V12 dist cap/rotor

• Just a warning/advice...
    In the process of trying to sort out my recent stalling/flooding/non-starting problem (after leaving it standing outside for the past 6 weeks), decided to follow advice in a previous thread, and have a look at the distributor caps and rotor arms for any signs of pitting/corrosion/arcing.

What I found inside truly surprised me. They were all in shockingly bad condition !! This is on a car that has only done 44k miles, although it probably has spent some periods standing prior to my ownership.
    See the photos below.
    Pic 1 is of one of the dist caps as it came out of the car. Bit out of focus but I think you can still see the condensation, carbon, general "muck", badly pitted contacts (some of them with green corrosion on top).Less clear were the signs of "tracking", probably through the condensation/carbon.
    Pic 2 is of one of the rotor arms showing pitting, carbon deposits and corrosion plus what seems to be considerable erosion of what should be the amount of metal there.
    Pic 3 is of the other dist cap after the condensation/muck had been wiped out of it, showing clear signs of past tracking/arcing.

Probably this deterioration has been there for some time, and the recent standing has just aggravated it.
    Frankly, I'm amazed it was running as well it was prior to the recent problems. Could well be the reason for my suspicion that the car was down on power...

Checked the rubber seals for the dist caps and they were both in good conditition, and yet the condensation/damp was still able to form in there.

Well worth a check on the V12, even if you are not presently having any problems.

• Martin I changed mine last year and both where also in a terrible state even worse than yours and to top it all they where date stamped 1991. Could they be the original ones:hmmmm::hmmmm: My car has dealer history so yet another example if the poor service from the stealers:banghead:

It ran like a dream once they were renewed:top:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Lloyd,
    Now you mention it, as you can see in the 3rd photo, mine are dated '94.
    The originals on my '95 car. And obviously never changed .....

BTW, whilst also changing the plugs (badly sooted and they've only done 8k miles) found a torn/broken ignition cable (near the join with the plug cap) nobody had spotted before. From the look of it happened quite some time back. Surprisingly, the attached plug had been firing !

• Well, got the new caps and rotors today.
    As it happens, the new rotors don't actually have as much metal on the contact face as I expected.
    Fitted them together with the new plugs.
    Turn the key - started first time :) (it was a complete non-starter previously).
    Took it for a run and feels smoother and (dare I say it) more powerful.
    And I haven't even changed the broken plug cap yet !

I'll be checking caps, rotors and plugs regularly from now on .......

• I changed mine last year and they where worse than yours.
    I also changed the plug leads and the coils.

Expect much better MPG now.
    And I would reccomend changing the plug leads too.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Chaps, did you get the caps/rotors from BMW? They look pricey on realoem etc....? I bought used HT leads from eBay as they were an absolute fortune OEM, can you get aftermarket leads? You're probably all feeling sorry for me and thinking of sending me a food parcel for xmas :grin2:

• Used plug leads!! That really is risky, not because they may not be good now but how long will they last? Magnecor have a choice of 3 lead sets for the 850, better than OEM 7mm, high performance 8mm and race spec 8.5mm, all cheaper than OEM and all warranted for 10 years.

German and Swedish (GSF car parts) have the caps and rotors at a good price as they are the same as a 325i.

• Nick,
    Got my caps and rotors (and the plugs) from Eurocarparts.
    £96 for 2x caps and rotors and £22 for the plugs.

If you're worried about the caps and rotors being non-original - don't be.
    Although for these Euro did not list the brand (unusual, as they do for most parts), when they arrived, they were Bremi brand. Exactly the same as my originals.
    And the caps even come with the plastic outer cover and the fixing bolts (look exactly like the originals).

They have an internet site where you can check prices, choice of brand and availability.
    They also have a lot of local shops in UK (same prices and they probably have a shop near you) where you can order and inspect the parts in person when they arrive. No delivery charge. Don't like them - no problem, they just send them back to the central warehouse.
    Better than paying for return delivery for unwanted items off most Internet sites.......
    No connection etc etc

• Zitat von NickF;57532

Great thanks. I saw the 8mm ones on europerformance.co.uk for £177.95 is that any good?

I can beat that price. And I have them in stock. They will have at least a 14 day lead time.

• I concurr with that. Euro car Parts are another good supplier of these parts.

• Thanks chaps. I have a euro car parts very close to work so I'll check it out at lunchtime (assuming they're open today). 8Tech - I'll go for a set of leads from you, let me know how much to pay you. Cheers, Nick

• I expect someone far more knowledgeable about such things will be along in a minute to give you a proper answer Fuzzi, just a layman's view though, the increase in diameter will give a significant increase in overall internal surface area - maybe that means significantly more conductivity? Just guessing..

• .....meanwhile (while we're waiting for that knowledgable answer) - on their website, Magnecor have some good descriptions and pics in their product information and other good stuff on their Q&A.
    Seems like there is a difference in internal construction between the 7mm and 8mm ? and the 8.5 & 10mm have thicker insulation for high-heat applications ? ...

• yep - found an answer on the magnecor website:

Zitat

If you don't intend to upgrade your vehicle's original ignition with a high-output ignition, you may not need larger size wires. Magnecor KV85 and R-100 Race Wires have been designed primarily for race engines that will be run with high-output ignition systems, and contain high-capacity 2.5mm conductors that require extra insulation when used with extreme-output ignition systems. Magnecor Race Wires will also be exposed to heat an unmodified production vehicle will never experience. However, the major advantage Magnecor Race Wires have over conventional 5mm, 7mm and 8mm wires is that neither the high-capacity conductor nor the insulating jacket will wear out during the life of the engine.

also, this is an interesting (albeit trivial) statement about horsepower-gain:

Zitat

Despite what is published in advertisements and some vested interest magazine articles, no spark plug wires will generate or "install" additional horsepower. However, a decrease in horsepower will occur if the wires' conductors fail to conduct the spark energy needed to fire spark plug gaps, or EMI emitted from spark plug wires causes the engine management computer to react abnormally, or so much spark energy is lost into the ground straps of so-called "built-in capacitor" wires that little is left to fire the spark plug gaps see test in Circle Track Magazine (USA), May, 1996 issue. For these reasons, Magnecor Race Wires are used by many successful race teams and individuals all over the world to eliminate the risk of such events occurring.

so, as far as my standard engine is concerned: the 8mm will yield no gain, whatsoever.

Leaves one question: What's the average life span of OEM plug wires?

• There are the other factors of course...
    Price and Guarantee.
    Realoem price is $800ish, bmwfans E400ish (and those prices are usually out of date).
    Don't know what BM gives as a guarantee on ignition cables, but I doubt if its 10 yrs.
    I think I'll be going for Magnecor when I get round to it ....

• Well as an electrician I can only say that the bigger the wire, the less the internal resistance is.
    Put short, that is why a thin wire will burn off/melt the insulation if the power is high enough.

An old wire will have some degree of corrosion to it no matter what.
    This again increases the resistance.
    resulting in a weaker spark, causing an poorer combustion, poorer consumption and sot to form on the valves.

I replaced my wires last year with new "oem", BMW dont have tham made anymore, but the ones I got was from the same vendor that made them for BMW, acutally bougt them from Gault in NY, and BMW dealer.

My car then got a better idle, the consumption dropped, and the engine responded better and felt more powerful.
    I did also replace the coils and the rotors/distributor caps and installed new 4 electrode spark plugs at the same time.
    All the parts I replaced where 17 years old at the time (exept for the plugs).

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!