Tyres recommendation please

• Try Costco, they usually have Pilot 1's in stock and at a the cheapest prices available.

Failing that I would go with the 2's. I have 1's all round on my car and cannot fault them. I think the general consensus is that they are expensive yes, but really are great tyres.

I found a good deal in Costco lask week for 2 Michelin Pilot 1's at 285/35/18, so hopefully they stock the size you are after aswell.

• What's the reason for the Pilot 2's over the 1's?

If that is the case maybe I will go for the 2's aswell. Although I'm pretty sure Costco didn't have Pilot 2's in 285/35/18.

I will have to have a hunt around.

• V-Pattern Treads

Just a thought.....

My experience FWIW.....

Some time back I had Goodyear F1's (V-Tread) on front & Pirelli P-Zeros (in-line tread) on Back (don't ask why).
    I found the handling absolutely dire....car was twitchy, wandered, tramlining....just hard work to drive.
    Got rid of old Pirellis....then F1's all round...a bit better - not wonderful. Convinced myself that it was just a characteristic of the car.

They wore out....went mad took a gamble and spent a lot on Michelin PS2s all round.....phenomenal difference.

Car now runs straight as a die....just could not believe the difference...quieter as well.
    Mind you....Phoenix had a big helping input with poly bushes/camber kit:top:

Absolutely brilliant now.

Good luck!

I see you're only about 20 miles NW of me (Maresfield, E. Sussex) - if you want to take a spin in my 8 to see what it's like - PM me.

• I run PS2 front, PS1 rear on my Mercedes for now. It gives the car a bit of front bias more in terms of grip and braking. Eventually, I will go all PS2 all around. It is fine though, as the setup predisposes to LESS understeer, given the sheer grip of the PS2s.

The PS2 does not come in a 285/35-18. It does come in a 295/35-18, IIRC, but that tire does not safely fit on a 9.5in wide wheel.

I run PS2s on my E31 as well (255F/285R) as summer (19in) tires, while I run Bridgestone S01s as winter/city/bad road tires on 17in wheels.

• I have PS 2 on both my cars and will not get a different tire before Michelin releases a new PS tire.

I stay away from V pattern tires as they generate more noise.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• If they don't do 285/35/18 in PS2, then what is my best option for replacing my rears that can be done in a straight swap with no modifications needed?

Or should I just stick with the PS1?

Thanks

• Hi I'm sure that a 295 would go on a 9.5 rim but the footprint would not be the same. I cant see that it would make a considerable difference IMHO but overtired cars have greater rolling resistance and it may also rub against your arches.

I would stick with the 1s. If you dont have them currently, I do and they are excellent tyres and IMO the best looking make the car look very agressive.

• Few weeks ago I had FALKEN 452's installed in my CSi, in 245/40/18 F and 285/35/18 R (BTW in original 18" Alpinas:harhar:) and so far I'm very pleased with. But i've only done 1500Km since, so cannot say nothing about how will wear yet...:dontknow:

• Zitat von BLANGS;64838

Frankly, after being quoted £350 around for tyre supply only (Falken 452) , are the PS1's really worth £280 each?

I've kept very quite deliberately in this discussion for a very good reason.

All of you folks out there know full well that there are alternative brands of tyre out there but like sheep you go back to the old familiar leading brands debating how cheap you get a PS1 or whatever:laugh:

Well if this rocks your boat then go for it but I whole heart idly have to side with Blangs I've had Falkens for 2 years now & can't fault them but on these type of forum the snobs turn their noses skywards preferring to debate the accolades of the leading brands & no other:hmmmm:

This is obviously my opinion but backed up by other well advised users.

Each to their own ,& all that:winkwink:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!