Headunit Recommendations

• Hi - I Have a notion to upgrade the stereo / headunit on my car. Sound is OK but I know it can be better. I've searched on here and read a few posts but they are a bit dated.

Not sure of budget or what I want but not to 'blingy' (no Blue LED's - ideally bmw orange or understated) - Ipod connectivity would be good, TV/DVD/SAT NAV would be great (don't mind the flip up thing). I listen to the radio lots - Is DAB a realistic option nowadays ? Is TV a real option in car in the UK ? Is there something that gives me it all ?

Obvioulsy I'll be doing some on-line research but thought I'd get fellow 8ers thoughts as well. :top:
    Thanks in Advance
    GARC

• I'm also about to do the same & was impressed with Martins "Becker" Indianaoplis, certainly looks the part but don't know much else:grin2:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• The BMW/Becker Indianapolis is a good choice. Excellent audio quality and radio tuner, mp3 support, navigation in Europe,... and it looks OEM. But it's got a positive display - black text on an BMW orange background whereas the rest of the car is negative (BMW orange text on a black background). If you're not shy of some fine soldering jobs, you can attempt my own Indianapolis mod... Becker/BMW Radio Navigation Indianapolis display mod II

• I too am looking at a possible upgrade, so please keep this thread updated with ideas. Hoping to pick up the car from Phoenix this weekend and will start looking at possible solutions.

• Hi
    The BMW Business CD (CD43) is a good upgrade, you get stock look (far better that any aftermarket flashy light thing) with better sound than the Business Tape and it is only a 5 minute job to fit it!

You will loose your CD changer as it will only operate a Changer PI, not the Changer P fitted to the 8's. I have actually fitted the PI and rewired my car to suit that install.

Best of all though the The BMW Business CD (CD43) can be connected to an I-pod using a Dice silverline unit from Dice in America. You need to get the one for an E36 / Z3 radio interface version - not the boot interface as you don't have the right cabling. You will need to add an I-bus cable to pin 7 on your stereo connector block - these are available from BMW for not much. I am considering this option next, thought the ash tray would be a good place to mount the i-pod

Have a look at this link
    http://www.europeanautosource.…info.php?products_id=1632

Excuse the dust on my stereo!

Dateien

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• Hi Ron

Thanks for the purchase.

Hands free kit is a Bury CC9060, very nice piece of kit and matched the interior a treat.

Part numbers for PI changer cable is :-
    65.12.8.383.855, it is from a 7 series, so is about 2 feet too long i just curled it up.
    61.13.6.902.124 - I-bus lead.

You need to make up the power lead to the changer, but you have to buy 10 connectors each from BMW so it gets a bit expensive, plus the crimps and wires, I have these connectors and wires and can make up the lead if you want.

Ring me if you want any other info, or need any help with the install.

• hi rob! im interested in one of your CD43 units...just popped onto 3bay and i see a couple for £130 and a few for £180...which one do i need?

cheers,

Ben.

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• Zitat von Radron;64648

Hi Rob

I think I'm going to loose the boot changer and reclaime the space in the boot and go with the ipod connection and single din cd.

Ron
    By getting rid of the boot changer won't give you any more space as the changer sits behind the side panels,even cars without the changer have the same panels but in place of the Cd unit instead have a small tray;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von stevep840;64702

Ron
    By getting rid of the boot changer won't give you any more space as the changer sits behind the side panels,even cars without the changer have the same panels but in place of the Cd unit instead have a small tray;-)

this is not so ;) check http://www.wuffer.net

• Showing off the panel of one of Wuffer´s cars is a little like cheating :D
    Those panels were only ever available for Japanese (J-spec) cars and try as you might - the part number leaves you empty handed.

The cubby hole also is only useful in theory as everything that you put in there will not remain there unless you devise a method to fasten it down.

I´d rather have my CD changer in said spot - it is nothing less than annoying the way Japanese BMW honchos decided to have it...

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!