Tyres recommendation please

• I have Falkens on my Rangey and had them on my 300zxTT and they are also very very good, and they cost the same as two front michelins. For normal road driving and track they are absolutely great. My car arrived with Michelins so I'm going to keep the 4 tires the same, also I live 3/4 of a mile down a mettled bridleway so am happy to go with the reinforced michelins. But thats the beauty of choice! Each to their own :)

• Zitat von Radron;64813

Hi I'm sure that a 295 would go on a 9.5 rim but the footprint would not be the same. I cant see that it would make a considerable difference IMHO but overtired cars have greater rolling resistance and it may also rub against your arches.

I would stick with the 1s. If you dont have them currently, I do and they are excellent tyres and IMO the best looking make the car look very agressive.

No, it does not safely fit. I would know, I have tried it.

The seat of the bead is not perfect. It is visibly fine, but it is actually at the limit of the thread's adhesion on the (for the size) narrow rim. This manifests while driving under any form of strain as the tire collectively "slipping" on the rim. The car will shake back and forth as the tire attempts a reseal (which it eventually does).

The PS2 is another league/category of tire above the PS1 in terms of performance...but if you buy tires for the "aggressive look" it probably is the wrong tire for you. :dontknow:

On topic, why not just run a 275 rear? A 275 PS2 WILL outperform a 285 PS1 tire. I know, I have both. PS1s WERE great tires and WERE worth the cost many many years ago when they were still new(ish). Now they are an old design.

• Not a bad idea. I will look into getting 275 PS2's for the car then. Although it will be a shame to downsize slightly as I love the look of them from behind. Although I doubt I would notice any difference.

Can I run 275 PS2's with my 235/40/18 fronts until I get around to changing those to PS2's aswell withought any problems? At least off the top of my head I think they are 235's on the front, maybe they are 245's I will have to double check.

• 235 or 245 will go on the front no probs with a 275 rear.

Thats the great thing about owners clubs! I bought some ps2 reinforced fronts and still have the ps1 rears although I dont think it will be long before I need to change them.

Is it likely that Michelin will be doing a 285 rear? or have they discontinued that size?

• Zitat von sparklesmcgraw;65005

Not a bad idea. I will look into getting 275 PS2's for the car then. Although it will be a shame to downsize slightly as I love the look of them from behind. Although I doubt I would notice any difference.

Can I run 275 PS2's with my 235/40/18 fronts until I get around to changing those to PS2's aswell withought any problems? At least off the top of my head I think they are 235's on the front, maybe they are 245's I will have to double check.

Yes. It will just fine. The height works out to be fine F/R.

Make sure the weight/load rating is correct for your tire.

235/40-18 or 245/40-18 (ideal)
    275/35-18

• What tyre pressures are you chaps running on these sizes of tyres? (245/40-18 and 275/35-1 8). I've heard the book pressures are too low for lower profile tyres like these?

Costco have just sent out new vouchers. 20% off 4 Michelins, runs between 8th June and 5th July.

• I am looking at Michelin 245's online just now and there are around 4-5 different versions for the same sized tyre?

Can anyone shed any light on the differences between:

245/40 ZR18 97Y EL with rim protection ridge, RR * = £181.50

245/40 ZR18 93Y with rim protection ridge, RR * = £186.00

245/40 R18 93Y with rim protection ridge, M0, RR * = £187.10

245/40 R18 93Y with rim protection ridge, *, RRBL * = £191.20

???

• Well I just got back from Costco having orderd 4 new tyres under their 20% off deal.

Have ordered:

2 x 275/35/18
    2 x 245/40/18

Total cost including fitting and discount comes to £782.14

Very good price IMO, could not be found cheaper elsewhere! BMW tried to charge me £720 just for the 2 rears!

I will report back once they are fitted to let you know if I feel any difference between the PS1's that are on her just now. If the handling gets any better than it is now, then I will be amazed :)

Thanks for all the help and advice to help get such a good deal.

Fraser:winkwink:

• Glad to hear that you've been sorted out. I have an exact same set in my garage (long story) that I'm going to have fitted this weekend. If anyone wants part worn Dunlops (1 rear, 2 fronts, same size as above) let me know.

• All this thought on new tyres got me wondering?

As I have 18" M parallels, what sizes of tyre will fit these alloys? I used to always think that one size of alloy could only fit one size of tyre?

So what would the min/max range be for my alloys. Bearing in mind that they are different sixes front and back. I am not actually sure what size the alloys are, do they come in a standard staggered size?

Apologies for the relentless questioning but I am just curious and am new to this tyre talk. Am want to make 100% sure that the new tyres will fit the alloys perfectly. Also, what is the correct load rating for the car? My rear tyres have 97 on them just now?

Thanks! :winkwink:

• BMW M-Parallel OEM Alloy Wheels

Here's some info............

These M-Parallels were offered as optional fit on the 850CSi.

WHEELS
    Front Wheels are 8x18 with ET of 13mm - BMW Part# 36112227631
    Rear Wheels are 9.5x18 with ET of 25mm - BMW Part# 36112227633

TYRES
    The proper tire dimensions are: 245/40-18 front and 285/35-18 rear you can also use 275/35-18 on the rear

• just bought 2 new rears for mine...certainly not cheap but by far and away the best tyre out there imho...re wear rate, grip and noise levels.

The quality of the michelin pilot sport rubber compound is far far superior to that of most other brands...hence the price. Its not simply a brand thing.

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• I have Continental SportContact 3 on mine, great tyre, around £190 each which is a little less than the Mitchelin but comparable in quality IMO

------------------------------------------
    BMW 840ci Sport Invididual 1997
    Land Rover Freelander HSE Td4 2004
    Maserati Shamal 1996

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!