Who with a UK car uses premium petrol?

• I always use Shell V Power 99 and get on average 280 - 300 miles per tank from it if I dont do much motorway driving. Can get upto 450 otherwise.

Pre diff swap I got an extra 100 miles on each of those figures. In the grand scheme of things petrol is still relatively cheap, when you consider the enjoyment I get from my car.

If economy was my main concern then the 8, or any other performance car of this era, would be a daft choice :)

• I use it if/when I can get it, and also depending on price -- I'm not prepared to be ripped off by those who charge a 20p/litre premium over standard unleaded.

I get around 250-300 miles to a tank, depending on driving style. I don't do much motorway these days though, and on B roads I like to test out the rev limiter now and again, which may explain me averaging 18 MPG in recent months.

• I always use V Power, or if that's not possible, big name super. I've got a Citi/Shell credit card which gives me cashback on Shell fuel purchases for starters, and I'm a V Power Club member so I got points from that and that's before you consider the additional performance, improved fuel economy and engine cleaning properties of V Power.

• V-Power whenever I can get it, easily noticable performance difference with this fuel. If V-Power isn't available then Ultimate or Excellium - both supposed to be 98 octane and the car runs happily enough with them.

I have a relative in the know working at Shell, V-power isn't ordinary fuel with added hype, it's a different refining process product.

• Zitat von Argonaut;50400

I have a relative in the know working at Shell, V-power isn't ordinary fuel with added hype, it's a different refining process product.

it's "F1 Ferrari Fuel for you car" :rofl: if you believe the adverts :oops:

Seriously though, I have no idea what goes into making it, but I do know that it makes a difference to our cars, purely because they are fairly powerful to begin with. If, for arguements sake, it gives 10% extra performance across the board, 10% of 286 is significant, but 10% of an 80bhp hatchback is negligble :)

• Zitat von TallTony;50414

it's "F1 Ferrari Fuel for you car" :rofl: if you believe the adverts :oops:

Seriously though, I have no idea what goes into making it, but I do know that it makes a difference to our cars, purely because they are fairly powerful to begin with. If, for arguements sake, it gives 10% extra performance across the board, 10% of 286 is significant, but 10% of an 80bhp hatchback is negligble :)

Now now Tony, calm down, if I didn't know you better I might be tempted to think you're taking the high octane pi§§ again :winkwink:

I also don't know exactly what goes into producing V-power. One point though, your claim about lower powered cars gaining only negligable amounts in power - true in actual BHP numbers but remember if you're driving something with low power anyway, every single horsepower is sacred (to paraphrase Monty Python). I used to drive a heap that had, wait for it, 88BHP ! I then fitted a viscous coupled cooling fan in place of the standard fixed fan which was reckoned to give you back about 3 BHP - I swear you could feel the difference :devilchilli:

• I actually wasn't taking the pi$$ out of you then, but out of Shell.... I live literally 100m away from a Shell garage and when it (V Power) was launched we had 10' high advertising hoardings up claiming it to be ferrari fuel for the road, with a red boiler suited man filling up an Alfa... I would find it amusing that the local boy racers would be filling up their Novas and Saxos with it, in the vain hope that their passengers (most likely called Debbi or Becki) would be impressed.... :hmmmm:

However..... 3 bhp ...... :rock:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!