So what's so great about an 8 anyway?

• This is a slight variation on the various "why I bought my 8" threads but a little in a similar vein.
    The question is really apart from the obvious factor of owning one of the finest cars ever built, what else is there that makes owning an 8 something enjoyable?

Some of the factors I would include would be the true hobby aspect of having such a car, it's far more than just a means of transport. I'd also add the fun aspect of talking to like minded people on various fora, swapping experiences and suggestions.

What else is there?

• I had wanted one for years when I got mine.
    When I first saw it it became a dream car, It was up there with Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari's, Aston Martin's and the likes of "supercars".
    My problem when it became within my budget range was that is really was an old car so I kind of let it go.... leave it as the dreamcar.

My situation changed a while back, I totalled my old car in Germany and I was looking for a new job at the time.
    I called up a friend who is a car salesman to ask about transport for my wrecked car from Germany if needed,as I was not sure the isurance would cover the wreck, and they imported cars from Germany and had contacts.

He then tells me that "I have the perfect car for you, A Hartge tuned 850 from 1990"
    I had pretty much set my sights on an e46 coupe at the time, but I went down to have a look at it.
    The insurance covered my wreck, and I landed a really well paid job, so I bought the 850, realizing a long time dream.

So what is it about the 8-series?
    The supercar looks, the massive V12 engine, not to mention the way other people look atyou when you drive by, it's not something you see that often.

I guess I love owning a truly special car, a one time series, and not that many was buildt. Look at the E46 M3, there where almost 45.000 buildt just for the US marked, and about 30.000 8's where ever buildt.

I think pulling up in a nice looking 8, is just as good as pulling up in a Ferrari. But the 8 is not as flashy or bold, it's just stylish, and most people don't know what it is.

I have spent hours talking to people at p-lots and such about my car.
    Most have no idea what it is, but they are curious as to what car it is, and when I tell them its 18 years old they just look strangely at me and just can't believe thet the car is that old.

I don't know what attracts me about the 8, I guess its the whole package, and the feeling of owning something really special.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Noggie;59124

I think pulling up in a nice looking 8, is just as good as pulling up in a Ferrari. But the 8 is not as flashy or bold, it's just stylish, and most people don't know what it is.

I have spent hours talking to people at p-lots and such about my car.
    Most have no idea what it is, but they are curious as to what car it is, and when I tell them its 18 years old they just look strangely at me and just can't believe thet the car is that old.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• I loved the shape ever since I first saw a pic from an Earls Court advert back in 1995.

I know that whenever as a lad I drew a car it was the same "bullet" shape as the 8 Series.

My earliest performance cars were Lotus Elans and Elan +2...bullet shape !!!
    Great but unreliable (LOTUS = Lots of Trouble Usually Serious).

As soon as I retired, a lot of years later, the first thing I did was scour the country befeore buying my current 840CI.

My worry was that my dream car might turn out to be a disappointment as these dream things so often are..."never meet your heros" !!!!!
    However it has turned out to be more than I hoped for, and I love it now more than I did when I bought it.

I often just sit and look at it ....what a sad git !!!

If I ever designed my dream car, and added some of the" must have" attributes then an 8 Series would be the result.

Great motoring fellow sad people:top:

• I can reflect on a lot of the stories here. Like many of you, I was seduced at the age of 15 when I first clapped eyes on the 'all new' 8 series. I had never really seen one in the flesh until I hit my 20's and thought to myself that one day I will treat myself. I recall being in an underground car park and hearing a roar resonating through the building, turning to see an 850 drive by. My family always steered me away from buying a car as impractical as this. One day, my father borrowed my very dull and boring E39 diesel and wrecked it in a crash. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt but the car was beyond economical repair.

I thought I would treat myself to that child hood dream and spent a good 6 months+ tracking a good V12 one down - boy a hard task! There were so many neglected and untastefully 'modified' that just would not pass my standard. My wife was convinced that I was making a huge mistake and that I should not buy a car so old. I tracked a good one down and bought it from a main dealer who had taken it in PX for a new 7 series. As soon as my wife saw it and drove it she retracted everything she said before.

The 8 is such a rare sight and attracts so much attention on the road. There are around 4 (inc 840's) in my area that I know of. It turns so many heads (even that of the younger generations) and sparks off so many conversations with friends and public alike. I cant think of a better and more exclusive GT for the money. I even see drivers of 'new' BMW's do a double take and some passers giving me the thumbs up. The ultimate ego booster is having notes occasionally left on the windscreen asking if I will sell.

For me it had to be the V12. I knew if I had settled for a V8 I would have always thought 'what if...' and 'if only....' so the mighty 12 it was. It really is a robust engine and performs well and is not too difficult to work on.

• ditto to every word above. my first 8 died from a failed waterpump.
    I still own it, cant sell it. while trying to buy a motor to replace the one I damaged I found the koenig ks8, on ebay, advertised as koneig (spelt wrong) I was the only bidder and got it for a song.
    I take it to the hand car wash every week. the car wash boss gives me half price discount, so my car can be seen on his forcourt.
    trouble is I must have spelt it the same way to find it on ebay.
    must be fate,
    I love every second of driving my 8.
    Iv'e owned the ks8 for 20 months it's been featured in bmw performance mag 2008 + nec autosports/ pistonheads show 2009.
    theres lots of work to do to it but perhaps thats what makes me love it.

• I'm with Noggie and HD Seduced at 15 and wanted one ever since!!! as I got older I found that I had some spare cash looked long and hard, took the restoration road and bought one - my joy is in the restoration to get it back to origional, and it is getting there.

It had to be a 12 I have the v8 in my 5 series so I did not want another, the looks and comments I get do make my ego go up and it's great knowing that I own a rare and stunning car - yes I do sometimes just look at it and think what an absolute corker, I have a picture as a screen saver on my laptop how sad is that :cool:

It's fun being able to talk to like minded folks who have the same afliction as me and I have learned a tremedous amount by just reading the threads and relating to the same problems, fixing them and getting an improvement how ever slight.

What a car what a hobbie - love it :top:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• I'm probably younger than most, I was born in 84 and bought my 850CSi in 2007. I remember seeing advertisements for the BMW range in the early 90's in the newspaper in New Zealand and thinking the 8 is the best so I'd like one. I've always admired the shape and rarity, only ever seen about 5 on New Zealand roads in my life.

In 2005 I started looking for one and like others that have posted, it had to be a V12. I know that a 4.4 v8 is just as good as a 4 speed auto V12, but I think that if I get a V8, why not just buy a 540 or 740 instead? I drove 2 V12's, one a 1991 New Zealand new (they sold 52 here) and a 1993 Singapore import, both had the 4 speed auto and I must say I was disappointed. Primarily due to gearing, the gears are simply way too far apart and up to 50kmh a normal 1.8l sedan would be able to keep up.

I largely gave up for a while, telling a few friends in the UK to look out for a manual one for me. I found a few LHD ones but to get an E31 into New Zealand it had to be RHD and have dual airbags. I didn't find this site until after I bought mine which I now regret because it has a bit of rust in it and needs a lot of work done. It is still off the road at the moment waiting for a new exhaust system, various AHK and rear suspension components to be replaced.

Anyway, it is a 1 off Techno Violet 850CSi with Lotus White interior and everytime I look at it I fall in love all over again, even though it has cost me a years wages and I've only driven it up and down the street 3 times in all the time I've owned it. It will be restored one day though and I'm really looking forward to it.

The only other car I would consider as a suitable replacement would be a Ferrari 456, same V12 + 6 speed manual gearbox setup but with a little bit more power and speed.

• Zitat von bradc;59227

Anyway, it is a 1 off Techno Violet 850CSi with Lotus White interior

Hi Brad, sorry to read your car is still not fixed :(

Sorry to be off-topic, but if I'm not mistaken your car is Daytona Violet. I was told mine was the only CSi in TechnoViolett. ;)

Regarding "why I bought my 8", I have always been a BMW fan. when I was about 12, my father was a BMW seller and my favorite car was the E30 M3.

He came home one night and told me that an "8 Series" was about to be launched. I had no idea what it could be like. He explained me that it was a new sports coupé with a front reminding the M1, wheel arches like the E30 M3 and a rear like an E34 5 series. I thought "wow, I gotta see it!".

When it was released, I fell in love with it instantly. I was lucky to realize my dream and buy an 850CSi about 2 years ago.

Regards,

• I thought I would take this to the top as I had an experience this weekend whilst driving my 8. I was in Gerards Cross in Bucks, and there were the usual RR Sports, Ferarri's and Astons, however as I turned a street corner I saw two teenagers, one with a huge smile on his face and the other with his jaw on the ground both staring at the 8. Also the looks the car got from an XJ and an XK8 owner at the petrol pump were great. For the amount of money and the fact they are so rare and you get so much car (especially when it goes wrong) it is just priceless. Anyone who has an 8, has a piece of BMW and automotive history and I believe that for the same amount of money you cannot buy something that performs and looks so good. :driver:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!