OUCH! Another expensive avoidable repair. *NOW WITH PICS*

• Yeah.... well I don't bother signing up for a membership just to see this post.

Give me the outlines will ya???

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I didn't realise you could not access the forum so here are the details.

hmm.. well after having put intraxx springs in my ride say.. 4 months ago.. i suddenly got some creaking noice in my back right side.. checked it out, and lookie what i found:

i got reinforcement plates last week and will obviously have to put those in.. but for now.. what the heck am i gonna do about this? Sad

help please

• Ah... thatone... knew about it.

Mine failed too.... had it fixed in June this year.

Simply just welded it back together and painted over it..... oh, and had 4mm Stainless sttel reinforcement plates made.

You can fix this in 2 ways.

-weld it back together (like I did.
    -change the whole tower, more expensive, and also requires welding.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Gerry, my forum is private and membership is by invitation only under normal circumstances. Trying to keep the riff-raff out! 8-) That being said, I would always welcome the mature owners on this fine board to register and partake if so inclined. The rash of new registrations from Europe over the past few days has been confusing to me as I didnt see this message here until moments ago. Now it is all very clear. To those of you who registered welcome aboard. Access was granted to all who registered even if you did not receive confirmation. To those who did not receive confirmation is uis because your email bounced. Also if you did register, please take a moment next time on the Forum to update your profile to show your location if you havent already done so.
    Thanks!
    Tom (Wuffer)

• Zitat von Lloyd

Is this something that happens only with modified springs / wheel sizes or is this something we should all be aware of?

Heavier springs and lowering will contribute slightly towards this failure but the main culprit is uprated dampers, or even new stock dampers on a high mileage car. Wheel size is irrelevant.
    The problem is a fatigue failure of the thin metal shell where the top damper mount attaches with just those 2 nuts. The re-enforcing plates spread this load around the whole top of the mount.
    Uprated dampers increase the load and if the car is lowered and the bump stops make contact, this also greatly stresses this mount.
    Choice is a £30 plate kit or an £800 repair?
    Errr, let me think!

• 8tech I have design some plates for this job identical to those sold by Phonex only made of Stainless Steel 8) . I can get these made at work in my spare time which is the route i am likely to take. I will be trial fitting some this weekend make from poly prop to check the dimension etc. Photo's to come.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Just to clarify should anyone plan asking. I intend to make these plates for myself not for general supply. As most of you are aware I run an construction and engineering college site. As such I just like to keep my hand in so to speak.
    They are not for general release and never will be. As indicated in earlier messages they are sold by
    http://www.phoenixmotorsport.co.uk and designed and tested to do the job.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• I didn’t know they made plates to repair this on-going problem with the 8's. Mine where already broken before I bought the car, I did notice the brakeage during my inspection of the car. The owner was surprised I started gutting his car out before buying it. So I built my own and installed plates top and bottom. They are welded in place on both sides. I didn’t cheap out using sheet metal either, I used 1/8th inch cold rolled flat plate, 4” wide Drilled and milled to fit.

They where in the shape of an hour glass, like on a black widow hour glass, when laid down they made an Iron Cross + after I stitch welded them in place I polished the weld and plate smooth, then I shoot some color on it with an air brush with factory match paint, cant notice them at all, they look like part of the body now, Took about 3 hours to do the job, except I did wait until the next day to set the trunk panels back in the trunk.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!