Windscreen Wiper Parking

• I suspect that my wipers are not parking low enough - there have been some comments about them being hidden below the bonnet line when parked. I've looked in the sales catalogue for 1999 and you can't even see them in the BMW pictures. Mine are about 1.2 to 2" above the rear bonnet line when parked - is this too high? I seem to get quite a lot of wind noise above 50 MPH from the screen area.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• when "off" they are supposed to be hidden under the bonnet, when "on" or interval they stay where yours are.
    when you turn them off they stopp where yours are and 1 second later they pop under the bonnet.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• The important question is: do they move down roughly 2 inches once you turn off the windscreen wiper from interval?

The park position is reached by reversing the motor - a block in the linkage of the wipers might impede that movement.

In case they move down correctly, all that needs to be done is remove both arms and re-fit them properly aligned. For some mechanics it looks weird having the rubber lip park on the plastic, they rather reinstall with the rubber lip on glass which leaves that permanent misaligned impression and will also push the (driver side) wiper off the windscreen on the upper limit of movement.
    Your mechanic will need a special torx bit for the driver´s side wiper arm and will also need to take care that the ADS (wiper pressure depends on speed and is controlled through motor located there) setting is correct. Specs to be taken from repair manual.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Mine used to do this (not park properly that is) but it was down to my wiper mechanism beginning to sieze up. I lived with it for a while, until the whole mech finally gave up and the wipers wouldn't work - not a great feature in our inclement UK weather. Bought a frighteningly expensive new mech (for what it actually is) from $tealers and had it fitted properly.... problem went away :)

Could well be just a quick realignment of your existing set up as Reinhard suggests, but thought I'd add my experience.

• reinhard,
    That's exactly what mine are like. Parked just on the glass and the driver's wiper sweep off the glass onto the rubber surround at the end of its up stroke. I'll get the setup checked out. Thanks guys.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• My wipers seized up across the middle of the screen whilst driving in the rain on the motorway (eek!), the RAC assumed the motor was shot and had to bring me home.

The $tealers said the motor was ok but the linkage was seized and replaced it for the bargain price of £440 (double eek!). The linkage is marked on the diagram below;

Prior to this happening, the wipers used to park just out of view under the rear edge of the bonnet, unless they were switched on e.g. intermittent, then they would be a few inches higher onto the screen.

Now, they park just a little higher than in the images from the previous post.
    After reading the previous comments I think I will be taking it back to get it corrected.

;) Make the most and enjoy it all while you can..

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

• There is a little play in my wipers too, and I'm suspicious of part number 7 shown in the diagram. This is the rod that transmits drive from the motor to the wiper mechanism, and it has plastic parts at either end that wear over time, introducing some free play.

The reason I suspect this part is that the E34 has a very similar mechanism (although this rod is a lot shorter) and I had free play in the wipers of my 540i I owned about three years ago, causing the wipers to sometimes hit the bonnet. I was advised to replace said rod, and the old one proved to be well worn. Afterwards it was much improved, so it's worth a shot trying it on the 8. It only costs around £15 for the part, I've already bought one for mine although I haven't tried fitting it yet.

• Thanks guys, as ever, the help gained on this website is invaluable - a real community feel.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Zitat von reinhard;50404

Your mechanic will need a special torx bit for the driver´s side wiper arm

Is there a way to buy to buy this particular torx bit?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• It's a T80 torx bit, which is a mammoth torx! Don't think it's used for many things other than BMW wipers, so unlikely to be included in most socket sets. Just do a search, a few tool places sell them. Expect to pay around £10 for it.

I just noticed you're in Edinburgh same as me -- pleasant coincidence! If you want to borrow mine, drop me a PM. Never been used, I bought it about a year ago but have never got round to it. Standard 1/2" drive.

• When parked, the passenger wiper-blade is only about 5mm (at most) on top of the black plastic shield at the bottom of the windscreen.

If you look at the position of the wipers, with the bonnet open, you will see that at a certain point, with about 10mm of blade over the plastic, they are prevented from going any further as the bottom of the (passenger) wiper-arm touches the edge of the recess on the air-intake cover. At this point part of the driver's wiper-arm is already touching the other.

Therefore, the correct park position appears to be with the passenger blade just a few mm over the plastic shield part. The wipers do not / cannot completely disappear under the bonnet edge. If you take a picture of the car from a low angle, however, it can give this appearance.

Also, a badly fitted air-vent cover can prevent the wipers from parking properly.

I think the pictures from Wayne's car appear correct.

• Recently fixed the same problem on mine.

Part #16 on the schematic is a spring loaded stop which engages with the pivot lever mechanism (the part which contains part #eight when the motor reverses. This engagement pulls the wipers below the bonnet line.

Wear and tear can result in it not engaging with the pivot lever but the stop level is adjustable with a lock nut.

It can be adjusted without removing the wiper mechanism but will need small hands.

Hope this helps

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!