Horror in the Garage

• I have just come back from a trip and went into the garage to check on the 8 - on lifting the cover i discovered condensation inside the car to an extent which I have not seen before :ahhhhh:The interior of the car was soaked:stoned:

When I left I had just given her a run so she was nice and warm - I have just had new condenser and dryer fitted has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?:help:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• Thanks mate - suprisingly it is helpful to know other people have the same problem - a bit perverse I know but seems to settle the worries if you know what I mean.

It took about 6 towells to get all the water off the screens and I had water droplets on the seats and pilars Iwonder if anyone else is in the same predicament?

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

• You have done possibly the worst thing possible! Covering the warm car. This has caused the condensation. You need to leave the windows open about 2 or 3 inches and park her up. When the inside is the same temp as outside the car, cover it. I also pop the bonnet and boot. Allow airflow around the car.

8Tech.

• Are you sure covering a warm car is that much of a problem with a good quality breathable cover? I have often done this without -it would seem- any problems...

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Zitat von Wildatheart;56781

Are you sure covering a warm car is that much of a problem with a good quality breathable cover? I have often done this without -it would seem- any problems...

Would be ok in the summer when outside temperature is higher as its the temperature difference and humidity that makes it condensate. If everything is cold, it will not condensate.

• Zitat von Seb;56871

all of the experts whom I spoke to advised against covering your car if you plan on storing it in a garage, even if it's a breathable cover.

Out of interest, what was their reasoning?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• David to answer your questions with the cover off only lightly, the car was in the garage and covered - same conditions - but nothing like the amount i have just had. Interestingly this morning there was a light condensate inside and the car is still cold I have only turned her over.

I do not get this with anyother car and do not leave the windows open to cool when I get home from work. :top:

Could this be to do with the new condenser and dryer I have had fitted the air con is now fully charged - could the dryer not be working properly hence a saturated air coming into the cab? :dontknow:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

• Water vapour is a gas and mixes with air. Any water you can see is liquid water.
    The warmer the air, the more water it can hold in the mixture - up to about 4% - which is a lot of water.

As you drive through a cold misty atmosphere, that air and visble water mix goes through your heater and as the temperature is pushed up, the water evaporates and you get toasty "dry" air in the cabin.
    However - unless you used the air con as a drier, to condense out the water, the air contains as much water as it did when it was outside - it's just not liquid.
    What is more, we breathe out large quantities of water vapour into the cabin and tend not to have windows open in Winter to let it disperse - the quality of a vehicle's "thru'flow" ventilation plays a part here.

All is well until the temperature begins to fall when we park up, the air reaches its saturation point and the water condenses.

If there is ventilation the problem is reduced, but any kind of cover will hinder the circulation of air to some extent. Even very permeable covers can only breathe by diffusion, which is a slow and gradual process.

One trick I used to try with some success with a previous car was to open the doors for a couple of minutes before putting on the cover. Feels wrong letting in that cold "damp" air, but in reality you will let out the far more potential dampness than you 'll let in.

Sorry - years of teaching Science is hard to shake off.:roll:

• Steve,

Like you I've had a new condenser/dryer etc., etc.,
    But.........none of those wringing wet symptoms inside.....

It's stored in a garage (heated at night) and sometimes has to be put away when its still wet. Windows always closed.

Something's not right....:hmmmm:
    Hope it's not the evaporator.....:shock2:

• David - Yes I hope it's not the evap:bawling: I will set the car up as advised following an extensive warmup session;

Open the doors and let it cool.
    Open the windows one inch.
    Cover.

Look at in the morning and see if it works

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

• Try this:
    get a large bag of the "crystals"-type cat litter (preferably un-scented unless you just like the way it smells), put it in a cloth sack (ex- a small pillow case) and leave it on the dash.

The stuff is a moisture absorbing media, much like the desiccant used in electronics packaging, just larger crystals.

Regards,
    M.R.

• Hi Guys update from the weekend I removed the cover in the 'Garage' situation and left it overnight following a run and heat up, left to cool with windows 1" open -Once cool closed windows and left over night.

Saturday Morning - Condensation :hmmmm: not as bad as before - no running water on the wind screens. :ahhhhh: Dried and left. until the afternoon.

Took her out for a run and left her outside for the night - Sunday morning had to scrape the ice of the interior :shock2:

Now I don't get this with the 5 or the Range Rover with both these cars they can be as warm as you like and left outside in all weather conditions - no condensation inside :banghead::help:

Any suggestions as there is somthing not right about this

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

• That doesn't sound right.

One possibilty could be a blocked drain in the heater box. I don't know how the 8's is configured, but condensate or even just water from washing your car can collect in the bottom of the heater of some cars if the drain is blocked.

The result would be warm air evaporating this water and pushing into the cab making the air far more humid than normal, causing excess condensation.

A quick check is to see if the car is dripping water underneath with the air con working.

May be a non-starter, but guess you'd rather have too many ideas than not enough.

• Leave the car cover off,put the car in the Garage over the weekend with a household dehumidifier inside the cabin ,you will be amazed at what comes out.

Now you should be back to square one, dont cover the car for a while & I'd also bet you will be able to leave it outside with the interior iceing;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I have a suspition that this has somthing to do with the air con either the dryer or the drain - with the heater on, a high % humidity would saturate the cab once cooled = condensate!!!!!!!

Got her booked in to the mechanic this Friday so will have a look at the drain, dryer etc The idea of a dehumidifyer is a great one so will get that opperational this evening

Thanks for all your help and suggestions I will update once we have had a real good look.

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!