Locked/Unlocked Boot - help

• An update, of sorts guys - I shall be back over the weekend with a proper write up in the event that this problem occurs for somebody else (hopefully an event that will not occur for anyone else of course!).

Believe it or not, I have been 2 months.....yes 2 MONTHS!!!!....without my baby now. Don't ask....I dropped it off to the guy who looks after it for me; German guy, knows his BM's inside and out and knows the 8 series very well - something hard to come by it seems, in Ireland. However, he's brutal at contact and slow to work. I've had to bite my lip very hard this last 8 weeks but as of tomorrow, I should be re-united with my 8. Ahhhhhhhh. Along with getting the fusebox issue looked at, I was told I needed a new driver side cat. converter replaced as it had collapsed from the inside and had become quite rattly. Also got a new cruise control motor put in meaning I've got cruise control for the first time in my 3 yrs of 8'er ownership.

The wiring issue was the main concern though - he carried out lots of investigations and said it was a slow and tedious process. He managed to melt a number of new relays through his various experiments but has finally fixed the problem. The problem stemmed from the boot lid motor/lock mechanism. As mentioned at the outset, it stopped working for some reason but then decided to start working again. He says that the wires that hang, somewhat loosely, and get stretched and squashed with the opening and closing of the boot, had become frayed and broken. It's the black wire casing (I guess, that houses a number of wires) you see coming up from over the back wheel arch and run along the inner part of the boot - my description is probably poor - I'm using memory here! This was causing a constant flow of electricity/amps (?) because of the broken wires and as such, was overheating the bottom left relay which was the cause of the fire/burn out. He has replaced the wiring loom in that area with a new one, as opposed to repairing it as if repaired, it would most likely happen again. I spoke to him just there and he said that he left things on for a few hours last night to ensure nothing melted and has confirmed that his voltage metres and other tests were used to confirm that there is no more constant flow that there shouldn't be! Now, I hope that makes sense!! The boot is working as it should again and problem solved....albeit, 2 months later!!!! Don't mention the war.
    Oil was changed also which is good so all-in-all, things are looking up.
    I should be collecting it tomorrow so fingers crossed, this will be the last of any issues for me as I don't know if I could face any more!

Cheers folks and I hope the above wasn't too boring or confusing!!! Hee hee :top:

• That's good news, that frizzled fuse and relay block looked extremely scary! The boot-hinge loom does seem to be a problem area, I lost a ground on my blue 840ci which was due to fatigue in the same place.

• I sure am looking forward to being re-united with my baby, that's for sure!!
    Timm - when you say you "lost a ground" on your previous 840, what exactly do you mean? Sorry, I'm just curious. Is that particular loom a problem area? In hindsight, it does seem like (one of many!), strange designs on the 8? The exposure it gets and the regular flexing of it can't be a good thing. Will be getting the low down from the mechanic tomorrow so I'll get a proper insight at that time as to exactly what the issue was.

• The wiring loom in the boot lid is infamous by now and symptoms vary wildly where you likely experienced one of the worst scenarios. This is not confined to the E31 though - the very same happened to E34 and E39´s in my possession and I am sure that wherever cables are flexed and insulation over time hardens wires are bound to break.
    Good to hear that you´re back in business, maybe you take a chair when receiving the breakdown of the costs ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von keenan;89268

I sure am looking forward to being re-united with my baby, that's for sure!!
    Timm - when you say you "lost a ground" on your previous 840, what exactly do you mean?

One of the brown wires which connect from the rear lights to the chassis was broken. This had the strange result of dimming one number-plate light and losing a brake light only when reverse was selected!

• Zitat von Timm;89280

One of the brown wires which connect from the rear lights to the chassis was broken. This had the strange result of dimming one number-plate light and losing a brake light only when reverse was selected!

I had exactly the same symptoms when mine did this, here's the culprit wire:

• Same here, blew one of the green relays in the boot resulting in no cabin lights. One for the common faults list along with binding front brakes, rear suspension bushes, rocker seals, PCV valve, roof rust, rear shock mounts........

Fantastic car though!:top:

• Hi guys,

Was going to start a new thread but decided to keep this one going as I think my current issue is most likely due to that g*d damned frazzled fuse box!! Anyway, ignoring the issues "after" the event (i.e. mechanic handing car back to me minus alot of parts, cracked paint etc - still chasing him!), I noted recently that while stopping to let some old dear out and into traffic, I was frantically "flashing" my full lights (pop up lights were down at this time) and supergran didn't budge until I waved my hand at her. Of course, I simply thought that her eye-sight was failing her! Anyway, I checked my full beams and I have a problem. The fulls on the pop-lights work fine however the ones below - beside the idicators and park light - are not working on either side.
    Today, I took out the passenger side light fitting and inserted a new bulb - no joy however. I also noted, in the boot, the bulbs either side of the bootlid i.e. kinda behind the main lights, if ya get me? and also the light that is underneath, as such, and beside the back window break light bulb entry point!!!!! - anyway, those 3 in the back are not working either - I changed all bulbs for new ones but no joy.

Any ideas guys? I'm sorry for rambling - it's a tendancy......:oops:
    Possibly a fuse(s)? I did note, after the "fix up" on the fuse box that there is a stray wire there that looks like it wasn't there before.
    I'll get pics up in the morning at some point. Any ideas, most welcome. Cheers everyone

• Unfortunately, the circuit diagrams don't seem to give much indication to how the UK models are wired up as far as the FTP main-beams are concerned. They DO show that the relevant fuse is F26 in the Front Power Distribution box. Check that first.

• Thanks for the speedy reply Timm - I'll check that out first thing - it's not the end of the world but ya know how it is - nice when everything is working as it should!

P.S. I put in new micro/cabin filters today - not even sure if the last ones had EVER been changed.......it was literally, a breath of fresh air getting into the car! I couldn't get over the amount of air actually flowing into the car and the temperates were more accurate than normal. I did get a bit of a smell of oil however Timm.............but that's because I was working the can of bicylce chain grease spray overtime on the window wiper mechanisms and motor....as per one of your previous tips!!! :top: Wipers working swimingly which is brill.
    I'll come back with an update re lights....thanks again.

• I'm sorry to be a harbinger of whinginess - but, I didn't have much luck with the grease-in-an-aerosol. It worked OK on the wiper mechanism, but failed to do much at all on the brake linkages. I'll be doing the linkages again with engine oil (like I did on my '97 840ci) as that worked well, it was just a bit messy!

P.S. It's quite hard to spray the motor linkage as it whips past - at least it won't go rusty in there!

• Well, I would agree with the bicycle aerosol Timm - I've actually used it a number of times thus far - this evening, being the most recent and probably 5th or 6th renewal!!!! It just seems to dry out - I don't mind so much at the moment, not too much rain but rainy season will happen again in the not too distant future so I think I'll go for the engine oil job myself to ensure that it keeps the joints etc properly lubed

• Back again guys. As mentioned, I came across a "stray" wire - don't remember seeing it before the fuse box indicent. Also, picture of the fuse box repair. Any suggestions most welcome.

• The entire headlight wiring loom incl the one to the FTPs is well known for failing after the years. Although the FTP wire is not being flexed like the ones for the main headlights they do fail. I wouldn't be surprised if both are just shot. First I'd check if 12V are coming to the connector for that wiring loom #1.

• Zitat von Timm;91557

That looks a bit after-market to me, certainly nothing I recognise

That's good to hear. It does seem that the car did have a set up for a mobile phone at one point - there is a 2nd aerial on top of the back windscreen and I can see a few small holes where a mobile phone holder was possibly screwed into the middle section of the cockpit - just before the cigarette lighter box area.

@ wooke - thanks for reply and diagram. However, I'm not gifted in the electronics area! As per "check if 12V are coming to the connector for that wiring loom #1" - I can see #1 on the diagram however how do I go about checking if 12V is going to the connector? I'll see if I can get someone who knows electrics to have a peek. Thanks guys.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!