What a Transformation

• Over the past couple of months my car has under gone a total transformation, all the work was carried out by Gerry & Simon @ Phoenix Motorsport and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Here's a list of some of the things I've had done:

Full INS 2 Service, including all belts and a change of fuel filter (this had 1999 stamped on the filter, so just shows that the 3 different BMW dealerships it has been serviced at didnt bother to change it) :angry:
    2 x Front track control rods
    2 x M5 Upper thrust arm bushes (pic below shows M5 verses E31)
    Front CSi Anti roll bar with powerflex bushes
    2 x Rear powerflex bushes
    2 x Transmission mounts
    2 x Black Alloy tensioner pulleys
    Camber plates fitted with full KDS
    Reprogrammed ECU, now I have no printed proof from a rolling road but I have noticed quicker & smoother gear changes, better throttle response, it also increased torque, BHP & MPG
    And finally I had the wadding taken out of the two back boxes so it sounds like a V8 should.

So all in all I'm a happy bunny :driving2: :cool:

• Sounds great Wayne!

Has the handling improved much?

Did they do the reprogramming too?

What is 'wadding'?

And lastly, what are Black Alloy tensioner pulleys?

Sorry for all the questions...

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• The tensioner pulleys are made by Phoenix from anodised alloy rather than plastic which means that they have the advantage of not failing in an explosive, shattering fashion as the BMW OEM ones may do. Look for radial cracking on the inside of the plastic BMW ones, there are documented cases of them failing and taking the fan with them as they die causing amusing mayhem under the bonnet - like Wayne I opted for the alloy replacements from Phoenix, I've yet to fit them but I can tell you the construction / manufacturing quality is excellent, a first class product - just what I've happily come to expect from Phoenix!

I also had the camber plates fitted earlier this year at Phoenix, the handling improved dramatically, thoroughly recommend this tweak - M5 bushes make a big difference too.

Cheers,
    Jason

Sorry Wayne - I don't mean to hijack your thread, just getting enthusiatic about Phoenix products and services.

• No worries Jason :)

The handling has been truly transformed, I now have alot more confidence when entering corners at speed and the car is alot more precise with steering, camber plates are a MUST for any 8 series owner.

Yes, Gerry did the ECU.

Wadding is the sound insulation which is in the 2 back boxes, basically cut open the boxes take out some of the sound proof wadding, weld close and refit.
    I will try and get a sound file or video together but this is what it sounds like on a 540, if anything it sounds better on the 8 as its got 2 boxes. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M8pjaMGRPKE :)

See this link for info about the pully's
    http://www.8er.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6989

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Thanks Wayne; that youtube link has certainly whetted my appetite to get the same things done on mine...when funds allow :oops:. Can I ask how much you paid & how long it took them to do? Did you go to Camberley all the way from Swindon and leave the car there?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• The exhaust was £100 per box/side - thats as long as the boxes are in a good shape or else it would be alot more to fabricate new boxes, it does'nt take long.

Luckily Camberley is only 1hr drive from me, and yes I leave the car there, when ever I go with my 8 she's always in good company as there are other 8's there.

Wayne.

• Sorry, I wasn't clear; how much did you pay (and how long did it take) for all the work you just had done (incl the service).

thanks!

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Well I've had alot of other work done other than the things I've mentioned, such as replacing leaking cam cover gaskets, replacing a slight weeping diff input shaft seal and other things but total spent came to just over £3k in two visits, totalling about 14 days (this did include waiting for parts)
    But now I know everything is mechanically perfect and ready for my up and coming supercharger / charge cooler project :devilchilli:

Wayne.

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;51284

Wadding is the sound insulation which is in the 2 back boxes, basically cut open the boxes take out some of the sound proof wadding, weld close and refit.
    I will try and get a sound file or video together but this is what it sounds like on a 540, if anything it sounds better on the 8 as its got 2 boxes.

There is a fair bit more to the silencer mods than just removing the wadding. The mod involves a fair bit of internal metal surgery to the internal structure of the silencer and on Waynes car, there was no wadding left to remove! It had all broken up and been blown out over the years. They end up 10lbs lighter too. As usual, new hangers were required.

With this mod you end up with an OE fit, quality and appearance but with aftermarket sound and performance.

• Zitat von TallTony;51340

sounds great there Wayne. Look forward to seeing and hearing the difference at Tatton Park next weekend !

Really want to get my exhausts 'done' to, and have found a place near me that will do it - just want to hear yours first to be sure. :top:

No probs, its certainly awakened the V8 :cool:

Wayne.

• Zitat von Argonaut;51319

Hi Gerry,

can you do that mod on OEM V12 rear boxes too? (The ones with the "squarial" end pipes)

Cheers,
    Jason

Yes Jason we can. from our viewpoint it is the perfect solution for drivers who love the quality, look and fit of the stock exhaust but want a more sporting sound and less weight. The cost is favourable too.

Gerry.

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;51328

Cheers for clearing that up Gerry :top:

Wasn't trying to correct your post mate, just didn't want people thinking they could get a can opener on their rear boxes, pull out some fibreglass and job done. It's all double skinned in stainless and the internal pipework is a nightmare as it both baffles the boxes and holds them together.

If the INSIDE of the silencers are badly corroded, you are already past the point of no return once they are opened up so you MUST be prepared for new silencers in this case.

Nice when it's done tho' eh!!:harhar:

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;51271

Over the past couple of months my car has under gone a total transformation,

I have just finished most of a similar task on our M62 1998 840 ci Sport. We did the bushes a few weeks ago but used the 7 Series ones. Last weekend the rear subframe was dropped out, rust killed where it needed to be and painted with POR-15. At the same time we dealt to some very small patches of surface corrosion on the underside. But the most importand part of the exercise was to replace the diff, (Marked 2.81 on the tag that surprised me, I thought they were 2.91), with an ex M5 3.64 with LSD. Also the rear shocks were repalced with a pair of Bilsteins with a Sport setting along with a pair of Gerry's reinforcement plates. At the front we installed Gerry's camber plates and a pair of Bilsteins. Wheel alignment was done today with a new pair of tie rods. There is no doubt the suspension mods transform the handling, the tyres are more of a limitation now... The diff makes a huge difference and although I have not had a chance at a long run yet all the signs are there.

Last on the list is a dyno visit primarilly to remap and get as smooth as possible torque curve and also set the lean burn back in to the normal cruising RPM range as of course the car now revs about 4 - 500 rpm higher at 100 KPH.

Somebody once said on this site the 8 was a "lazy" driver, I can assure you the above makes it a much sharper driver.

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!