Wheel options!

• My BBS splitties are in need of a refurb and I intend on doing it myself at a leisurely pace. I'm a real fan of the rims and I'll probably only intend to use them during the summer once completed. I'm not going to lacquer the dishes and will opt for polishing and waxing on a regular basis instead.

This leads me to my next question (and there will be many more to come no doubt...). What are the favored styles amongst you and what are the options regarding fitment?

I know someone who has a set of 18" M Parallel replicas shod with decent rubber. They're staggered 8.5 and 9.5 for the rears and they were previously on a 530 sport. Will these fit and fill the arches respectfully?

I'm not a great fan of replica wheels but one has to consider budget (having just purchased the car) and that these should be part time wheels. They're not bad to look at if a little 'flat faced' compared to the originals.

I'm not obliged to purchase them and thought I would consider other viable options.

Any suggestions? Pics wouldn't go amiss either :wink:

• @ Wayne - Those rims are simply stunning and to tell you the truth I've been hunting for a set for as long as I've been looking for the ideal 8!

Now that I've bought the car I'm a bit strapped this month (and for the foreseeable future at a guess :lol: ) but I'm quite ashamed of the state of split rims so I'm looking for a quickish fix.

No doubt, if a set of original Alpinas popped up for sale I'd gladly sell a kidney to have them...

• Just a matter of taste of course, but I beg to differ on the Alpinas. I really 'want' to like them because look great on many a bmw saloon, but somehow, on the 8 series I feel they don't 'gel' all that well with the rest of the car.

As I said, merely a subjective view...

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Glad you said that Wildatheart, been gagging to say something along those lines for ages. Personally i cant stick 'em, not saying my paralells are much better but to my eye suit the car better, the 19" even more so when lowered right.Good job we dont all have the same taste... :D

• I do like the Alpina rims myself however I have to admit that I like to keep to the original throwing star alloys (the up-to-date ones!) - I think they give the 8 a real nice sport(ier!) :D Just my pennies worth!

• Zitat von keenan

I do like the Alpina rims myself however I have to admit that I like to keep to the original throwing star alloys (the up-to-date ones!) - I think they give the 8 a real nice sport(ier!) :D Just my pennies worth!

I didn't realise there were different versions of the throwing stars! How do they differ?

• Zitat von wpo750

I didn't realise there were different versions of the throwing stars! How do they differ?

The genuine E31 throwing stars are a two piece wheel, you'll find a lot of wheels advertised for an E31 are actually only a one piece wheel, which were originally for a 5 series IIRC, but apart from that they're identical (I think).

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Zitat von keenan

I do like the Alpina rims myself however I have to admit that I like to keep to the original throwing star alloys (the up-to-date ones!) - I think they give the 8 a real nice sport(ier!) :D Just my pennies worth!

I had a set of 17" Alpina's as a spare for my E34 B10 and when I bought the 840 csi Sport I had them refurbised and put them on the car replacing the original E31 Sport Throwing Stars. I am with Wayne on this, I think the car looks much better on the Alpina's, especially parked beside the B10 and E21 Alpina, kind of makes them look like a set of cars.

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• I too tried to get wheels that was from the period the car was made, Had the ACS typ 2 on my when I got in 17", though since thay where 3-piece wheels the hub looked 14" :(

Since I also wanted a nice fat lip on my wheel the quest for new wheels begun.
    Many said that I should go for Alpinas, but I never liked wheels with more than 5 spokes.

I my quest I found the OZ Futura as a real contender.

Sadly they only came in 18", and I wanted 19" or 20"

After spending close to a year looking for something I liked I ended up with Work VS-KF.
    A modern 3-piece wheel with a black chrom hub and a 5" crome lip.

If you like classic wheels like the ACS check out http://www.felgen-garage.de
    This is where I bought my wheels, and my old ACS are for sale there newly refurbished.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!