Carbon Fiber Parts

• Hello All,

I would like to gauge interest on what carbon fiber parts you guys would like for your 8. I have an opportunity to work with a company that specializes in high quality carbon fiber (dry, vaccuum formed, not wet layed) hoods, trunks, spoilers..etc.

I have volunteered my 8 for some part design and would like your feedback. (This is serious, not a joke thread) Rather than doing one off parts to make mine one of a kind, I'd like to share the opportunity with our community with parts that we may have always wanted, but no one makes for us or is almost impossible to get.

The company is http://www.vorsteiner.com

Here's a list of potential items:

1) M8 or Alpina hood w/ head light covers
    2) M8 front bumper cover
    3) CSI mirrors
    4) Rear Diffuser
    5) Head Liner, A & C pillars (for those who have sagging upholstery)
    6) CSI front chin spoiler (with fogs)
    7) CSL style trunk w/ built in lip spoiler
    8 ) Head Light Buckets (similar to the C5 Vette head light conversion http://www.westcoastcorvette.c…2-c5-r-headlight-kit.aspx )

Please feel free to add to the list or vote for what I've listed already.

Regards,

John P.

• John,

I am not a total purist. The Alpina louvered hood would be top choice. I do like the C5-R headlight kit but prefer the old Dinan carbon fiber without headlight cutouts (which means modified bumper level as Dinan did).

I also like the Dinan style front bumper that went with the hood. Does anyone know who made those for Dinan?

Front fenders with 599 or Z06 outlet would also be cool.

How many do you need to commit to for them to run a batch?

Regards,

Michael

• Thanks for your input guys..hopefully we can stir more. There's not really a minimum order but it would be nice if we can make the money back for the tooling. I have approx. $4000 I've plan to invest in tooling. So if we decide to make hoods, it would take about 12 hoods to break even with the tooling. If we can get tooling done for a hood and a chin spoiler for $4000 (or multiple items) then we could potentially cut number of orders in half. If we can break even with tooling, then anything after that is just a bonus.

Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks,

John P.

• Michael,

I think there was a company who may have made an Alpina hood already. Here's the thread I found it on.

http://www.clube31.net/forum/v…=carbon+fiber+alpina+hood

They are in the U.K. and I think they were priced at $4000! I think if we go for a hood from Vorsteiner, it would be under $1500.

Nice call with the Dinan front!

Regards,

John P.

• My dream list for a crash diet on my 8.

-Hood, Alpina style ( I want this bad)
    -Mirros, Csi style
    -Doors
    -Front wings
    -Boot/trunk lid, as original
    -Nosecone with Csi front spoiler
    -Rear bumper and Csi defuser
    -Sunroof

Interior parts like center console, pillar covers and various trim.

Would be nice to get rid of 100-150 kilos of metal, and have an 850 CSL :D
    Sadly the cost could not be justified.

I intend to put Csi optics on my car, and the Alpina hood too (if I can find one).
    So if you go through with this, put me down for a Alpina hood, any Csi parts would also be good.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Any more ineterests? Also, if we decide to do a Alpina hood, wouldn't there be a design patent infringements? Perhaps the vents could slightly be modified to a bit more unique look? Something that would compliment the 8's curves?

John P.

• Zitat von E31Gill

for me it would have to be the chin spoiler, rear diffuser and mirror housings. How much cheaper would all this be compared to main dealer offerings?

:shock: How much Cheaper :shock: what makes you think it would be cheaper :shock: this is Bespoke Carbon Fibre & cheaper doesn't usually get used in the same sentance :shock::lol::lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Thanks Steve for the clarification! :D

I don't think the parts would be cheaper, but it will be top quality Carbon Fiber. For the quailty and the clout of our cars, I would think the pricing would be compared to parts for (U.S.) Corvette owners.

I was also thinking, rather than copying the CSI pieces exactly, putting a little flair to it. (Like the fog addition on the chin spoiler pictured in my photoshop rendering) I'm not critizing the CSI look in any way, but it would make more sense (since these parts would cost more cents) to put a unique look that would not offend the purists as well.

Like I had mentioned before, I just want to offer the 8 community a chance to create our Ultimate 8!

Cheers,

John P.

• Once I get my 8er (Whenever that is) I would love to have replica M8 aero components (especially the rear fenders). I have also been thinking of contacting a few companies to see if they would custom make Euro clear turn signals all around. Think about it, I would be the only one in the world with clear signals! Ha Ha Ha :lol:

Schalldampfer1
    Proud owner of 1996 e36 M3 Coupe 5sp
    & 2000 e39 528I
    Hope to be proud owner of e31 850 CSi

• Zitat von NetworkLabs

I'd be up for an Alpina look-alike-ish hood/bonnet (dependant on shipping/import costs though!! :? )

at a guess do not expect any change from £1500/£2000 :wink:or you can have my old one for £700 :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!