Almost made me cry

• Time for an update.... The insurance company have valued my car at £4,500 which i was happy with, I was expecting £3k. However, they have CAT C'd it and still want 35% of the value to buy the car back, gulp. Bottom line is after excess i'm getting the car plus a cheque for a couple of grand. Could be worse. Should have the car back Mon/Tues, that's when the real fun starts.

• Well mate as long as the work can be done for the money no doubt the car will be better than before. Although I hadn't seen it before:grin2:. What will being a CAT C do to its resale? Although £4.5k doesn't sound to bad looking at whats out there, although I would not sell mine for that:naughty:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Hi Lloyd, CAT C will hurt resale but i'm not sure how much on a car like this. I'll take lots of photos and prove that the damage wasn't too bad. It doesn't matter to me anyway as I won't be selling.

• However, they have CAT C'd it

Hi Nick,

What does that actually mean? To what degree did they inspect the damage to ascertain the level of damage and therefore value? Is the valuation of £4500 as if it was in mint condition?

• Zitat von Nifty50;69875

To what degree did they inspect the damage to ascertain the level of damage and therefore value?

Cat C if the repair cost exceeds 50% of the value of the vehicle (over 3 years old)

• The pics of the damage look horrible, but I have nothing but admiration for your determination to get her back on the road, and I hope you do, good luck. :top:

• Zitat von NickF;70039

Got the car back today....the scale of the job is starting to give me the hebejeebies.

Look at that lovely rust!

Don't worry Nick, once you strip off the knackered bits and start looking at cleaning up and preparing for replacement parts to be fitted the job won't look anywhere near as bad. The rust is a nasty surprise and at least now you've got a chance to kill the rust and make the car better than before. Go for it and don't be discouraged, the end result will be worth it.

• What a sorry sight, I feel for you fella but I'd take their £4.5K & get a new one, a bit of cash on top & your then into much newer & lower mileage 8s, unless that damage is repaired to the best standard I can't see you being happy with it;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von stevep840;70042

What a sorry sight, I feel for you fella but I'd take their £4.5K & get a new one, a bit of cash on top & your then into much newer & lower mileage 8s, unless that damage is repaired to the best standard I can't see you being happy with it;-)

Steve - that would assume I am a sane person, which I clearly am not. In my view you have to be the wrong side of rational to own an 8. I can't bear to see it die even though it makes no financial sense at all.

• Hi Nick,

I'm choked for you 'cos it does look bad but how much of what looks damaged has actually got to be replaced? Is the rust just on the surface in the engine compartment or has it become corrosive?

• The rust is no big deal, I knew it was there. It's just the wings where the rain water collects, they needed replacing anyway.

The damage looks worse than it is (I hope). When I get the nose off I'll know the extent of my challenge.

• Zitat von NickF;70045

Steve - that would assume I am a sane person, which I clearly am not. In my view you have to be the wrong side of rational to own an 8. I can't bear to see it die even though it makes no financial sense at all.

NO need to examine my rational given that I have owned six differing examples, it just means that I can put my sentiments to one side when trying to do the right thing.

Good luck fella in all that you do.

Nick'

I need to tell you of a mishap that became a certain member of this Forum.

We had a Bmw meet in Somerset , on leaving the original meeting place we all climbed into our cars & headed for the exit, My car in front & was shunted from the rear, the aggresors car had a damaged radiator,/ bonnet/ front spoiler etc + small ancillaries the net cost to his Insurer was £16,000 Yeah you read it correctly £16,000,it turned out that this 5/10 mph impact nearly wrote the car Off, It looked like a couple of grand would sort it but what couldn't be seen was damaged inner wings /badly damaged suspension & steering components.And that was a low speed impact.

Assuming yours happened at higher speed one can only wonder???

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Just taken a few of the bits off and i'm fairly happy. I'm almost entirely sure there's no suspension or steering damage. The other good news is the inner wing on the bad side is not too badly damaged and I think it can be repaired instead of replaced. The headlight unit and supporting struts have pushed into some a/c pipes by the dryer that looks like what caused the oil leak. I also think the radiator may be holed minorly but will need to be replaced. The a/c condensor and oil cooler also look like they may have had it.

There are a lot of plastic and cosmetic-ish bits of metal that need to be replaced, i'm just hoping that the guy with the breaker will be helpful and not too pricey.

The widscreen is broken which is bad news..:(

I'm really annoyed at the salvage yard as they lifted the bonnet with what looks like a power tool which trashed the bonnet latches and the good headlight. Grrrrrrr.

Overall i'm pleased that nothing too serious looks damaged.

• Hi Nick.
    Sorry to see your car like that!
    As long as your ok.
    There is quite a bit of stuff on ebay at the mo.
    I just picked up a CSI spoiler for less then £70 so the bargains are there to be had.

Daz.

• Guys, my search for replacement parts is going well, but it is obvious that I'm going to have a hard time finding a driver's side indicator and side light. If you know of anyone who has these for sale please let me know.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!