Locked/Unlocked Boot - help

• Hi guys,

I probably should refrain from posting right now as I probably should explore in more depth however, will post nonetheless as I'll need some direction!

Prepare yourself for some waffle!! 2 days ago, when I got into the car after work, I noticed a sort of burnt smell in the car. I opened the door to see if maybe there was a similar smell outside and maybe it had made its way in - no smell outside. I thought it rather strange and was a bit worried (still am to be honest!). Didn't get chance to expore any further last night due it being dark and wet. Same smell in the car today when I got in -another dark and rainy night tonight. Anyway, had to put something into the boot when I got home so went out, unlocked the car with the key zapper and when I went to open the boot, as normal (i.e. pushing the black plastic flap thingy), there was no budging it. It just wouldn't open it. I had a look around, fearing that someone may have tampered with it but no signs (still dark out mind you but didn't seem to show signs of force).
    I turned on engine, car was running, tried again, nothing.
    I then used the key, pushed the key upwards toward the sky and the boot opened - I'd never tried to open it with the key. I turned the key while in the lock (clockwise) to see if it would make any difference - tried to open then with the "flap", as normal but still nothing.

I have always opened the boot the "normal" way and have never used the key. I checked to find similar posts here and saw mention of when the glove compartment is locked, the boot is locked. However, the key has never been near the glovebox or boot.
    When I have the boot open, after pushing the key barrel upwards, I push in the "flap" and I can hear a clicking sound coming from the left of the boot space (around about where that round black plastic "button" is, showing a picture of a jack).
    Getting back to the burning smell - might it be a case of a burned out fuse/wire or some such? Again, I haven't explored given weather an no light.

Therefore, my question is.......any ideas? Is the "flap" operated via a fuse? Could this be the problem?

I just went out to the car there - the car was zapped locked, I tried to open the boot and it opened for me, by pushing the key barrel upwards - the alarm went off of course.

Any thoughts/ideas most welcome.
    Thanks as always folks.

• The trunk motor (and relay) is protected by Fuse 31 in the rear power distribution box. That fuse also supplies power elsewhere so it being blown is unlikely. More likely is that the trunk motor has seized and it is the relay you can hear clicking as that is in the same box next to the jack (K70)

• I´d not be overly surprised if one of the ground cables in the wiring loom of the boot lid is broken. Next to each boot hinge you see the looms curving out and into the body further down. Push aside the rubber insulation - this will take some fiddling and be prepared for the worst ;)
    Sometimes (a lot) more than 1 of the cables inside is broken in two leading to funny phenomena all over the place.
    This shall not exclude the possibility that the trunk motor has given up the ghost but a burnt smell would rather have me checking everything right away since fire is not far away from there.

Also check the relay and fuses box in the trunk - left hand side. There were cases where fuse holders were badly melted and blackened for whatever reason without the fuse popping.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Thanks Timm and Reinhard,
    Appreciate the feedback - the burning smell doesn't exactly fill me with confidence so I will check it without delay. I'll have a look at the wires, that are exposed, as you say and then dive into the left hand side of the boot to see if there's any evidence of burning/broken wires.
    I assume it's a matter of removing/pulling away the left hand side upright (covered with the carpet, as such) and having a nosey in there?
    Again, appreciate the comments guys and I will get back to you in the coming day or two to let you know what I see. :top:

• Hi Nifty,
    I'm afraid not! She's still up for sale. I've had a couple of enquiries but nothing concrete. A guy was in touch from Scotland, talking about coming over but was not definate about it so she's still up for sale! Will hopefully get to the bottom of this issue before she goes however.
    In the mean time, I'm very much enjoying my 8 ;)

• Didn't happen to lock the glove box/cubby? That locks out the boot latch lever.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Hi TerryY,
    I had checked that however no, I hadn't locked it - I've never actually put the key in the lock of the glovebox but unfortunately, as much as I wish it was as simple as that, that's not the case.
    I'm going to check tomorrow, now that the weekend is upon us so hopefully it's dry and I can get checking!
    Will report back.

• Well, F*CK ME! That's all I can say. After welcoming the fact that it's a sunny and relatively dry Saturday, I went out to the car to have a peek at the fuses on the left hand side of the boot. I took the covering away and was greeted by a most obviously burned out fuse box and fittings!

Here's a link to some pics - apologies for some of the poor quality pics but hopefully you'll get the jist.
    When I saw it, to say I was shocked was an understatement - I had visions of coming out to see a burning 8'er inferno! Thankfully that hasn't happened but this is pretty bad news.

Anyone ever seen or heard of such a thing happening?
    My main concern now is to get it fixed/replaced. How difficult or expensive is that going to be, would anyone know? And, is it something that with the correct parts being ordered through BMW, I could tackle myself or best leave it to an expert?

Here's the link: https://picasaweb.google.com/shabbyalonso/BurnedFuses#

Lasty, on pic number 3 on the above link, I took note of a wire that is in limbo. It's just to the right of the carpeted holder for the jack - looks as though it's been snipped but
    anyone know where or what this should be doing?

Man o' man, I didn't envisage this happening, that's for sure!
    Cheers for any advice guys.

• Thats looks serious:shock2: hope you can fix it without to much grief or expense,

Better go and check mine as I have a smell of burning rubber from that side after a journey as well.

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• Hi Lloyd,
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Okay, well excuse my ignorance but I guess the relays are the coloured boxes and the fuses are the smaller horizontal inserts? If so, they are certainly damaged/melted. However, I am pretty sure that the mounting is okay. I guess the one way to find out is to try to take them out? Can I just go ahead and do that or do I need to disconnect anything firstly?
    Thanks

• Blimey! Fortunately, the fuse 'box' is made of separate clip-together parts that can be bought individually. However, it will probably be a lot cheaper to ask for the complete assembly from a scrapper - just ask to have all the wires cut at 6" away from the box.

My friend had an E32 that was much more extensively frazzled than yours and that was repaired successfully.

I would guess that water has got into the box to cause that kind of damage. I can't tell where the flames came from though - it looks like someone went over the assembly with a blow-torch.

The method of getting this going again is to snip and replace one bit at a time, trying to envisage a 'complete' replacement with all those wires is daunting, but I bet quite a lot of the sockets are OK.

• Cheers Timm (as for Robmarrs - geez, I hope that burning smell isn't anything like mine!!!!)

I've just sent on pics to the guy who usually works on my car for his advice also in terms of what is required to sort it. I had a quick look there again - I reckon that it's likely the whole thing, holders and all, will have to be replaced.
    I checked around for wet patches - while I did see the odd minute drop in one area, noting of note. I don't ever having an issue with water getting in. It has been raining alot this last week mind you but hey, it's Ireland after all and it's not the first time it's rained.

I'm not best pleased with this though I can assure you but I'm keeping my fingers very much and tightly crossed in the hope that it can be sorted quickly and relatively cheaply.

Any more thoughts are most welcome of course

• Cripes, thats scary.

I think it would be a wise move if you disconnected both batteries at this stage. Remove both neg cables first.
    If you want to remove each relay\fuse column for a look just twist them to the left and they will drop down.

(it knows your trying to sell it)

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Purely as an update - I got this "issue" looked at by 2 mechanics - one who is familiar with the 8 and BMW's in general - another that my Dad knows. I haven't had a chance for my usual guy to check it out as yet such with various things on etc! Anyway - the verdict from both was..........they weren't sure what could have caused it. While they say they've seem similar before in cars (generally), the cause would usually be water, faulty system etc - we poured lots of water over, below, beside the area (while boot was closed of course and car was locked) but certainly no signs of water getting in. The day it happened, it hadn't been raining either.

Anyway, the one consolation is that both said that it hadn't affected anything, bar the plastic housing on the relays and fuses being somewhat melted in parts. They did some sort of test to check power flowing from each unit (I'm kinda winging that bit...!!) but all was as it should be. While I still want to get it to my usual guy, I'm pleased to a degree that the after effects, seem to be nil.

P.S. The boot is working as normal now - after I checked it, I took out one or two fuses replaced them and the boot is working perfectly! Very strange overall I must admit but having driven the car since, I've had zero issues ..... thankfully.

Anyway, just thought I'd update you with where I am with it........and that's to say also, still not sold! Got one or two silly silly offers so she's stayin' put for now!!

• Glad to hear that it's been sorted and that it wasn't as bad as first thought.

Just a point on the possible cause: A bad contact between the fuse and its holder will cause the contact points to become very hot, due to higher than normal resistance. This can the lead to the melting of the surrounding plastic and wire insulation. Water can of course, cause corrosion leading to poor contact, but also a partly inserted (or under-rated) fuse could do the same.

• That looked nasty, hopefully not too difficult to fix.
    Ref the cut wire you had in pic 3 - I'm guessing here but does your car have a phone fitted? Or did it have? It's hard to tell from that picture but the cable looks to be several cables in one (multi core) and I wondered if it might be or might have been connected to the telephone gubbins.

• Hi Argonaut - i think that could well be it i.e. the cut wire.
    I do have a second aerial on the back windscreen and wondered what it was for. I also discovered a couple of very small holes where a holder might well have been for a phone, just behind the flippy thingy (where I keep loose change and coins!!!). Thanks!

• Well, after some deliberation, I've decided I'm gona keep her! I've had my 8 up for sale now for a couple of months and while there has been interest, there have been lots of rather silly offers. It feels as though if I do sell it, I might aswell be giving it away and I just can't bring myself to do it. As previously said, one of the main factors is the dreaded annual road tax bill of 1600 euro which sickens me but hey, there ya go. I don't use is that much in the general scheme of things so I can't justify selling it, forking out shed loads for something new and snazzy and watching it depreciate like crazy outside my door!

So, I'm gona get a few niggles sorted out and shall continue to live the 8'er dream!!! Good times!!!!! :winkwink:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!