Warming up the car in the morning??

• Hey fellas,
    I wanted to raise this issue after I saw a post in which a gentleman said he didn't allow time for his car to warm up being that he only had to drive 1.5 miles.
    This is TOTALLY ABSURD!!!!!! :twisted: Since I was a child and I first began driving, my father taught me long ago that it was critical to allow the car to warm up prior to engaging her in driving. This is especally important if the weather is cold at all. Me personally I warm up EVERY VEHICLE that I have inlcuding my SUV's and with the 8 I don't throw her in gear UNTIL I've reached at least the 2nd hash-mark, usually after a good 3-4 minutes of running!!!

Not only does instantly taking off in a car cause stress to the gears in the tranny, but there are people who make a very bad habit of leaving thier radio's and AC on whenever they turn off the car. To me that is what WOMEN do, that is not what men ought to do. These mistakes place to much wear/tear on the alternator and all compnantsw invovled in the crank0up process.

Any comments guys???...... are most in agreement with me on this subject, what is everyone's habits here when it comes to this issue?

• Rubbish IMO.

Wear and tear occurs on the car when it is cold, the quicker it gets warm the better.

Ive always been taught not to let it sit warming up.

• The BMW handbook says to drive off straight away after starting when its cold.

I can think of a few reasons why this might be best but bottom line for me is that I trust them on this.

Anyone on a nice trip this weekend?

Nathan

Lets burn rubber!

91 BMW 850 (Heavily Modified)
    86 Ford F150 monster truck (44 inch tyres)

• Zitat von ballaamir

Al, what do you mean the quicker it warms up the better? Isn't that the same as allowing her to warm up properly? Please clearify.

The extra fuel used when moving off means extra heat, and as the engine is revving higher, the pumps will be circulating the water quicker, and oil pressure will be higher pushing sludgy oil to the top of the engine more quickly (stopping the tick on the timing cams!)

I agree about AC/Fans/lights though

Nathan

Lets burn rubber!

• Hmmm, I never really thought of it that way. Well what about pushing the car hard after cranking her up, surely one would allow her to be at modest temp before gunning the throttle?

• Its simple really. Start her up, drive off normally, keep the revs down untill the temp is normal...then Ballaamir, and only then can you THRASH THE LIVING SH*T OUT OF IT :!::lol:
    Against some guy in a Lambo if you wish :wink:

Les

• Letting catalyst equipped cars idle until they are warm is hell on the cats.

When they do light off there is so much unburned gas accumulated from the low flows that the have been known to glow :(

Had a brand new Ford ranger glowing from the exhaust manifold to down the pipe past the cat once. The cast iron manifold was in the red glow stage and the rest was in yellow orange. Bit warm?

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Anyone on a nice trip this weekend?

Nathan[/quote]

Hi Nathan,

How about Aberdeen to Poznan Poland? Set off yesterday from Aberdeen to board the Ferry in Newcastle. Hit shoreside Amsterdam 11 am. Writing this from just outside Berlin in a nice wee German Hotel. Only got another 186 miles to do tomorrow.

Loving these Autobahns. The old girl seems to sense she's near home, running like a dream. Will let her invade Poland tomorrow!!

:lol::lol:

• excellent news! These cars should not be locked up in garages they should be out there munching through mile upon mile of tarmac.

Shame weather is not warm or you could try to bounce of the old 155 limit.

I wouldnt know about that of course.

Nath

Lets burn rubber!

• Rubbish

That is a load of RUBISSH!!

Ive never heard of starting a car up form cold and driving it straight away. If thats the case then why does the E39 M5 have a warning light which tells you when you should rev the car up.

I think of any car like a human body. You dont just jump out of bed you get out. You dont go running of too the kitchen.

First you have a shower , brush your teeth, put some clothes on, have a cofee. You know warm and be nice and fresh. Have a sense of feeling and direction.

I allways and allways warm up my car and dont drive it off untill the temp gauge is in the middle. I did this once and the gears on my eight were struggling to change.

Load of rubbish if anyone tells you to drive you car straight away esspecially from cold.

First off all the oil should reach a certian temp before it does the work properly and any car mechanic including BMW technicians will tell you that. Allow the fluids to do their jobs.

Its the worst thing you can do to your car or any car and is the quickest way to wear down components within the engine and gear box.

• My new BMW

P.s I agree with you Balaamir

Just continue what youre doing mate you cant go wrong.

On other news Just bought a 99 T reg E46 328SE SPORT FULLY LOADED WITH ONE OLD OWNER AND FBMSH.

Only done 17k and is literally brand spanking new.

Love it

Its so nice to drive. Bought it as an every day car and the leather even smells new.

• Zitat von nathan8

Shame weather is not warm or you could try to bounce of the old 155 limit.

I wouldnt know about that of course.

Nath

Thanks Nathan, chickened out at 135 mph. Sanity prevails at a steady 110mph. Don't you just hate these bloody Germans!! They've got it sussed when it comes to motorway driving. I feel safer at 110 here than I ever do at 70 in the yuk.

D'ye think that their Autobahn flyovers maybe hold the bodies of interfering, p.c. meddling eurocrats?

Might go for the 155 on the way back if it's quiet enough. :roll::roll:

• :lol::lol::lol::lol: oh dear Bimmerman, you make me laugh.
    Im thinking you and Ballaamir should become the best of buddys.
    In the construction game there's a saying for young ens like you, KNOW IT ALL... KNOW F**K ALL!!
    Get your facts right before spouting rubbish.
    Have a nice weekend! :)

• Re: Warming up the car in the morning??

Zitat von ballaamir

Hey fellas, I wanted to raise this issue after I saw a post in which a gentleman said he didn't allow time for his car to warm up being that he only had to drive 1.5 miles.

This is TOTALLY ABSURD!!!!!! :twisted:

This is me, right ???

Think I'll take the side of Age & Mechanical Experience + BMW Handbook, over Urban Myth.

Yours is a slight mis-quote anyhow. I do indeed start up and drive away, pulling out of my driveway onto a green belt National Speed Limit road for 1 mile, then turn into the Industrial Esate where my factory is. I only ever go above 2 - 3000 revs after engine is a full running temp, and seeing as this does not happen on my way to work, I therefore do not ever travel fast on my way there, or back for that matter.

What do you suggest, I move house further away from work, or carry on to enjoy the massive benefits of living a whopping 3.5 minutes away from my work, door to door.

btw, how does letting the car warm up idling on the driveway warm up the gearbox and transmission ???? :wink:

• Bimmerman840ci,
    Thank you for understanding EXACTLY what I mean. It is FACT that the tranny will jerk in-&-out of gears if it is not allowed proper time to warm up. This same concept extends to all the componants invloved. I have never had anything negative come from allowing the car to warm up, but the only time that I was in a hurry and decided to take the BM, the first good gasing-off it felt like I was beating the shit out of my gears. I hated myself for that and the tranny's in our cars gentleman are NOT CHEAP..... :!::!: In fact in the past when I've had the SL, the car would purposely hold the rpm at 1K and then after a good 50sec period it would relieve itself and calm down. The mercedes manuel says to never drive a car immediatly if it hasn't been warmed up and thus that is why they installed this nifty feature. My father's 2001 750IL is the same way, she holds it at a high rpm for a good minute then it calms down and you're ready to drive off.

Tall, understand that my comment was only made in reference to the issue at hand. The way you explained it, it seems that you got it right....if I had to take that route myself I would simply allow the idle-rpm to move the car and not gas it at all. Keep up the good work mate. 8)

So it seems that everyone here is in agreence that we ought not to push the car hard at all untill she's properly warmed up, and that those who choose to drive off with 2 mins of cranking her up, it seems that you guys don't push her past 3Krpm until she's warmed up. Makes sense I suppose....but when I hit the pavment I'm already needing to go fast so it's nessecary that I warm her up.

You got to treat your cars like a sexy lady, turn her on and let her warm up a bit then when you're ready, pounce on it and go for the long haul. :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!