Retro fitting an arm rest

• my take on the e46 install :D

the armrest sits a bit lower down than as I want it to conceal the old fashioned HVAC which will fit under it.

the thing would go vertical, but I wanted to keep the (last remaining) cubby hole for old times sake !

at least somewhere else to store stuff though now... 1 x phone, 1x lighter !

clearly I'm missing the centre divider at the moment as that is being fettled to fit the HVAC and iDrive wheel, in cubby hole and ashtray respectively.

• Tony I can adjust mine down to a lower position but i thought I would start high and then see how I go. In relation to the seat base and door arm rest is approx the same , but time will tell or a long drive if I need to come down. So for now I will wait and see. The main thing was to make it removable at this stage with little or no tell tale signs etc.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Guys I will look into producing some of these brackets and let you know. I made this one in the workshop at work and it took a couple of hours start to finish learning as I went so there may be a even easier solution I will have a think.

Lloyd

• Zitat von hallworth1

Very impressed Lloyd :) . Unfortunatly no good for me as i have one of those old fashioned manual gearboxes and im forever changing up n down gears :(
    Les

I have a Manual Gearbox as well. This armrest is not that long to interfere with shifting. I however recommend a rear slot mount for the manual gearbox cars. It will provide more room and elevate your elbow for a better (More comfortable) shifting position.

• I too am interested in these brackets, have missed it in the 8 since my previous e36 had one, and my current e46 has one.

My thought about height is that it should have the same height as the rear seat devider, just as if it protruded in between the front seats.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I have a Manual Gearbox as well. This armrest is not that long to interfere with shifting. I however recommend a rear slot mount for the manual gearbox cars. It will provide more room and elevate your elbow for a better (More comfortable) shifting position.[/quote]

Thank for the info Fasial, i'll look into that option. Actually i was being sarcastic with my previous post :) the auto boys on here seem to think a stick shift on an 8 is just plain wrong and hard work changing gear all the time :wink::)
    Les

• I've just fitted my armrest (thanks for the bracket Lloyd), as for height I've set it at the same height of the gear stick which seems to be fine anyhow here's a few pics, also notice my new gear stick, direct replacement from a 6 series with no mod required :D

• Well done Wayne, I glad the bracket was ok. Do you want some satin black vinyl to stick to the armrest body (the bit thats mounted to the bracket) this would make it look a bit more oem. Let me know and I'll send you some. I used it on mine although its not that clear on the picture. Maybe I should get the camera out.

p.s Alex I remember Just William too :wink: Although I preferred
    Dick Barton Special Agent :wink:

Lloyd

• It could be lowered its just it would have to be packed out from the bracket so that the armrest could still lift up.
    I've not been on a long drive with it in yet so I'm not 100% on the height but if it does need adjusting then its not a big deal.

Starting price of £200 :shock: forget it, I picked mine up for £34 which came with the whole centre console and the guy even delivered it by helicopter :lol: (perks of being in the army)

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Getting that OEM fitment look is always a challenge when it comes to items of trim.
    Luckily, I found that the perfect height/angle for my comfort meant that I could have the bottom of the arm rest flush with the console.

This had several advantages. Easier to make it look stock, the hinge did no have to hold the rest in place and the cubby hole is now out of sight.

My version is not to everyone's taste and the following glare-ridden flash and colour aberrated photos don't do it justice - but, if you'll pardon the pun, you can get the general picture.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!