When is a Sport not a Sport?

• I've already mailed Jud with this one, but thought I'd throw it open to everyone. Basically, I found a Sport I like the look of, for sale at a garage, I had chat with the manager and the car sounds very nice well looked after etc. He faxed me over a build sheet and this is where I got a bit confused, as among the options Sports seats are listed. Now, I would have thought that getting Sports seats in a Sport is a given and they wouldn't be mentioned as an option. Of course, this raises the question of whether or not the car is a genuine Sport and whether or not the aero kit and mirrors were added on at a later date. Thoughts anyone?

• They are an option on my build sheet as well. It also mentions the M Sports Package, M aerodynamics package, M Sport Suspension etc etc.
    I think this was the norm on the later sport models :D

Hope this answers your question. :D

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• 840CiA Sport (UK)

BMW UK was given the task of increasing sales of the M62 840Ci in its final years of production (1996-99) by BMW AG. The M62 RHD 840Ci produced 1,470 examples, of which most were Sport Models.

The genius of BMW UK was to package the bits from the recently-ended 850CSi (production ended Oct-96) into the 840Ci (e.g. body, suspension, wheels, etc.). Of the 1,470 RHD 840Ci's built, ~1,056 were built with the Sports option. Because of the success of freshening the M62 840Ci with 850CSi bits, this program spread to Belgium in early 1998 and then to the rest of Europe late 1998 til production end May-99.

The core "standard" option codes for the sport version were:
    704 M SPORT SUSPENSION (optional on non-sport)
    710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL (optional on non-sport)
    715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE
    775 INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE
    782 M LT/ALY WHEELS SYSTEM II (optional on non-sport)

One could order code 704, 710, and 782 on the non-sport M62 840Ci for an additional charge. Here's the actual brochure detailing the specifics.
    <center>

</center>

The first "retail" UK 840Ci Sport was produced on Wednesday 14-May-1997, chassis number CC66409 -- -it was built as a 1997 model year vehicle and came in ALPINWEISS 3 (300) with a LEDER NAPPA/SCHWARZ (M5SW) interior. BMW of Australia also wanted in the action and actually had the very first retail 840Ci Sport produced on 29-April-1997.

There continues to be a difference of opinion (hint: Arnie - with no disrespect to you old chap -- big GRIN) regarding the 840Ci Sports -- however, my data is from BMW UK's own figures and output from the BMW 8 Series Inventory Project.

On my "To Do" list for the Registry data is to explicitly break down all special models of the 8 Series (e.g. Japan Individuals, Platinum editions, 840Ci Sports, Alpinas, etc.). In case you missed it, the UK Market Version colors for all 8 Series are now online:

06-July-2007 - UK Colors Now Online

So, the car that Seb emailed me is indeed a non-840Ci sport.

Cheers,

Jud

• Well there you go. I was under the impression I had a Sport Model. After all mine has the full aero package, sports seats with piping, leather M Steering Wheel, Anthracite headlining, and has 'individual' plaque on left side front suspension mount. Also has M62 engine, with steptronic. It also had the turbine alloys originally.

So why do I doubt it now.... Date of first registration 08 04 1997 (chassis CC66402)

Still, I have bilsteins in now so the M Suspension issue is largely irrelavent.

Is it possible the car was registered by the dealer earlier than the official launch of the 'Sport' edition ?

• Tony;

This is the build sheet for your car below.

First, your car was processed by BMW Individual and as a result, there were "special ordered" items. But more on that in a moment.

Remember, the key phrasing I used in my post above was "retail" -- this means that the options were "packaged" together to put together a "Sport" edition 840Cia. I also wrote there were approximately 1,056 Sport versions (~ that's what this symbol means) --- which means what it says --- as I need to thoroughly investigate the remainder of pre-retail cars. From April/May 1997 forward, the options in assembling an official sport edition 840Ci Sport were auto-assigned.

Now back to your car. The person and/or dealer that ordered your car did put together a "sport" type version --- it was very common to be able to order the CSi body kit separately, in this case option code 715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE and for the wheels, 782 M LT/ALY WHEELS SYSTEM II. In addition, the buyer of this car ordered a specialized interior. For all intents and purposes, your car is a Sport edition because of the ingredients were combined with the existing order option codes (e.g. 704, 710) with code 940 Special Order instructions.

For the 1996-97 model year vehicles there were Sport editions put together and notated in the Code 940 comments as "E31 Sport Edition - Great Britain" --- with a lot of paperwork to accomodate the Sport version. It was part of the genuis of BMW UK efforts to offer a Sport version of the 840CiA even though each Sport had to be manually Special Ordered from the factory. For purposes of what I previously wrote, it wasn't until April 1997 when the Sport package was streamlined in the BMW order system and became functionally a "retail" offering.

Of the roughly 400 cars built in 1996-97 prior to the one I stated, part of my work will be to determine special editions, like the UK 840Ci Sport, of which those are pre-retail Sport versions. Each build sheet prior to the "retail packaging" has special comments in the code 940 Special Order section that requires additional study --- some that were sport editions say "E31 Sport Edition - Great Britain" are acknowledged in the comments. Your car is one of those unique situations.

I understand where the confusion set in as I probably needed to clearly outline that there were 840Ci Sport Editions prior to April/May 1997, it's just that they were not packaged in the BMW order system and "manually" put together. If there's enough interest in getting to an answer sooner than later as to the exact number of Sport Editions, I'd be pleased to consider re-orienting my planned content launch at 8coupe.com (Germany 8er colors is next). I will tell you this fact: most of the M62 840's RHD are Sport Editions (north of 75%). It's just that the car Seb is looking at is definitely not one of them.

Also, be aware that since BMW Individual processed your car with a one-off interior, it's collectability is nudged higher.

(note for everyone else, DO NOT ask me to publish your build sheets on ClubE31, it's a policy that was implemented a long time ago -- only in events where a car is publicly for sale will I publish them. Because of the nature of this thread, Tony published his chassis number and openly questioned the issue --- to which was appropriate.)

Gearbox AUT
    Colour COSMOSSCHWARZ METALLIC (303)
    Upholstery SONDERPOLSTERUNG/OHNE FARBANGABE (Z1XX)
    Prod. date 1997-03-07
    Order options
    No. Description
    216 SERVOTRONIC
    243 AIRBAG FOR FRONT PASSENGER
    401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
    423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
    428 WARNING TRIANGLE
    431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
    459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W MEMORY F DRIVER
    481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    528 AUTOMATIC AIR RECIRCULATION CONTROL(AUC)
    669 RADIO BMW BUSINESS RDS
    676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
    694 PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER
    704 M SPORT SUSPENSION
    710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
    806 3RD STOP LIGHT
    812 ENGLAND VERSION
    850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
    853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
    863 EUROPE/DEALER DIRECTORY
    877 DELETION CROSS-OVER OPERATION
    880 ENGLISH/OWNERS HANDBOOK/SERVICE BOOKLET
    940 SPECIAL REQUEST EQUIPMENT

Individual data
    Remaining interior trim: M5SH
    Processing individual
    Sign "individual"
    Special series
    E31 Sport Edition - Great Britain
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Keder an Fahrer- und Beifahrersitz in Nappa silbergrau dunkel
    (Nr. 2 252 989)
    Restliche Innenausstattung wie bei Leder Nappa silbergrau hell,
    Schl.Nr. M5SH

0940 Special request
    BMW Leichtmetallraeder geschmiedet, 8J/9J x 17, M5-Styling,
    Bereifung 235/45 / 265/40 ZR 17, wie BMW 850 CSi
    Frontschürze und Heckdiffusor vom BMW 850CSi.
    Außenspiegel vom BMW 850CSi
    Dachhimmel, A- und C-Saeulenverkleidung in schwarz analog E31
    Color-Line, wie Schl.Nr. N1CL

• Has anyone got EDC on there 840CI? Ive dont think ive ever seen one.

Also it says that Indivdual is a no-cost option. The person who bought my 840CI new paid £2000 for the paint work and another £2000 for the interior as i have got the original invoice.

• Yes, the car that Seb was looking at --- which started this discussion thread ---has EDC. It's not a Sport version.

Build Sheet:

Colour ARKTISSILBER METALLIC (309)
    Upholstery LEDER NAPPA/SCHWARZ (M5SW)
    Prod. date 1996-10-29

Order options
    No. Description
    223 ELECTRONIC DAMPER CONTROL (EDC)
    255 SPORTS LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
    299 LT/ALY WHEELS W MIXED TYRES
    353 ANTI-GLARE STRIP FRONT + RR WINDOW
    401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
    423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
    428 WARNING TRIANGLE
    431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
    459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W MEMORY F DRIVER
    481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    528 AUTOMATIC AIR RECIRCULATION CONTROL(AUC)
    540 CRUISE CONTROL
    669 RADIO BMW BUSINESS RDS
    676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
    694 PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER
    812 ENGLAND VERSION
    850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
    863 EUROPE/DEALER DIRECTORY
    877 DELETION CROSS-OVER OPERATION
    880 ENGLISH/OWNERS HANDBOOK/SERVICE BOOKLET
    961 SPECIAL ENGINE

Are you interested in knowing more about EDC and 840's?

Also, I'm not surprised at the no-cost option --- however, is your invoice the actual dealer's bill of sale or the Window Sticker from BMW UK?

Cheers,

Jud

• Zitat

I have EDC on my 97 Ci Sport. At least I hope it is, with all this information being passed around

Yes, you have EDC on your car.

In fact, EDC was factory-installed on only 139 M62 RHD 840CiA out 1,470 produced (9.45%).

Cheers,

Jud

• So, I went to have a look at this car today. Looked pretty clean inside and out and despite having 127k on the odo, it drove well too, felt strong and the EDC seemed to be working. I knew that it had a cracked foglight, cracked repeater and was missing a piece of exterior trim on one of the skirts, one of the bits that covers the holes. Then I had a more thorough nose around and discovered that the air con wasn't working - pressing the a/c button had no effect on revs which to me says broken compressor. 2 out of 2 E31s I've looked at have had the same problem, what's going on? The guy reckoned it would just need a re-gas but I don't think so. It also appeared that one of the motors that lifts the passenger seat was bust as it was lifting from one side but not the other. Aagain he reckoned it was just a loose wire but it's much more likely to be the motor. The ABS light had come on though he said' he'd get this looked into and there were a couple of bits of loose trim though it was nothing major. Thing is, the garage is selling it on behalf of someone and the lowest price they gave me was buying direct from him but that was before I discovered these new faults. If he's not willing to go any lower then I'm probably going to walk away from this one as it's not going to be cheap to fix all those bits. Maybe driving Japanese cars has spoilt me, but it would be nice to buy a car that has everything working!

• Hi Jud,

I'm still confused about what is or is not a "Sport".
    According to my local UK BMW Dealer, my car is a "plain Ci", but in that case, the original owner must have been mad, because adding all the extras fitted onto a "base" Ci would have made this a very expensive 840 indeed!
    There was a debate before about whether an EDC equipped car could be a Sport as it wouln't have the M Suspension.
    My build sheet - again from the dealer - doesn't show some of the dealer's work after purchase, such as PDC or (so I am told) the replacement of the charcoal headlining back to light grey......because the owner didn't like it!
    Can you please throw some light on this?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!