M3 Vents. Should I -or- Shouldn't I ?

• Personally I think the M3 vents ar to big for the 8, they are to high, and I think this shows in Steve840's picture, they are to dominant on the wing and are out of proporsion with the 8.
    A vent 3/4 in hight might look alot better, or even better, the Z3/M-Roadster ones (less chrome, more shark gill like) might also look alot better.

Still say sell them, but by all means, it's you're car, do what ypu want.

-------

@Steve840

"I hear what you keep pointing out BUT "each to there own" "

It's his car and he can do what damn well he like with it, but he asked for our opinion, and he got mine.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Go for it Tony! Never mind the "It's not original" Bleaters. It's a bloody car fr Christs sake, Personally I think that they look great.

No point in looking for impartial advice here, you just end up more confused. :lol::D

• Zitat von Hemibum

Go for it Tony! Never mind the "It's not original" Bleaters. It's a bloody car fr Christs sake, Personally I think that they look great.

No point in looking for impartial advice here, you just end up more confused. :lol::D

Praise the Lord :D

Could not have put it better myself :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Somehow I don't think that I can be a Purist any more :shock:

Do what lights your fire :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Looking at the pictures on Terry's Ebay link I'm again reminded and puzzled by BMW's decision only to give the US cars a handy coin holder next to the door speaker.

Oh - and the side vents - clearly very well executed. I wonder if they actually vent anything other than the sealed wing cavity?

• How do you do it Terry ? Whatever the topic you always have an uberpost up your sleeve :lol:

The guy selling the red 8 clearly has some good and well executed ideas, although I'm not keen on the X Men style vents myself :shock:

I do like the exhaust tips but, again imo, they stick too far out of the back, and would look better 3 - 4cm further back. Also spraying the dash red is just too much !

• Zitat von TallTony

How do you do it Terry ? Whatever the topic you always have an uberpost up your sleeve :lol:

I spend too much of my day wandering around finding what other people wandering around found in their efforts at wasting time.

I also collect odd 8 series pictures and bookmarks. Not just 8 series though, a bit more varied in my wanders.

I have one bookmark with 1997 in its title. The site is updated every day but I first bookmarked it in '97 :shock: Been moving the bookmark list from computer to computer since Netscape 1. something. Sad isn't it. :roll: But Better than collecting string I think :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• not sad at all, bookmarking is great if, unlike me, you can remember what each obscure heading is 2 months later !

Right back to the vents. They're going in. No apologies to the faithful, I understand completely where you're coming from but I'm set on this.

My method will be: Firstly, mill off the overlap of the lip on the shrouds, and then make cutting template that is same size as the internal perimeter of the shrouds.

Have wing holes cut by plasma/laser cutter (my neighbours at work have one of these). Probably have to remove both wings for this. Bond the modified shroud to the inside of the wing so that the vents will then pop into the cavity using the existing internal clips of them. Radius the edges of the hole so that they flow seamlessly into the shroud, using surface filler if necessary.

One wing already needs repraying because of some fool denting it badly in carpark few months back, and the postman scratching very same wing last week (not proveable though! :twisted: ), so will get both done at same time.

This way will look completely OEM and the vent's carbon fibre will then overlap the metal prefectly as on the M3 which will satisfy my only gripe with this mod.

Then my car will have M3 vents, M5 LSD, M6 wheels, and M8* on reg plate :shock: . Debadge the rear and hey presto, and e31 with an Identity Crisis :lol:

* this was an ironic 'one in the eye for the purists' so the vents will get the vitriol flowing nicely :mrgreen:

• Good to have some moral support !

Next week it is all change ! ABS pump replaced on Tuesday along with the fitting of new brake hoses - cheers for pointing me in that direction.

Discs and pads going on Wed/thurs, along with Calipers resprayed metallic silver (naturally toyed with idea of Red, but fortunately common sense prevailed)

Then, when I'm happy the thing will stop properly I'm, ahem, popping the LSD in :lol: man...... 8)

• Even though I dont agree with putting them on the car I wish you luck.

I'd still like to see the finished result. Semes like you got a well thought through plan.

And the M5 LSD, how's that working???
    I hate the fact that BMW did'nt put LSD's on these cars in the first place, been thinking about getting one from Quaife for my car.

And a comment for the "Original Polizei" comment I posted earlier.
    I'm not a True menber, I'm all for making mods on the car, but I'm not a big fan of cutting into the original body and making irreversible mods.

Tecnical and performance mods are great, and in some case nessesary.
    The 8 i my opinion needs an LSD, and a suspension mod.
    I'm personally installing a new sound system and alarm in the car, the 17 year old stuff has done it's job and a replacement system is going in, but there will be NO cutting in the car.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Post a little late but...

I had my M3 vents installed about 9 months before the first 8-Fest in 2003. They were set in place by M1 a very good custom house. You can tell by this picture that I am not at all a purist.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!