Strange Fault ...

• Zitat von shiggsy;82408

You sure about that, mine clears ABS Fault codes. If you have a permament fault it might look like its not clearing them.

Well, I have only tried it on the ABS 4 or 5 times. It appears to clear the fault, but then the fault is back again, even theough there is no yellow light showing on the dash. Also, I don't think that the descriptions that go with the fault codes are correct. But, I know carsoft uses a data file for these and I may not have the right one.

• Latest update:
    Still not had chance to run professional diagnostics (mobile guys never available on Saturdays !). Car still won't start.

Have had one spark plug out on each cylinder bank - n/s bank, spark plug appeared normal colour, perhaps running a little hot.
    O/s (drivers side) bank, spark plug much sootier/black but not oiled/wet.

Tried spark tester on one HT lead on each bank - n/s bank sparking, o/s bank sparking (but difficult to tell visually the strength of the spark).

Visually inspected coils - no apparent cracks or grey material on the edges of the coil plates.
    Measured resistances on the 2 coils :- both virtually identical readings for primary and secondary coils but both high compared to readings shown in the 11/94 online manual.
    Secondaries 0.8 kohms (should be 0.5 +/- 10%)
    Primaries 10.31 kohms (should be 6.0 +/-10%)

Does any of this get me nearer a potential culprit ?

Talking to a couple of diagnostics guys on the phone, both mentioned crank sensors as a possible cause ......

• Crank sensors are a classic cause of non-starting as if the engine management doesn't get a reading of engine speed then it gives up. As our cars have two crank sensors then a single duff one causes the motor to limp not fail to start. This happened to my car when I broke the end off one of my crank sensors due to biblical incompetence of my part. The motor still ran, just on 6.

If the sparks are all sparking then i'd look at fuel supply.

Did you ever get the stomp test working? It can be fiddly, you have to get the timing of the "stomps" just right.

• Arnie/Nick F,
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Also from previous threads, I suppose I should be looking next at fuel and air.
    If I'm getting sparks to both banks, does that mean my crank sensors are ok (haven't had time to think that one through !?)

Stomp test - had another couple of goes at that following instructions in online manual that it had to be 5 stomps in 5 secs - still couldn't get it to work.
    Fuel filters - I haven't changed them, and as they don't seem to be a regular service item, they've probably never been changed in previous ownership.

• If you're getting spark I think your crank sensors are OK. Bad crank sensors usually work when cold then fail when hot (at least on other cars I've had).

Change your fuel filters!!!! Even if it's not the cause of this problem it should definitely be done. I thought it was on an Inspection II?

• Well you know the old joke about - did you try switching it on ? ........

Car eventually went in for diagnostics:-
    No fault codes, ignition ok, ECUs ok.
    Tried some spray into the intake and it fired and ran for a few seconds.

They then moved on to fuel supply, no fuel getting through to injectors.
    Noticed some gurgling from the tank and at first suspected the fuel pump.
    Didn't expect it to be the fuel filters as they rarely get completely blocked.

Just on the offchance as they had a spare can of fuel lying around, decided to add some fuel to the tank.
    A few churns on the starter and it fired and ran and continued running.
    Out for a test drive - everything fine.

So the cause of all this grief was - there was no fuel in the tank !!! :oops:

When this problem started there was approx 1/4 tank showing on the gauge and a little below when it went in for diagnostics.
    The gauge has always been super-accurate up to now and I have occasionally run it on reserve when racing - still gauge was accurate down to virtually empty. So a faulty gauge or float sensor was the last thing I suspected.
    Of the two, I would say a sticking float sensor would be my bet.

Garage advised topping up the tank and seeing how it goes on the gauge from there. Thats what I did and seems to be working ok so far. I'll be watching it like a hawk from now on, especially when it gets low.

Oh and they replaced the fuel filters before I collected.

• Martin, I'm really pleased that you sorted the problem out and super impressed that you admitted what the problem was! You're a better man than me, I think I may have hit the bulls**t and claimed that something terribly complicated was wrong. Good man :top:.

• Thanks for being so understanding guys !

Me - I felt like a real idiot !
    But I think it was an understandable error considering the accuracy of the gauge previously ?

Guess the message is - don't trust your fuel gauge .....

When the problem first arose, tank was showing about 1/8 full. I had added fuel to the tank, done a run which should have used less than what I added. Gauge was then showing 1/4 full and yet it was actually empty.....

• Is it possible that the fuel filters were causing the problem and in the process of diagnosing the problem you ran out of fuel? That's definitely what I would be telling myself.

• Zitat von martinw;83284

Guess the message is - don't trust your fuel gauge .....

You have a float sensor in each part of the fuel tank attached to the pump assy. After what you reported I would assume that one of those is/was stuck.

As long as the fuel tank is almost empty you can get in there but IIRC it is recommended to use new seals afterwards. Not a big job but certainly intoxicating :lol:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Hey Reinhard - off topic - sorry... but i'm jealous of the standalone parts catalogue that you seem to have, at least judging by your screen shots. How do I get such a thing? It would be useful for whiling away hours on planes, etc where there is no connectivity.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!