Supercharger install

• OK, just to clearify the reason for my issues.

Johns kit is designed for a stock M70, 300hp motor.
    Marcos car runs like clockwork, so does the car that is modified in Kuwait.

My car is Hartge tuned and has diferent camshafts DME's and EML than stock. thus sporting 354hp prior to the SC install.

The problems I have are related to my camshafts and the changes made by Hartge to my cars engine control system.

A stock car would NOT have the issues that I have, they are unique to my car due to my non-stock setup.

So the engine mapping need to be custom done for my car, not so simple when the car is in Norway, and John is in the US.

We will make this work, we just need time.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• The engine should be run rich, this for cooling raisons, but of course not to rich.
    Doesn't it drive at all Egil?
    It takes a while for the dme's to adjust....(perhaps taking the pluspool from the batteries off for a night?)

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• noggie, I am truly sorry to hear about that.

But to give my two cents worth of thought:
    With your more aggressive cam setup, your car should run lean, if it would run with a wrong ratio. The reason being is that your cam setup allows more air into the engine (at higher rpm). So, I would understand some very rough idle, but not any rich ratio when over 2000rpm.

On another note, aggressive cams do alter the air intake, but not to the point, where another programming would render the car unusable.

Maybe, it's other changes from Hardge (or some defect) that does that.

Let's try to wrap our head around this:

Sympton: Your car's running rich and the DMEs and EML works.
    Possible faults:
    1. Bad massflow sensor(s) (or badly connected)
    2. Bad oxygen sensor(s) (or badly connected)
    3. Fuel pressure too high.

And.. I have my money on number 3!
    Try to measure your fuel pressure, if you want to. It should be at 3bar (the procedure is described in the repair handbook).

If you have significant high fuel pressure (say at 5bar) then it will run incredibly rich and behave as you have described. It's just very, very easy to mistakenly destroy or at least alter the fuel pressure regulator or the tank vents when working intensly on such a project.

But again,
    just my two cents.

Don't give up!

• right now i'm avearging 30+l/100km... so I'd say a bit rich yes.

the car runns pretty normalup to 3000rpm.
    I have seen 9l/100km when doing 90kh on the motorway.

But as soon as I hit 3000 she will not run, the car shakes and the engine looses all power, this is at full trottle.
    at 3500 she completely stops a full throttle, and thick black smoke comes out the back. (now I'm using about 40l/100km)
    by letting off the throttle I can eas it past 3500, but at about 4200 sh hits another trouble area.
    If I can get her to 5000, I can floor it and she takes off like a plane... for a few seconds, then she shifts and hits trouble area again.

Massflow sensors are checked, but I can check again.
    O2 sensors where replaced 15.000km ago, should be fine.
    Fuel pressure... could check, how to regulate?
    have any other specific tips regarding the fuel system and fuel rails tha I can check?

The kit also includes new larger injectors, so more fuel can be added.
    This is compensated for in the DME's.

John has one more trick up his sleve I will know tomorrow.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• The cams will not make a difference to the fuel ratio as the air intake is measured by mass air flow. Put the stock injectors back in for now or reduce fuel delivery by lowering the fuel pressure. At high rpm and full boost the very rich mixture will still burn, hence its ok until you shift and the revs drop.

8Tech.

• WOW... I just checked the price for the 3 bar fuel regulators.
    they are about 250 euros each!!!!!!

could try with the stock injectors, I have thought about that too.

Is there a way to adjust the fuel pressure?

I'll have a talk with John today and we'll make a plan on what to do.

Right now I wish I had a stock 850 to start with.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I don´t know what system told you 250 EUR per pressure regulator. My list has them for 70 EUR each plus taxes which still is not cheap considering it being just a small tin :lol:

The BMW part number is imprinted on the regulator, see here:

This should allow you to compare it with the OEM parts number to see whether it is different or not.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• I will check PNR when I go to the garage tomorrow.
    (my garage is 15km away from my house)

as for the part price.
    A BMW licenced webshop (oem parts) quotes the 3 bar pressure regulator BMW pnr 13531715685 for cars up to 1/92 at 2,242.00NOK, which is 249.433 Euros today.
    Real OEM quotes this at $326.97 too.

Not the same part as your pictured 1353 17 21548 regulator.

In my line of work Tony, we say "Hard is easy, Impossible just takes a bit longer"

I do know of one soulution though, get a Haltec or megasquirt or something like that and completely remove the stock injection and engine control system.... but that would probably cost me more than 4000 euros to do.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I was thinking about this earlier today. One option is as you say to get the fuelling map completely custom made for your engine/SC set up. I don't know how straight-forward this would be for your M70 or even if it's possible to re-programme the ECU's. In addition to your after-market options you might also think about Emerald - fully programmable and relatively straightforward but even so, still complicated to do it this way.

• I was Quoted Circa £1500 for a bespoke "Live remap" carried out by a Ex F1 engineer, I don't think your going to need this as I'm sure John will come up with a plan:top:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• ok, I went to the garage anyway today.

My Regulators say 3.0 Bar pnr 0 280 160 500.
    No BMW markings on it so I doubt they are OEM.

As for prices, you have to remember that I live in Norway, the motherland of taxes.
    I.e a the BMW shop charges over £100 pr hour.
    everything has a 25% VAT.
    Then there are import taxes on goods.

A new 850 was about £150.000 when new.
    the current M5 is £220.000 new
    The new stripped M3 starts at £130.000.

so whatever deals you would get where you live, double it and thats probably close to what I'll have to pay.

I spoke to a good BMW tuner today, and he said I would have to expect about 30.000nok to get a new injection system, and mapped.
    That is about £3000
    He also thought that was my only chance of a well functioning setup.
    And he would have done tha to such a special car and engine, and get it 100%.

So I'm currently counting on Johns expertise t come through.
    But it's not easy with John in the US and the car in Norway.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Egil, sounds like you're having a nightmare. If it's any consolation UK dealer service rates are also over £100ph but your new car prices are crazy! Have you thought about a coup? ;)

I'm sure a breaker would have oem regulators cheaply and I guess they'd be the same as the e32 so should be relatively plentiful. I can foreward anything you find in the UK.

• well, maybe not a nightmare..... things are just a bit difficult at the moment.

I did offer the more excotic BMWs prices.
    I was looking at ordering a brand new 320ci 2 years ago.
    After I had made the car I wanted, you know, all the options I needed the grand total was just over £50.000, if I wanted a 325ci, ad another £20.000.

Wonder whymost Norwegian BMWs are 316 and 318's....??

I need to wait for John to come up with the next step.
    Hopefully it's a silly thing.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• well then.. you've still got too much fuel. So it's either the fuel pressure (there may be various sources for excessive fuel pressure or your sensors (massflow, lambda) or the DME chips.

I'm sure you'll figure it out!

We're here for you to give you idiotic advice whenever you seem to need any ;)

• Is there a difference in smoke of any exhaust Egil?

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• Fuzz..... you guys will only end up costing me a lot of money buying parts that perhaps will make things better :kiss:

Dick, no the smoke is the same from all pipes.

I'll place my faith in John, but it the car is not running by winter time, I'll get a new injection system

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!