Rusty turd Csi for £8k

• Its on a 'friends carfront' for £9995.

i like the (shouted) description: "DOES HAVE A FEW MINOR RUST BUBBLES UNDER THE PAINTWORK.....THERE ARE A FEW WARNING LIGHTS ON THE DASH,BUT THIS CAN ONLY BE DOWN TO SITTING AROUND AS THERE WHERE NO LIGHTS ON WHEN LAST DRIVEN...WARNING LIGHTS ARE FOR THE FOUR WHEEL STEER,ABS TRACTION CONTROL"

then it says:
    NO SILLY OFFERS,TYRE KICKERS,AS IM SICK OF PEOPLE WITH CHAMPAGNE BRAINS AND PEPSI COLA POCKETS.

:laugh:

• This car, also being discussed elsewhere in the world, today is probably worth only what you can get for the "important" parts - VIN, S70 engine, CSi parts & AHK. Not that much really.
    We´re not yet dealing with a car where structural integrity needs to be restored no matter how much it will cost.
    This may be different 20 yrs from now where even a rust bucket might be worth a fortune. Today I´d very lightheartedly go with Steve and rather spend 10k more for a car which does not have those issues - they´re still around.
    Having seen the money spent for a restoration of cars with much minor issues towards a satisfying general condition I know (also from own experience) that 6-7k just evaporate and still leave nothing but an unfinished project.
    Be very wary of seemingly cheap offers and always keep in mind that if it appears too cheap to be true it probably is.
    This does not mean that the car in question is a hopeless cause - at least the seller makes an effort and points out weak spots - this clearly is a car aimed at people that know their way around, have connections to workshops/paintshops and/or can do most of a restoration themselves.
    Unfortunately I fear, an unsuspecting buyer with minimum to zero knowledge of what is involved will fall prey to his own hormonal disbalance and be a very happy chap if only for a few days.
    Reminds me of buying my first cars :laugh:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• im concerned to see more and more 8's with rust issues.

At first I thought these things were good defending themselves against rust because I never really read of rust issues. Could it be perhaps that because of the rare nature of the 8 they were guarded against rust because they were garage kept? And now that they are more, let us say "affordable", and driven as "regular" cars (meaning exposed to all types of weather) they begin to behave as regular cars and develop rust?

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• I guess if its bought by a dreamer with little knowledge it will be back on the bay pretty quick with little or no work done. Better the devil you know, which is why I changed my mind about selling mine she may have 165k on the clock but i know every inch of the car good and bad.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Zitat von Steve5;96722

asking price far to much as the Four wheel stering was speed reactive and a bit complicated :laugh:

Probabally worth a lot less :aetsch:

Is that 4 wheel steering that much of a PITA?

Good you didnt sell your Lloyd. It looks so good. Would be nice to see some pics of it. You guys here show so few pics :P

• Zitat von lloyd;96725

i guess if its bought by a dreamer with little knowledge it will be back on the bay pretty quick with little or no work done. Better the devil you know, which is why i changed my mind about selling mine she may have 165k on the clock but i know every inch of the car good and bad.

165k !!:top: That takes some driving!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Zitat von CaifanSC;96612

im concerned to see more and more 8's with rust issues.

At first I thought these things were good defending themselves against rust because I never really read of rust issues. Could it be perhaps that because of the rare nature of the 8 they were guarded against rust because they were garage kept? And now that they are more, let us say "affordable", and driven as "regular" cars (meaning exposed to all types of weather) they begin to behave as regular cars and develop rust?

Well, they were quite well protected, particularly compared to other contemporary cars, but after 15 years the cavity wax shrinks and dries hard. Winter salt also takes its toll and there are many areas, such as wheel-arches or front cross member etc, where dirt will accumulate and collect moisture, eventually causing corrosion. Any breaks in the PU underbody coating will let moiture in between the coating and the metal. I found the drain-plugs in the passenger and driver floor panels to be a common staring point. Also, the drain-holes in the spare-wheel recess in the trunk. and the weld-seem under the rear trunk-lid rubber seal (the adhesive mastic dries and water finds its way through the bottom of the seal. The seal around the sunroof lid has a similar issue. They are all out of sight, until rust bubbles through.

The other issue comes from bad repairs such as windscreen replacements, which will cause rust to develop under the rubber trim, such that when you spot it, it's too late. Unattended stones chips will aslo eventually sucomb to rust.

The chassis components, like suspension parts and struts and tie-rods are not well protected and these rust quickly. Even if you buy new ones, they need a couple of extra coats of paint, as they only have a thin coat.

It is a couple of day's work to thoroughly clean the car underneath, attend to rusty parts, and then to remove various panels to inject new wax (I found Dinitrol Corromax to be quite good).

• Zitat von greenelekta;96857

Why so dismissive? I thought we were 8 series fans. Someone just bought one of only 150 right hand drive in the world, good luck to them

Hear,Hear!

It would be nice to follow its progress. Does anyone know the buyer?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!