uniformity across model lines so the semi-BMW Rover could be an interesting change of pace. :D

I am also looking for a plot of land somewhere beyond the end of the pavement so having a couple of vehicles that could get there for the whole year would be good too. The wife has a 5 liter AWD Ford Explorer as a daily driver.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Go for the RR TerryY (but don't forget to get fully equipped with Green Rubber boots and a nice Barbour jacket) :)

Just kidding, RR's are great cars, not without their issues but having used an RR and an X5 I'd take the RR any day thanks, the X5 is great for doing the kids-to-school run but crap for pretty much everything else. (BTW I hate people that buy an SUV to do the take-the-kids-to-school run, unless they live in the middle of nowhere, people using them in places like London are plain daft. Rant mode switched off again now)

:D

• Well I did it :D I feel at home driving it like I did in my 7 :D

Only thing that I have found so far is that it needs mechanically is a brake accumulator. The 'bags are still on it and work OK and the engine purrs like a kitten :D

It has the same 4HP24 transmission as the early 850i's :shock: But the controls look much cuter with 2 identical gear patterns separated by a Neutral gate for High and Low ranges.

More flashing lights and illuminated switches than an airplane :( I should have fun :D

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Funny that you should mention 4 exit exhausts because I had already seen where they were available - look just like those on an 8 :D

It is on Stock 18's and I think that I will leave those on for a while. 255/55 x 18's all around.

The clear turn signals look ok but I am not sure about the Limousine tint yet :(

Sure is nice to see under with the suspension at the top though :) it goes 5" up from the "Kneel" position.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!