Lucky escape?

• Well as some of you are aware I have developed a nervous tick on my left hand bank as you look at the engine. Having replaced the valve stem seals last year I thought ok well I will now replace the hydraulic lifter. So this afternoon I had 3 hours spare and set about stripping the engine down to the point of replacement whilst I await the delivery of the special tool (ordered on monday paid for 48 hour delivery still not here!!). Anyway having taken off the cam cover to my surprise this is what greated me.

The front rocker had jumped off the valve and was wedged under the cam shaft still pushing on the side of the valve spring every time the cam went round. The location disc was sitting further back in the head right besides one of the oil drain holes!! Not sure why or how this has happend (any ideas!!) just glad I discovered it. If the tool arrives tomorrow I will hopefully get it all back together:top:

• This has happened here in the recent past after a head makeover.
    Usually you´d expect the car becoming a fog machine and not only hear ticking with a valve open ;)

The reasoning behind this went so (I am not a technical guy, so it may be close only)

The hydraulic elements being completely empty do not provide the required pressure to the rocker which is installed with some kind of a washer. The washer may shift in the beginning ever so slightly and move the rocker out of its position from where it will eventually topple over.

The tech discovering this is a seasoned 8er wrench and has done quite a few top end refurbs, so he was just as surprised as you are.
    He was certain not to have done anything wrong but still it has happened.

Good thing you looked into it by not only guessing :top:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Cheers Reinhard, it looks as if it willnow have to wait until after christmas because the valve tool has yet to arrive even though I paid for 48 hour deliery on monday! my college shuts today at 12.00pm until 4th Jan so no chance of finishing it but at least it will be safe over christmas whilst the family and I are in New York:harhar:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• I wouldn´t think so. Else we´d have heard about it many times. There probably is a difference between empty in "drained by standing" compared to "taken out of a box" and installed new.

Lloyd has not told us yet what was required when he did the valve stem seal job...

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Making the assumption that you refitted the shim on top of the valve stem correctly and had the follower properly aligned in the shim all correctly, then there is no clearance for the shim to pop out or the follower to slide sideways unless there was excessive clearance when the engine was started, and this could only be cause by drained lifters.

After this assembly procedure, I will normally crank the engine to achieve oil delivery to the heads so that I can check both the flow of oil from the spray bar, to settle the shims/followers and to ensure an oil flow in general from both heads.

This would have hopefully been sufficient time to either pump up the followers, or show the follower coming adrift as once the lifter is pressureized, this could not happen.

8Tech.

• Guys when I did valve stem seals last year I am sure everything was seated correctly etc and the engine was turned over by hand etc. The car has been used every week since albeit for short journeys in the main. It developed the fault all of a sudden and the oil level was low.
    Gerry I apprieciate your thoughts I too was amazed maybe its a combination of low oil levels short journey etc either way I am going to fit(after christmas now) the new lifters.
    I have checked the timing with Gerry's tools and its spot on no gap at all which was a nice surprise. I am just annoyed the lifter tool did not turn up yesterday or I would have finished the job, are well at least the car is safely stored in a heated garage during this cold spell!
    :devilchilli:

Lloyd

• Yes, replacing the lifter will also replace the NRV. I would also lubricate the cams, and especially the new follower with some cam lube on reassembly. Not only will it protect the cam and followers during initial start up, it is very sticky and will help keep everything in place whilst the oil pressure pumps-up the hydraulic tappets (lifters in US English) and most importantly of all, will help bed-in the new follower.

8Tech.

• No, that is the breather non-return valve. The lifter has a NRV built-in which is an integral part of the lifter.

When you start the engine, oil flows into the lifter under engine oil pressure and pressurizes a chamber within the lifter that expands the length of the lifter untill all the slack is taken up, effectively giving zero tappet clearance.

There is a bleed valve on the lifter that then relieves any higher pressures so that the oil pressure does not apply any force on the follower or cam. When you stop, the NRV closes, preventing the oil contained within the lifter from draining back into the engine. Therefore when you restart the engine, the lifter is already "pumped-up" and does not rattle.

If the NRV is not fully sealing, then the lifter drains down again, back into the engine and the tappet will rattle on restart until it is filled up again. This is why an older car with a slightly worn NRV will rattle on start-up with a thinner oil, the thin oil works past the valve whereas the thicker oil does not.

An improvement on this basic design is seen in the roller followers fitted to the M73 engine. This reduces the friction on the cam/follower surface and allows hollow cams due to the reduced load, reducing valve train and general engine mass and the thermal loading on the oil.

A continuation of this explains why the "M" spec non-turbo engines still use manually adjustable tappets rather than the hydraulic types. The high lift radical cams in these cars accelerate the lifters so much faster, and therefore with so much force, it can either damage the NRV mechanism for sealing, or the excess pressure "bleed" valve can leak due to the higher mechanical pressures involved on the lifter.

Going a stage further with the explanation then of the mechanical lifter, early designs (E36 M3) used a shim on top of an inverted bucket on top of the valve between the cam and the valve stem, completely doing away with the "finger style follower", with the cam acting directly atop the valve assembly, vastly reducing valve train mass, and this made adjustment fairly straightforward. However as cam profiles got more radical, the cam lobe would hit the edge of the shim and spit it out like a tiddlywink with usually catastrophic consequencies. To combat this, the buckets were hardened and the shims placed between the bucket and the valve stem (E46 M3), known obviously as "shim under bucket" and this was good for 2 reasons. You could use any cam profile as long as it bore down on the bucket, and the shim could now be smaller and lighter, insert into the upper valve spring retainer and reduce valve train weight allowing higher rpm. With this arrangement, I have built engines with cam profiles (lobes) so huge, I have had to grind metal away from the cam cover to clear the lobes!! (Kawasaki Z1)

Main disadvantage however is that you now have to remove the camshafts to do the tappets, and thats why an "M" car is so expensive to service......the valves are (supposed) to be adjusted during an inspection service. It is not unknown though for the cam cover to be cleaned and a new gasket "booked" on the job sheet/invoice to make it appear they have been done. Doing this can save 3 hours+ for the dealer that you have still paid-for and how can you check it?

Asleep yet????

8Tech.

• Gerry great write up as always. Your comments about the Hydraulic lifters would explain why I had tappet noise on start up which would disappear after a short while. Therefore by changing all the lifters she should be a lot quieter me hopes!

Lloyd

• Well men the job is done. After 5 weeks lay up I finally found the time to finish the job. Whilst its a pleasure working on the car there is always a moment of worry as you start her for the first time after major surgery and hey presto it started like a dream and is so quite. I changed all the lifters having found a supplier on the bay who sold me 24 for £150 ish which was great compared to the stealers £40 each. a bit of cam lube and she was away. On start up there is not even a hint of tappet noise so my advice would be if you are going to change your valve stem seals as I did last year then go the whole hog and change the lifters you wont regret it. I changed the damaged rocker as seen in the picture just to be sure.
    You can just about see the groove in the top of it in the photo (by the way there are only 23 lifters in the photo for those with a sharp eye the damaged one wa in my office)

If you are considering doing this kind of work yourself then have a go take it slow lots of photos and it should be no problem.

P.S I am now the proud owner of the special valve compression tool if anyone ever needs one.

Oh and by the way I drove it out the workshop (needing a bloody good clean) and a couple of boy racers stopped me at the lights to tell me how wonderful the car was they were possitively having a hand shandy over her. Its great to own an 8

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!