Retro Fitting Rear PDC

• I've always wanted rear PDC so there started my search, I wanted a basic system with no displays or LED's so I ordered this one from eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-REVE…Q_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I then saw there was an 8 series being broken so I decided to buy the rear bumper so if I decided in the end I wanted to refer back it was no dramas.

Firstly I drilled the holes in the spare bumper sent it to the sprayers along with the sensors and lower diffuser.

I then took the old bumper off, three screws inside each rear wheel arch and several plastic wedges which you can see when your under the car.
    On removing the rear bumper I noticed how close the carrier was to the actual bumper so I had to drill holes through the carrier so there would be enough depth for each sensor so I fitted the bumper without the sensors to mark where each sensor goes.

I used all new spire nuts and bolts

I decided to run the cables through the breather on the passenger side as this would save drilling through the body. Re fitted the bumper, this would be a lot easier with two people as you need to guide it on to each bracket, it can be done single handed you just need patience. Fixed it all in place with new screws and the old wedges.
    Then fitted the rear diffuser back.

Tomorrow's job
    Now onto the electrics, the system I bought only had to be connected to the reverse 12v wire and a ground to the body. I managed to work out that the blue & yellow wire was the reverse positive wire so it will be a Case of connecting to that wire and making a good earth.
    I managed to connect it to a temp 12v and tested it out and all seems to be working great guns.

As many of you may notice I have decided at the moment to leave the foils off the bumper and diffuser as I think it looks OK without them but they can be added at any time.

I will continue this tomorrow.

So what do people think? Honest comments welcome
    I'm quite impressed as I think they look OEM. :)

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Wayne, this is an excellent addition :top:

Compared to what BMW used as OEM PDC anything current is miles ahead. Not only in terms of looks but also wrt to longevity as BMWs PDC sensors have a history of childbed fever.

The only problem for OEMmies is that it ain´t OEM :laugh:

Two of my cars have been outfitted with a system which is called "Park-Profi" over here. See Ebay.

This is a "minimal invasive" method to add basic PDC functionality (strictly backwards). It is very unobtrusive and easily installed (one 5mm hole in boot lid just underneath number plate). It does require a "standard" size (roughly 50cm/20 inches) number plate though.
    It suits just fine to park the car within 4 inches of a wall reversing... try that without PDC and with confidence :D

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Great job Wayne, looks very professional -- more so than the hideous OE system with those massive square sensors!

One reservation I have though, I had exactly the same system as you installed on a previous car I used as a daily driver when I was doing more mileage. It worked perfectly well, but the beeper used had a very cheap tinny sound to it (it's basically just a metal type buzzer). Not something that bothered me in my runaround, but I hold my 8 to higher standards :D. My dad's E46 has a factory fit audio only system, and it has a much better quality sound.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to fit a different sounder to the aftermarket system, after all it's only two wires with a voltage applied whenever a beep is required. I've no idea where to find something suitable though.

Where did you mount the beeper in yours? On my previous car I originally mounted it just behind the rear seat as recommended by the instructions. But I found I couldn't hear it unless I turned the radio down, so I extended the wires and relocated it to underneath the glovebox.

• One more thing I should add: the system I had came with 8 sensors and had 8 inputs, so you could use it for front sensors as well. I didn't bother with the front ones for two reasons. First I don't see the point as it's very easy to judge the distance to the front of the car, so it wasn't worth the hassle to install them in my opinion. Second, the rear sensors are active only when in reverse, which is ideal. But obviously the front sensors don't have an easy way to detect when you're parking, so they're either on all the time (annoying if you're in traffic I expect) or have to be manually switched on, meaning an unsightly switch somewhere.

• Paul M: I also have the 8 sensor kit ready to fit and definately want the front ones on after bashing the undertray on kerbs far too frequently.

I noticed on the 7 series that the PDC is not operational once moving above a certain speed, the cutoff is exactly the same time as when the TV display switches off 'for safety reasons'. Therefore, there must be a hook up into a speed sensor somewhere.

Maybe we could use a similar technique on the 8 ?
    Anyone know how it works on the 7 ?

;) Make the most and enjoy it all while you can..

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

• The 7 is no doubt controlled by the car's electronics, it's easy enough for BMW to integrate it in such a way. It could be done this way on the 8, but you'll need to design your own interface that counts the rate of speed pulses and switches off the interface above a certain level.

Not hugely difficult if you can program embedded microcontrollers (such as a PIC 16Fxxx series) but still lots more work than I'd consider worthwhile!

• Cheers for all the comments guys.

I've seen these systems before but I didn't want this kind of kit as I wasn't sure how good it is, especially near to the corners.

I'm on the electrics today, when I wired it to the temporary power the beeper was very loud so I'm planning on mounting it somewhere in the boot space but like you mentioned it did sound quite tinny so I may look into changing that.
    This kit I bought just came with 4 input's for the sensors but they do sell kits for the front and back, I just didn't want front so haven't really thought about fitting etc.

Seb, yeah I will give you a lift, no problems.
    I know Lloyd wants to do the same as well, he is currently sunning himself over the pond but when he comes back maybe few of us could have a meet and do everyone's at the same time, fancy it Tony?

Wayne.

• Great job Wayne :top:, I might have a go at doing this myself. Couple of questions... is there a reason the centre sensors aren't completely symmetrically placed? And on a side note, you mention the foils for the rear bumper; do BMW sell these seperately do you know..?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Cheers, no reason really I spaced the three gaps in between the the sensors equally.
    The foils are shown on RealOEM as separate items, part numbers, 51121940913 & 51122252014.

So on to today.

I started with deciding where I wanted the small box of tricks, as its quite small and also has a 3M pad on the back its quite easily to put it anywhere really.

Next was to solder the power feed on to the reversing wire, I earlier worked out that this was the blue & yellow. I also needed to find a earth so I connected the negative wire to a terminal ring.

Then it was to decide where I wanted the buzzer, I decided to put it near the amp, stuck to the metal body the the 3M pad supplied.
    On testing it is loud enough, even with music on and its not too tinny either.

So that's that, job done:top:

Now on to the next small job, I had these sprayed at the same time I was having the other bits done. Just got to wait for some decent weather:roll:

Wayne.

• Well I am back! Nice job Wayne as you know I too ordered the same kit as you when we had agreed the right one via email. I am glad to see the fitting process went well and I am very keen to do mine too soon. However like you I am also keen to get the rear bumper repainted (once the holes are drilled. Did you position them to a particular size / layout I had been looking at some pictures of the OEM system.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Good job there Wayne. Looks more OEM than the OEM version. :cool:

My car has OEM PDC, and the two mid sensor mounts look like add-ons (because they are) and are made of mild steel, so they rust. Stupid design really.:hmmmm:

However, they do work superbly and I only get the increasing frequency beeper when I am close to something (some types start beeping when you are miles away!). With this in mind I may buy a couple more (OEM) sensors to mount "invisibly" up front and use a changeover relay when I engage/disengage reverse to give my automatic selection of front/reverse sensors. Like I say, they only start to beep when I get close, so shouldn't be a problem in normal driving.

I'm now working on my bootlid redesign (on a spare bootlid, so no rush needed) and when it's finally done and in for painting I'll remount the middle PDC sensors which, I hope, should look how OEM ones would have done if they'd bothered to design it properly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!